[.uhm] FM Synthesis in Hive

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:20 pm Not sure what's confusing about downloading a ZIP file, but alright.
What Zip file?

Wouldn't the Patch Library work? Sure, you might have to download scripts individually or as part of a collection an author posts but it has the advantages of 1) already existing, 2) being less confusing than Github, and 3) already being familiar to the U-he userbase.

I do agree with the point made earlier that not including the scripts as part of the patches themselves is going to add some additional confusion/complexity. Some users will inevitably download a preset, assume the WT is included in the preset, then delete the script and wonder why the patch sounds wrong month's later. From the little I've interacted with the WT's and scripts, I think they're probably a bit too geeky for primetime in their current state, and only because I feel like a small portion of the end-user base would find it too easy to screw things up. Two things that I think would improve usability is to 1) allow developers to save the a "default state" for each WT so it gets loaded wtih a set of default settings like table position, frames, etc. (similar to an OSC preset in Zebra), and 2) embedding WTs in the presets. The scripts can exist as a separate entity in case the user wants to reuse the WT in a different patch, but at no point should a user have a patch without the corresponding WT loading correctly. This would basically protect users from themselves while still offering the same amount flexibility as current.

Anyway, not sure if that would work, but I'm trying to think of it from the perspective of, "what might a young version of me do and how can we stop that from happening?"

Well if u-he are going to host .uhm files I think they should transfer/migrate all the old user patch library to the new site first...Ooh just checked & the old patch library page is back up. :tu:
https://u-he.com/PatchLib/

Maybe have a 'geek script' toggle switch on the wavetable UI. Default is 'simpleton script'.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Urs wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 am It would be good to have the equivalent of a photo gallery with the option to view the file, explain what it does, add audio demos and presets and so on. Maybe there is already a platform for stuff like that?
I don't think there's a platform with all those specific features in one place. It would need to support rich media content like embeds, code highlighting, attachments... and ability to download files without registration :) However, what you're describing is a perfect format for a blog post. Or rather a nice series of blog posts on your site, with some great marketing opportunities :hihi: The uhms and preset files could be distributed via PatchLib, audio demos on Soundcloud or Youtube, code snippets - GitHub or Pastebin. Not sure how submission of user scripts would work though...

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:20 pm Not sure what's confusing about downloading a ZIP file, but alright.
What Zip file?
Didn't you see the pic that I posted? On every git repository page, there's a "Clone or download" button, you click it and then Download ZIP. Eeeeeeasy.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 pm
What Zip file?
Didn't you see the pic that I posted? On every git repository page, there's a "Clone or download" button, you click it and then Download ZIP. Eeeeeeasy.
Sure... I saw that... So there is option Clone with HTTPS, there is "use SSH" and "use GIT or checkout with SVN using the web url" and option Download Zip (most of that sounds like a foreign language)

Okay, now what am I downloading? Usually underneath is a bunch of different files. It's never clear to me which file I'm downloading. And the whole page is intimidating. It's full of stuff that is visually dense.

I find even that single page confusing. And we are talking about hundreds of scripts by different authors. There has got to be something better.

knowix wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:54 pm Those formant examples make me wonder whether you could do basic word synthesis with the formant sounds coming from one oscillator/env/filter and the other side shaping the hard consonants from noise.
My guess is that it's possible within single wt even without additional oscs, envelopes and filters. But the waveform will be too dense to control manually, so you'd need to use very precise automation in your DAW to make words. Haven't tried it myself yet.

pdxindy is right, Urs needs to code a new branch of Git without the nonsense download options. Just a red 'download me' button. Also a 'download me NOW' blinking green button for Urs' favourite scripts. The green button is there to encourage scriptwriting: you only get it by impressing the guru. Another good idea is different luminosity and blink rates for the green button: dim and slow for mildly impressed; fast and bright if he's really excited.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Sure, the PatchLib is fine, but it's painful! I don't want to click download on every wavetable/group or keep track of when updates come out. For geeks like me, I'm simply going to script something that fetches all the links. For other users, hopefully they have the patience to use the site.

It's fair to assume that those creating these scripts are technically inclined and can figure out git if they don't already use it non-stop. For end-users, it can be made even easier than whatever you were providing as an example. A nice big link in the README which GH will automatically show is one way, or direct linking to the releases section works as well.

I don't see any other ideas being passed around (aside from the existing PatchLib). How about we remain constructive other than simply saying no?
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

Who created the tubular bell script? Can't find it...

Howard wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:12 am Who created the tubular bell script? Can't find it...
It's in the attached zip there: viewtopic.php?p=7177495#p7177495

I should have known it was Denis :-) - thanks

Hi,

Can someonegive me a tip on how to „squarify“ a wave, I.e., removing odd harmonics?

I was thinking of using spectral and modula 2 division, but so far havent got the idea on how to let this fly.

Thanks,

K

I mean, of course, removing even harmonics from an existing wave.

Speaking of squarifying, there should be a set of design patterns as uhm scripts for the wavetable spectral functions found, eg. in Zebra and Serum. My own experiences point to the conclusion that not everyone is born to be a wavetable script hacker ;)

ZaBong69 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:14 pm I mean, of course, removing even harmonics from an existing wave.

Speaking of squarifying, there should be a set of design patterns as uhm scripts for the wavetable spectral functions found, eg. in Zebra and Serum. My own experiences point to the conclusion that not everyone is born to be a wavetable script hacker ;)
I haven't delved in to uhm scripts yet, but do intend to. I have two ways to squarify a waveform though that you might find useful:

1. Invert the original waveform, change it's phase by half a cycle, add it to the original waveform and reduce the amplitude by 50 %.
2. For a 2048 sample waveform, take 1024 consecutive samples (part A), e.g., 1-1024, 1025-2048, 111-1134, create an inverted version of that (PART b), and stitch parts A and B together to create a new waveform.

Depending on the input waveform, each approach can give different output waveforms, but both squarified. A noise sample can also be squarified this way too!

EDIT: Added some examples with Mathematica code:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cytospur on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Return to “u-he”