Hive update plan

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 amI love Hive, but I'm being left out buy this scripting, and I don't know why.
Nobody is left out... that is just some weird insecurity of your own and has nothing to do with Hive

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:11 am Welp, I'm in wait and see mode. I love it and I want to use it, but I don't have a compiler, and I am not interested in mousehead synth. I'm also not going to buy zebra just to work with hive as an end user. Hopefully the included waves will be all I ever need out of this piece because I want to love it. I'm unable to make .uhm scripts at this time on windows though. very frustrating for everyone. I will check in when 1.5 or 1.2 or what ever it is is released.
First of all: it's okay for you to be unsettled by change. That's how you feel.

The reason why you get so much negative reaction is that you're spreading misinformation as facts. And spreading them ultimately doesn't help. You think you're helping but you're not.

You don't need a development environment, compiler, repository or anything else professional developers use, to write or simply use these scripts. If you want to try scripting, use a text editor which supports saving with file type other than .txt. If you don't, there is no need.

You don't need Zebra to make use of wavetables in Hive. Zebra will just be able to export wave tables. Doesn't have any implications for Hive.

All this is is a feature addition for free (wavetables on top of the previous wave forms). You want there not to be anything in Hive that you're not using. And you think that you're not going to use the new feature.

This is something that only makes sense for someone who is afraid of change. There are companies which don't continue improving and extending their products after the release. Those will be better suited to your needs.

U-he is famous for offering customers continuing feature enhancements for free without breaking the product or the presets and for many, this, paired with the usability and sound quality, is why they love the company and its products. There is no use in trying to resist what is making the company successful by arguing that the very culture is driving away customers.

You either learn not to use the parts you don't want to use or you will be very unhappy. You can't force U-he not to do what they do to keep their customers happy or make new customers interested.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Man this is really starting to become ridiculous.

Dasheesh, how hard is it to understand that you're not being left out, at all? You can use any UHM scripts anybody else wrote, you don't need to know how to write them, you don't need to know anything except just selecting a particular wavetable from the menu - just like any other waveform that was already there like saw, square, whatever. How hard is that?!

Scripting is in there for those who purposefully want to exploit the cool stuff it can offer, to make great sounding wavetables for those who just want to have a greater selection of oscillator waveforms. It's an ecosystem. Deal with it.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:11 amI don't have a compiler, and I am not interested in mousehead synth. I'm also not going to buy zebra just to work with hive as an end user.
Where do you get those ideas from?

I think maybe you're feeling left out because a few dozen people here have followed the development since early on, and now it's a bit of a mess of threads and information to catch up. I think once we have a polished version with clear documentation of what's new, it'll be all very different - and not exclusive at all. But as of now, I'm sorry, other people apparently have a way more informed view on things and maybe it makes sense to hear them out.

I'll also bring on a quick recap of findings that led to the new concepts:
  • More waveforms is the top feature request for Hive, always was. Whether you need them or not, they were always gonna come, it hasn't ever been a secret, we always said so.
  • "Wavetable Synth pls" is the top request for future products at u-he
  • Hive is "too simple and overpriced" is the top criticism on Hive
  • adding Wavetable Synthesis is a solution for all 3 points. I hope I do not need to explain that, it's utterly obvious.
  • however, in my view, Wavetable synthesis has always been flawed (artifacts, editors available). Making your own is frustrating - it should not be a necessity. People are commonly better off with a thorough, high quality factory library.
  • using third party apps to create such a library has proven flawed and tedious, just like it is for end users. There's great stuff there, but it doesn't let us do the things we wanted
  • furthermore, a large library of .wav based wavetables adds hundreds of megabytes to the download
  • developing a wavetable creation language in .uhm scripts has made it easy for us to produce a factory library which meets our quality goals (adding WT export to Zebra too, but that ain't the big issue here)
  • .uhm scripts work exactly like .wav files, but commonly produce better results for wavetable synthesis than other means (editors available, sample conversion)
  • .uhm scripts are furthermore hundreds, if not thousand times smaller than corresponding .wav files
Now. Without *any* change in Hive's concept, hardly any change in UI anyway, we're adding sonic worlds you usually only get from much more complex synthesizers, some of which in a quality that even they can not reproduce. If you have not tried it yet, I'm sorry, you simply have no idea what is happening here and what the excitement is about.

Hive does not lose any of its playability and expressiveness. There are not a gazillion new options popping up which make the workflow difficult or tedious in any way. To the contrary. Hive simply gets a broader sonic territory *without* adding excessive complexity. As a bonus, it's extensible. If something is missing, we can post it here and people can put it into Hive.

I don't really understand .uhm scripts - are they not still referencing a wav file or are they using some fancy math to generate a wavetable procedurally?

They can do both.

But largely they just use fancy math, in order to keep the files small :)

And these are a u-he invention or based on something that was already in existence?

Serum has something similar but u-he made it nicer and more flexible.

Will there be an option to click in the Hive interface to open the currently active uhm in my text-editor?

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:42 am Serum has something similar but u-he made it nicer and more flexible.
I thought Serum just used wavs not scripts?

It has a formula parser as well, to generate waveforms/wavetables.

.uhms are on a completely different level, though. Pretty amazing stuff.

sorry, i had to go to bed and sleep on it. i spent all day with hive yesterday teaching myself the script and was ready to start scripting only to find out i couldn't use my text editor and i couldn't write over the example files, i'm going to try downloading another text editor and try again.

Sounds like permissions issue on Hive's .data folder.

Return to “u-he”