Orchestral Essence, an orchestral/hybrid soundset for zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Man that was a quiet example. Soundcloud's waveform suggests otherwise. I thought my speakers died suddenly! :oops:

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 am Man that was a quiet example. Soundcloud's waveform suggests otherwise. I thought my speakers died suddenly! :oops:
Yes! I use very good quality headphones and always work at 25% of volume on my system. But maybe Im being too cautious with volumes on the demos. I will try to amp a little on new ones. Probably the EQ on the strings is a bit too low as I reduced A LOT of the noise trhough EQ(inside zebra) mainly. Will have to look at it. Thanks!

-----

Almost finished the shorts. Nothing to do with the old ones as the punchyness doesn't come from resonances as I thought but from proper ADSRing (if you know what I mean). cheers.

(will edit very soon to post some example).

"I will try to amp a little on new ones."
Probably easiest to normalize the volume to 0dB before uploading.

Yeah, best normalize before upload. :)

I think I understand. I will normalize inside FLstudio so everything doesnt go over 0 db using a limiter on the master volume and keeping the tracks just about 0 db. Could that make the trick? If Im not mistaken my previous tracks were about - 6 db.

Nono… no limiting or similar! AFTER you have rendered your file (i.e. immediately before uploading to Soundcoud), use the function "Normalize" set it to 0dB (any audio editor - freeware Audacity will do) . Resave then upload to Soundcloud.

Howard wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm Nono… no limiting or similar! AFTER you have rendered your file (i.e. immediately before uploading to Soundcoud), use the function "Normalize" set it to 0dB (any audio editor - freeware Audacity will do) . Resave then upload to Soundcloud.
Thanks Howard! will do.

-Done. Sorry I always did everything inside FLstudio, but I see normalizing is quite a good tool. Will update last tracks.

Edited. Been working a lot on sections and shorts. Synthesis is very hard, indeed. Its causing me headaches, but getting there. Ill normalize everything to -1,5 DB (for now)as that is a comfortable volume without distortion(0db is very strong, even without FX). Cheers.

Ok. Last time I've been having my computer on suspend for so many work weeks and that messed up all my stuff. So I made a reset and everything works ok now, I can normalize as it should! (there is almost no difference if I normalize now even with FX and compression). That is normal because when Im Mixing a song usually I hear it pristine and without distortion at 0 or -1 db max... So something happened that messed up the audio.

I made another little sketch, 1 minute of ET theme using strings and brass instruments from the bank (Normalized to 0.0db). No midi massaging just a bit of mixing and the midi is almost untouched. Hope you hear it ok now and let me know if its low still, please! and remember to reset your computer sometimes because programs can mess up!

Lots to fix yet. Will keep you updated. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/ruberboy/et-endcredits-zebra

Hi all!

This is more or less the list of recent changes:

-Optimized most of the 80 patches made untill now(all filters in ECO mode, etc).
-Improved a lot of the string articulations. Still working on it. (including violins I and II, quite hard to do even a little chamber).
-Added controls like, vibrato + cutoff to some string arts. (testing now).
-Legatos, proven very difficult to do on a synth well. For now I will not include them, until I find a way to do it well. There is a dirty way using pitch but its too much work for the user. I may work out a solution (for now in the testing, too).
-Brass in general added more stuff (controlled vibrato, better sounding chords, etc).
-Started on percussion and woodwinds.(embrionary for now).

And a lot of stuff on the works. I dont know what is the direction of the soundbank but in general im happy it sounds good enough. I even finished the cover. I may post a little demo of new stuff, later. cheers.

Great! Keep it coming :)
Looking forward to it
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Thanks evilantal.

Made more sound tests. This time using Et theme "adventures on earth" with very little changes on the midi. First normal, then dry version. Brass and Strings, here you can hear a bit of the sections :).

Still working on the bank a lot, now I dont know when im going to finish it exactly but very soon. For now I experimented a bit and could get what you call "portamento legato", and I think it does its work very well (more on this, later).

Forgot to add, Still working on dynamics, but for now the idea is to have attack, release, and expression as the basics dynamics(you really dont need a lot to get expressive). Expression depending on the patch will be more body resonance (violins, etc) or filtering+volume.

Kind Regards.

https://soundcloud.com/ruberboy/et-adve ... nearth-zeb

https://soundcloud.com/ruberboy/et-adve ... rth-zebdry

Hi all.

As promised, been working in legatos. They are a complete bitch to do, but I found a solution that is "pretty" similar to (scripted?)legato transitions. I used many videos from sample libs and real instruments as reference but is very variable, so its just an approximation. The secret is in the filters + glide and making open and close (as the air you hear in those instruments). Still have to tweak a lot of it. Here is a small trombone demo (sorry for my sploppy playing and still a dark warm tone in this instrument patch). Probably will apply this "semilegato" to all instruments for playability. not bad for a synth I would say...

Well keep this updated as always its a wip, cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/ruberboy/trombonelegato-testzeb

Testing flutes... Made a small test using a classical piece but couldnt put It online, Next day I will put something more original.

By the way flutes are hard to emulate ( overtones, etc) but I think managed to get something fine. I will include flute, oboe, clarinet, english horn and bassoon for now as woodwinds. The hardest part is the round Robin which i find easier to do using phase modulation. Still experimenting.
Warm Regards.

kel, any news on your work?
great sounds...

tl wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm kel, any news on your work?
great sounds...
Thanks tl.

Been on holidays for a month, just started working again a few days ago, many thanks for your interest. As some of you know, Im an artist/animator so I want to finish the bank asap, so I can get to normal work again. This is irritating... too much time on the bank already as I should have finished many months ago.

im doing the last touches to strings, as they are the harder to do. Some instruments behave well, others are hard to make sound good (remember its synthesis). For example, French horns I did in tone they sound rather realistic, but its very difficult to emulate other aspects. Flutes the same, exact tone, synth dynamics. So if you dont mind having something that is a bit synthy but sounds good, then Im almost finished. I made fixed patches and randomized patches (attacks or lfos, etc) on everything so you can get a bit of variance.

So in resume, Im almost done on:

Brass: Trombones, Trumpets, French horns, Tubas(wip) and some general horn sounds.
Winds: Flute, piccolo, bassoon, clarinet, oboe, english horn(may I forgot something).
Strings: Section strings (containing patches that play together to get width), staccato strings, shorts and solo lines(not ultrarealistic). Working on violas and cellos.
Percussion: all done.
Mallets: Still to do, but its easy in comparison with others.

And all that is missing yet...

Still working on it. Most of the work is loading John Williams songs and trying to make it sound well enough... I should be working patch by patch, but its important to make it sound good. (for me at least).

I think its a very usable bank, for texture, and sometimes can sound convincing on its own alone, for being zebra.
Cheers.

Return to “u-he”