Presswerk causes crackles in Reaper

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I have a problem with Presswerk in Reaper.
I usually use it in punchy Limiter mode on the master bus for most of my Reaper projects.

Whenever I transport, e.g. position the play head, play/pause/play or play/stop/play there is a short crackle for 1 or 2 seconds like this: http://www.callistix.net/music/crackle.flac

This is quite annoying especially when bouncing the mix to disk, because i need to add some silence in the beginning every time, and then cut away the crackle with a sample editor.

The problem is less audible when using Smooth or Balanced Limiter mode.
It also doesn't seem to occur in normal Compressor mode, but I'm not sure if certain parameters in Compressor mode will cause it to crackle too.

Presswerk: Rev.7669, VST2, Linux 64bit
Daw: Reaper v5.95, Linux 64bit
Project: 48kHz, 24bit WAV, no xruns

This is probably better reported on https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux/ unless you can reproduce the problem on windows too.

No need to post this in a Linux forum.
In a few hosts, loading limiter view presets can cause this short crackle. Not sure why it also does it every time the transport is started, but I'll add that to the bug description in our database.
This is mainly happening in Limiter view, we are not sure yet what exactly causes it.

But as a workaround, once you have set the parameters in Limiter View the way you need them to be, click on the "Main View" button in the upper left corner of the GUI. This will switch back to default view, but retain all the settings from the Limiter View. It shouldn't crackle anymore now.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Could be a lookahead buffer that is cleared (or not) when skipping the cursor/playhead to a new position.
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

tasmaniandevil wrote:as a workaround, once you have set the parameters in Limiter View the way you need them to be, click on the "Main View" button in the upper left corner of the GUI.
Yes, that works for me. Thanks :)

Also heard it here in my setup, will try the workaround tomorrow.
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

We think we've found the issue that led to those crackles. Currently under test here.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Return to “u-he”