Orchestral Essence, an orchestral/hybrid soundset for zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

FastTriggerFish wrote:The trumpets sound amazing !
I've been curious about trumpet synthesis recently so I'd love to buy your soundset to deconstruct the patches.
In Zebra you can do all the complex acoustic stuff by using just several Msegs and envs, or even two envs(but harder). So when the sound of one module (envs and msegs) goes one direction, others go opposite. This can emulate a lot of effects. Zebra even has Xfader and round robin emulation(mmix) but I still have to learn how to use them. Amazing!

I remember doing this very thing in sytrus, which got editable ADSR curves like Zebra, but not as easy.

I wanted to buy physical modeling plugins in the past, but you can do the same if your plugin has comb filters or Multiple adsr. Even without comb filter you can use an exciter but the most important thing is to be able to send the envelope(s) to multiple places. I.e. fully modular plug like Zebra.

Thanks!

Still working on the bank. Added fixes for :
  • Brass. Made trumpet transitions changes so you have several types smoother, hard, etc.
  • Strings. Added shorts, staccatos, pizzis and section patches.
Im trying to make It as expressive as possible but easy, so only one xy control or mw per patch. The rest, drums , woodwinds, etc. Will Come slowly. I Will incluye new demos shortly. Thanks!

I am quite interested!

so am I...

Thanks for the interest!

All the patches are low on cpu, my computer which is quite lowend (quadcore, 8 gb) can manage about a dozen instances (FL studio with threaded processing on and asio buffers a bit to the middle) but im sure you can get a lot more. For extensive work, you can always freeze or bounce to audio.

Im referencing a lot of stuff, even if its not hyper-realistic I think its going to sound near and quite flexible. For example all the string stuff is not totally clean but has a bit of random friction, and the brass patches (some)starts with slow attacks and breathing noise. Stuff like that I hope it helps.

At the moment Im emulating chamber/quartet strings stuff and its quite difficult because the noise goes in the air not with the frecuency of the instrument. But Zebra is so versatile it can even emulate the damping reverb of the sound. Actually it works better that some expensive modeling stuff Ive seen. The filters in zebra are exactly like they should be, there are no artifacts and the sound goes exactly as it should.

Cheers and sorry for the boringness!

Good morning all.

Still working on it and very near of completion. The short strings were a nightmare. Advice for the newbie using Zebra: Watch your Attacks (msegs or env) because if they are slow can make noise more prominent(if there is noise module or whatever, that is). Made a lot of different sustain Msegs of string type.

It is difficult to make clean strings because there is always a bit of noise in the irregularities of real strings sound. So at the moment Im cleaning everything as much as I can. woodwinds are still lacking but will be done in time. My personal deadline is next monday so bear with me as im not a master composer, arranger or orchestrator. Im sure if some skilled pro took my instruments would make them sound 10x better, arranging and mixing is very important. Im trying to get everything done with only Eq, comp and reverb/delay, and balanced inside of zebra so you dont have to make miracles to do all sit well on a mix.

Well enough rant... cheers.

Again, can't wait!

This sounds awesome
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Thanks!!

Edited the post as something in the last demo was not right.

Last touches on trombone, tuba , french horn. Still studying Chamber strings sound and going for a section not too Big (16 violins). If i find something I dont like I redo It from zero thats why I dont post a lot of updates, but honestly this is the way I work with my main dedication which is animation/design (synthesis and music till now were just a hobby) and everything must be at the best of my abilities. As if synthesis wasn't complex enough!!.

P.d.: just forgot to add, everything is synthesised, so no sampling here. Just derived from basic waveforms. I honestly think this is the faster and most flexible way using synthesis. (Sampling is another respectable way if doing It).

Still here.

Working on brass and strings. Not ready yet!

The sustain strings are embrionary. At the moment I have done a lot of shorts. All the shorts are different each note (Lfo, velocities, vscales etc.) and using velocity scale is a blessing! actually it makes somewhat a fading between notes sounding more natural.

Here is a little sketch using shorts (strings). Strings are still in a sketching phase so its not definitive. The patches in general are mostly made to be layered (and randomly if possible).
As always everything is a work in progress. Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/ruberboy/strings ... est0-zebra

This is awesome, can't wait for the library to be released.

Kel wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:23 am
Esgalachoir wrote:Sounds fantastic. I think it sounds cleaner and more on point(timbre-wise) than my bank already.
Maybe a bit more amplitude modulation, though, to bring in a bit of focus? Everything sounds a bit far away.
Thanks. There are very few people who adventured in the art of creating acoustic emulations with synths! you can count with your hand... You, Eldhart, Kaiyoti, Large(fl studio plugins) those really are the persons who woke up my curiosity. I am an admirer of your zebra bank (the zebra orchestra) but I arrived too late (i started with zebra only 1 month ago) Im a 2d artist/animator by day but music has always been with me so this is an experiment. Im flattered! I dont think my bank sounds any better than any other emulation. I dont use Spectrum analyzers a lot because I find that a naked ear with good references makes a better work, and most of the time its impossible to get the exact same spectrum (80% similarity if any) even if I can get to very similar frecuencies. You are correct as I still have to correct reverbs on zebra as I tend to use a lot of Wet/reflections. (those demos only use very few EQ's or compression and I only use 1 algo reverb if used). Thanks a lot!!.

P.D. The houseofcards demo was a little disaster volume wise. I will update it soon with more stuff added and fixed.

You're welcome! :) When it comes to spectrum analyzers, I agree. For me, they seem to be good for initial preparation of a patch, but once you get to the details, seems like using your ear is best.

Working on everything strings at the moment. Almost got the sections as I like. Ive been thinking and the patches are going to have control on Attack, Release, modwheel, pitchwheel, and volume via XY pads. The rest of controls are automated on the matrix. I will use separate patches for controls like "string_short_attack" and "string_short" this way you have control over Attack without messing out the synthesis in a clean way.

Still working on shorts, they are a hell, because not only of the tone, but the resonances and noise endings. In Zebra to give tone/body to something you can use Shape modules, EQ & reverb, etc. but its not easy.

Will post some more stuff soon... Thank you for your interest!

Another little sketch, using the freshly made string section (violins). Still green! but onto something. Zebra is surprising!

No violas or cellos for now, but will add them later. No vibrato here, just the default vibrato of each section but of course will there be controls for vibrato (and delays on xy pads to make it more natural). Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/ruberboy/zebra-s ... n-example0

:tu:

Return to “u-he”