ZebraHZ 2.8 update, and Funkstation for Repro!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:19 pm
Also, is there a demo? Is it an own .vst or some additional license to normal Zebra .vst?
There is no demo. It does run as a separate plugin and requires a Zebra2 license in addition to the soundset purchase. Perhaps think of it first as an incredibly cool soundset...and it has other unique features included because they are required by those patches.

I am a Dark Knight fan and big fan of Hans, Howard, and Urs. This is like owning a piece of synth, sound design, and film making history. The patches are incredible. I do wish there was a "player" version that I could get as a gift for my brother, since the Zebra2+ZebraHZ would definitely be overkill for him and he wouldn't get the value out of it and its features. But definitely worth the value for me!

Keep in mind that with ZebraHZ, you can upgrade to Zebra3 for free when that happens. Otherwise, looks like the upgrade will be $30 from Zebra2 to Zebra3. So if this interests you, and you plan to get Zebra3 regardless, you can essentially decide if this carries about a $70 value for you...

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

The Zebra 3 deal tipped me, and yeah its like having a Dave Smith instrument that was circuit bent by Dave for Movies (Hypothetically). But in a way better and much less expensive. Also little gems come out now and then like this sound set a couple of weeks ago.

https://sonicunderworld.com/dark-zebra-maridor/

joeyluck wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 pm requires a Zebra2 license in addition to the soundset purchase
The soundset is awesome for sure, but I never use soundsets, since I want to design the sound exactly matching my song. Sometimes I use a good preset as a base, but already have enough. So I do not criticize the soundset or its quality, but the way you are forced to buy it to get the ZebraHZ capabilities (and pay extra amount for it). Back in time, when ZebraHZ was new, it was a good marketing strategy for sure, making lot of people on the web telling that story behind U-He and HZ. But now time have passed, a lot of time, also Dark Knight passed away. Honestly I was expecting all these features in "Zebra" and no special versions anymore. Just my two cents.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 am
joeyluck wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 pm requires a Zebra2 license in addition to the soundset purchase
The soundset is awesome for sure, but I never use soundsets, since I want to design the sound exactly matching my song. Sometimes I use a good preset as a base, but already have enough. So I do not criticize the soundset or its quality, but the way you are forced to buy it to get the ZebraHZ capabilities (and pay extra amount for it). Back in time, when ZebraHZ was new, it was a good marketing strategy for sure, making lot of people on the web telling that story behind U-He and HZ. But now time have passed, a lot of time, also Dark Knight passed away. Honestly I was expecting all these features in "Zebra" and no special versions anymore. Just my two cents.
As I said, double whatever modules won't happen in Zebra. Unless of course we want usability and patch quality to degrade. I've written hundreds of posts on the topic since 2005.

Diva's filters pay for a half of our salaries. I won't put them into a free Zebra upgrade. If I did, I'd actually charge as much as The Dark Zebra for it. If we put them into such an upgrade, we'd force people to take it. That's pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing so far and IMHO not a good move. And I still don't think that Diva filters in Zebra are a good match. In the meantime Hans has done scores with Diva, maybe also because he came to the same conclusion.

Leaves the resonator module (which was put together in a haste) and the post VCA compressors. Those come to Zebra 3, a paid upgrade. Which just doesn't seem to ever surface, as long as we need to chase up with OS updates and stuff.

Ok :) Sounds straightforward thought. I am already happy then if I will be able to have some of these in Zebra3, an update I am very willing to pay. VCA comps must be awesome. And what if you would offer ZebraHZ without the soundset, for an reduced price?

It is, what it is.
rsp
sound sculptist

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:21 pm Ok :) Sounds straightforward thought. I am already happy then if I will be able to have some of these in Zebra3, an update I am very willing to pay. VCA comps must be awesome. And what if you would offer ZebraHZ without the soundset, for an reduced price?
$100 and you get a bunch of features worth well more than that price... you also get a great soundset which even if you do not use the presets for playing is a treasure trove of learning... finally, you get a free upgrade to Zebra 3.

My apologies to the thread, but I find it frustrating the frequency with which users try to bully their way to a cheaper price for something that is already a great deal to begin with.

You can, of course, open any of the original Zebra patches in and have access to all the new features in it.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 am ...also Dark Knight passed away
False. He lives.

Here is proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YW1jwwtclo

8)

:tu: Ok, I'll shut up now.

This is fantastic. Great update! I am loving the new UI, it is much more inviting for me.

I also had a problem accessing the download, but U-he sent me a new one on a Sunday morning. I feel kinda guilty, but that is amazing support. Thank you Viktor!

And thank you U-he team!

8) :love:

Any chance Han's/Howie might share a few Dunkirk/BR 2049 patches ?

FWIW it never even occurred to me that I was paying for a soundset as opposed to an extended version of Zebra. I've occasionally bought sound sets to learn some programming techniques but I never use their sounds (no judgment here on those who do - plenty of great players use them, it's just not how I work).
I assumed the soundset was tacked on to the HZ version of Zebra as a bonus for people who are really into Hans Zimmer or Batman films.
The cost of HZ is a small price to pay for the resonator, VCAs, Diva filters (less important to me but I do use them on occasion) and now the extra mod matrix slots and MSEGs (VERY useful to me). That's what I paid for, and it was more than my money's worth before 2.8 - now it's an even more ridiculous bargain.
If you don't need these things, don't buy it. My only quibble is that the resonator is mono - but that's only a quibble in that I wish there was a ZebraHZ-Plus with stereo and/or multiple resonator instances. As is it's a bargain.
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

As for the other news... I’m loving the Funkstation soundset! And while I listen to a lot of funk, it’s not what I create. But there is a nice variety of sounds here for synthwave, prog, pop etc. Wonderfully meticulous programming of course - more brilliant work by Howard. Thanks!

Return to “u-he”