[.uhm] FM Synthesis in Hive

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 am There goes CPU efficiency of Hive, then. Probably ain't happening :)
No, wouldn't affect CPU efficiency at all. It could be like: change those parameters to your likings and then press a button to recalculate the wavetables. That would be completely offline and the CPU efficiency of Hive would be maintained.

Whether it will happen is in the hands of the devs ;) And I don't expect it to be too soon. (except Urs really likes it) And yeah, maybe it's a bit off-topic...

Like so:

Code: Select all

Info "Generate Noise"

Define target=var1 label="Seed" type=randint

Seed = var1
Wave "1-rand*2"

Now in GUI anybody can change the "Seed" knob to re-render wavetable with new seed. No need to save countless versions of the script with different "Seed = 1351384351" lines.

Back to FM, I think I figured out how to make proper formants in Wave mode. I was reading about standing waves on Wikipedia and guess what... formants ARE standing waves! Who would've thought :hihi: And standing waves are caused by waves moving in opposite directions. So I tried just that:

Code: Select all

NumFrames = 40

Wave "sin(2*pi*phase*10 + table*2)"
Wave "sin(2*pi*phase*(1+frame - table*8))" blend=multiply

Envelope L0=0 T1=0.1 L1=1 T2=0.9 L2=0
Wave "x*env(phase)^2"
Wave "tanh(x*3)"

Spectrum lowest=0 highest=0 "0"
Normalize base=each
And here's me trying to say "Wall-E" using pitch/mod stick on my MIDI controller:

https://soundcloud.com/drzhnn/uhm-wavetable-test-9/

Awesome skills. Got a good laugh out of that! keep up with the formants :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Ha! Fun stuff!! :tu:

@drzhnn, I am LOVING what you're coming up with. I'm on Linux so I only have a testing version of the newest Hive through Wine, and I'll wait for a formal release to really dive into this.

Given that these are simple text files, can we please setup a Git repository for community contribution? I think that would be a great way to share/manage these. I know I'm going to be scouring these forums posts again when it's released if there's no convenient way to access them.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

sth wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:03 am Given that these are simple text files, can we please setup a Git repository for community contribution?
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you want me to create a dedicated GitHub Organization or upload my scripts to my profile for easy access?

I think the idea is to create a place to download and exchange .uhm files.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure if Github is a bit too much overkill for it. If anyone has a better idea which we could host, I'd be happy to dedicate webspace for this.

It would be good to have the equivalent of a photo gallery with the option to view the file, explain what it does, add audio demos and presets and so on. Maybe there is already a platform for stuff like that?

Agreed. I was suggesting GH since developers/scripters will be familiar with it, unfamiliar users can simply download a zip, and familiar users can sync and keep up to date with the repository. I'd prefer that over a huge list of downloading one-by-one and not knowing whether or not you've already downloaded it or if it's been updated.

A general submission/downloading solution is what I'm asking for. It's not that you have to set it up yourself, but something that you could contribute to.
Creator of Bitwiggers, the place to share Bitwig Presets.
Advocate for Bitwish, the place to vote on Feature Requests and discuss Bitwig.

Github is too geeky and hard to figure out... should be somewhere else (imo)

Those formant examples make me wonder whether you could do basic word synthesis with the formant sounds coming from one oscillator/env/filter and the other side shaping the hard consonants from noise.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:43 pm Github is too geeky and hard to figure out... should be somewhere else (imo)
Are you trying to say that .uhm files are not geeky enough for Github? :-o :hihi:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

pdxindy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:43 pm Github is too geeky and hard to figure out... should be somewhere else (imo)
Not really. It's really very simple:

Scripted wavetables are geekier than that!

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:11 pm
Not really. It's really very simple:

Scripted wavetables are geekier than that!
No, it isn't really very simple. If it was I would not consistently find it confusing.

Writing scripted wavetables is geeky. Being able to effectively look at and download the ones you want isn't. There must be something more user friendly than Github out there. If it were on Github I likely would not make much use of it.
Last edited by pdxindy on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not sure what's confusing about downloading a ZIP file, but alright.

Return to “u-he”