Zebra 3 feature suggestions

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:16 pm- Even more flat, less photoshop-shadowy and rationalized design, see plugmon.jp "Neumann" skin, very nice IMO
3D renders with shadows are not the same as a 2D UI with Photoshop drop shadows. I don't think U-he does the latter anymore.

The Neumann skin looks cool but there is hardly any hierarchy to it visually. (everything looks just as important and isn't separated)

Sure, I mean the general flat-design UI look of the Neumann skin. I think it actually also is from ergonomic point of view very benefitical. Of course U-He could improve it hierarchically and so on.

That said I also just love the pixelart of the Repro-5 skin for example. It looks gorgeous, like Amiga pixel art in modern. Still I think Zebra should focus more on a real workstation, workflow optimized GUI. Repro-5 of course also is nicely usable.

I love the recent talk about advanced MSEGs. Zebra 2 already has some very creative and useful functions in its custom user LFOs (e.g, select and manipulate every other point), and it would be exciting to see them incorporated into more advanced MSEGs alongside other drawing/editing possibilities.

I appreciate the power and customization capabilities of Zebra's modular approach, and the quality of its sound. At the same time, I sometimes get a bit lost in the complexity of modular, when trying to figure out how to tweak an existing preset, or going back and re-learning how I set up a patch some time ago.

I've found the modulation routing approach in Arturia's Pigments helpful for tweaking and designing relatively complex patches. While playing and listening to a patch, seeing a small but complete overview of all the modulator signals helps me to determine or recall which modulator is doing what more quickly. If a modular synth environment like Zebra incorporated this type of modulation overview, that would be pretty interesting.

bboxdw wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:27 pm ...a small but complete overview of all the modulator signals helps me to determine or recall which modulator is doing what more quickly. If a modular synth environment like Zebra incorporated this type of modulation overview, that would be pretty interesting.
:tu: I've been asking for that too, as it's rather important for sound design on complex synths. The mod matrix could also be this list, if sortable by source or target.

Howard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:41 am :tu: I've been asking for that too, as it's rather important for sound design on complex synths. The mod matrix could also be this list, if sortable by source or target.
And filterable by source or target!

Howard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:41 am :tu: I've been asking for that too, as it's rather important for sound design on complex synths. The mod matrix could also be this list, if sortable by source or target.
Interesting point. Having some sort of visual feedback in the mod matrix would keep it out of the way for those who didn't want to see it all the time, and place it alongside (or perhaps even integrated with) the relevant parameter controls. Perhaps any animation/visual feedback could be disabled for those who don't prefer this.

Hey everybody, my first post here.
First of all: I am really looking forward to a Zebra 3 with MPE support. (Yup, Seaboard user here.)
It will be glorious!

I have to join in on this one: Visual feedback on all modulation going on, - I think it is here to stay. I am loving it in Cypher2, Massive X, Reaktor Blocks and others. Coming from years of analog modular synthesis, THIS is an area where software rules. If you are just doing completly mainstream stuff, you may say "yes I know exactly what that LFO is doing without a visual feedback", but I can tell you, in the heat of the moment in a everything-modulates-everything situation, I know that one can NOT always know exactly what is going on.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet: All oscillators as modulation sources. This is one of the reasons I am completely in love with Cypher2. (That, and the out-of-the-ordinary extensive list of modulation sources. And yes, there is a folder-like organization of them. ;-) )

And then I would not mind if the MSEG's would be able to have perhaps 64 points instead of 32?

So here is a feature request that I haven't seen mentioned so far (and that AFAIK no synth has): full screen zero distraction mode.

I got back into hardware again after 15+ years of not owning a hardware synth and I noticed how when using hardware a bigger part of my brain was focused on the sound instead of the UI in the screen. It's pretty much impossible for a midi controller to be able to fully control Zebra (maybe in MIDI2) but I think a full screen minimalistic UI could help here in replicating this experience.

pierb wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:28 pmSo here is a feature request that I haven't seen mentioned so far (and that AFAIK no synth has): full screen zero distraction mode.
I believe VCV Rack has a full screen option.

If not already mentioned:
Would be great to have a shift step left/right in the arp/sequencer window as it is possible in Hive.
Maybe also a shift up/down by semi-tones, but that would be nice to have.

I didn't see this here already so I'll make the suggestion:
Hi-Res (14-bit) MPE aftertouch, such as that supported by the Continuum.

And not so much a suggestion as a plea to keep something that I use all the time in Z2 : old-school polyphonic aftertouch.
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

Is Zebra 3 going to be released at some point of life? :D

Igro wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm Is Zebra 3 going to be released at some point of life? :D
Stay healthy! Keep moving, eat proper food, don't overdo the bad stuff. Hang in there.

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm
Igro wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm Is Zebra 3 going to be released at some point of life? :D
Stay healthy! Keep moving, eat proper food, don't overdo the bad stuff. Hang in there.
While waiting for Z3, I can definitely attest that a healthy dose of Zebra 2 is an excellent way to keep the both mind and soul healthy. :tu:

Urs wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm
Bad stuff is GAS to other synths. But I've been strong. :cry:

Return to “u-he”