Linux 'most' stable versions ?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the crux of the question. And all there is, is a silence ?

From what I can tell, they have a relationship with a guy named Alex (abique); he not a staffer and does these Linux builds at will. To me, it sounds like a loose arrangement and the builds come sporadically as a result.
Most of the builds work well for me and I'm not complaining about their reliability. Although, I'd really like to see the 'preset browser hump' crossed--which I know they're working on across the board. I trust all that's coming; I only wish the Linux build process and distribution was a bit more solid and predictable. Maybe this is too much to ask right now, I'm not sure.

Alex is doing a fantastic job with these Linux builds.

I personally miss a bit more structure in the Linux releases as well. A single official page that is easy to find where all the stable and experimental versions are listed would be a great start.

Currently all the information is spread over two forums, the u-he main page and the u-he file vault. It's really hard to tell what can be found where and which version is currently the best choice.

Well, (just in case) don't forget the reddit page that Alex created. I haven't took a look in months - since as I've stated here, I'm interested in installing what are considered status-4408 products (for lack of better term, do not want to use the ambiguous 'stable' term) and not several interim builds - although that would be the place to get news, builds and interact.

Cheers.

mevla wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm This is the crux of the question. And all there is, is a silence ?
The linux versions work, the instruments/effects are world class.
This is not a time to worry about labeling and numbering,
which are so diverse and lacking of definition, throughout
the industry, as to be meaningless in the face of
such great potential usage, and untold hours of future enjoyment.
Enjoy the gold which others have dug for us :hyper: :party: :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:29 am
mevla wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 pm This is the crux of the question. And all there is, is a silence ?
The linux versions work, the instruments/effects are world class.
This is not a time to worry about labeling and numbering,
which are so diverse and lacking of definition, throughout
the industry, as to be meaningless in the face of
such great potential usage, and untold hours of future enjoyment.
Enjoy the gold which others have dug for us :hyper: :party: :hyper:
There are open bug reports on the reddit page, including from the 4408 series. It would be good to know what is happening with Linux as a platform.

Haven't been any showstopper bugs that I know of.
Assuming one is willing to be flexible regarding
gui interface choices, audio interface choices,
and willing to invest in the hardware best suited
to vst use in general.

Realities that slowed productivity were linux problems,
which Abique was able to solve, and with some nice
input from other linux coders. He's been like a goalie
whose own team starts kicking the ball towards his net :dog:
And yet he still wins :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pmHe's been like a goalie
whose own team starts kicking the ball towards his net
Uhm, yeah, sure.

Note:

It is as it has always been: There is no Linux developer at u-he headquarters, no linux-savvy support staff and not even anyone who uses Linux on a regular basis. This will not change unless Linux market share pays for two full time employees. All we have is some infrastructure (servers and stuff) and our QA tests basic functionality.

We are still happy to have Abique build Linux versions, and we're happy to pay for that, because maybe it'll pay off in the long run. But it also means, Abique is the only person who can offer support. As Abique moved all discussion to Reddit, he will not give support on KVR.

But anyhow, we might get that subforum now, so maybe we can get Abique back over here.

Urs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:18 pm
glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pmHe's been like a goalie
whose own team starts kicking the ball towards his net
Uhm, yeah, sure.
Yikes! :o I totally flubbed that wording! :dog:
I didn't mean the U-he guys were kicking the wrong way,
but that the linux community at large sometimes does,
failing to appreciate the significance of the project,
and the difficulties overcome so far, compared to
occasional minor issues.

I guess I'll go buy something, as penance for typing
before thinking...annndddd not getting A's in
the kings english.
Cheers
and Happy Thanksgiving!

Lucky me, a sale is happening :party:
Got the Dark Zebra, there are such great
sounds in just the first 20 or so tried so far.
And the gui is a great blend of colors.
Back to work...380 more presets to go,
and zero, zip nada eyestrain on the horizon 8)
Cheers

Urs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm Note:

It is as it has always been: There is no Linux developer at u-he headquarters, no linux-savvy support staff and not even anyone who uses Linux on a regular basis. This will not change unless Linux market share pays for two full time employees. All we have is some infrastructure (servers and stuff) and our QA tests basic functionality.

We are still happy to have Abique build Linux versions, and we're happy to pay for that, because maybe it'll pay off in the long run. But it also means, Abique is the only person who can offer support. As Abique moved all discussion to Reddit, he will not give support on KVR.

But anyhow, we might get that subforum now, so maybe we can get Abique back over here.
Urs, this might be ridiculous, but I'm willing to help in any way I can. I'm a pretty savvy Linux user, a developer by day, and have a decent foundation in C/C++ and low-level (read: no frameworks) VST2 plugins. As of now, I simply point out issues on reddit. However, if you want cheap/free help, I'm willing!
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

I'd be willing to help too. I'm adept with Linux and could perform tests. A developer, I am not; C/C++, only real experience is with Arudino.
My attitude, I'd help just for the experience here.
... So there, Urs, people are throwing themselves at you--see that, abique goalie joke :wink:

Urs wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:42 pm ... This will not change unless Linux market share pays for two full time employees.
Btw, are you sure you're able to gauge your Linux market (existing and potential) properly? I recall in the past you mentioned gauging this upon download numbers. I can't imagine that's an accurate picture. Also, what of the case where a Linux user has bought a soundset; how do you tell? This too should be considered 'Linux revenue,' correct?

Moin moin Urs,

We all know about the situation regarding Linux versions. That's not the main point. It is about having 'stable' releases being 'promoted' to the u-he web site. So that instead of downloading interim versions now and then one could go to the u-he web site and see what's deemed as current versions.

We all know also that any software has bugs. Nothing is said about the Windows releases but there are comments about 4408 still having bugs. Is this an unfair focus ?

I run 4408 and 4452 since almost 3 years now. They are just fine. Take a listen to my latest, "Orbital".

Now, one person does not make a customer array, but these synths can't be that bad, isn't it ? That would be the underlying principle to 'promote' a version to the web site.

It's also great to see people wanting to help in the development although the NDAs and the moving of source code from one country to another might not be something that's wanted.

Cheers.

Return to “u-he Linux support”