Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Kr3eM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pmHow do you know, it's literally impossible to complain without a head?
You assume that the complainers must have been the explodees. :)
Cheers
Rob
u-he | Support | FAQ | Patch Library

#rob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:42 pm
Kr3eM wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:18 pmHow do you know, it's literally impossible to complain without a head?
You assume that the complainers must have been the explodees. :)
True I did assume but in my defence, have you seen my studio? We used to be 3 people working here...now it's just me and it's going to take ages to get the stains out...and since I don't complain, fair assumption I would say...or dare I say deduction.

Urs wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:29 pm ^^ that's pretty much the method the Toppobrillo is using. Each stage alone is a simple folder, but cascading stages results in heavy folding.
Yes, that is what I am after.
This is going to take time for me to learn.. step by step. Just printed the Script Language PDF to read after the kids are in bed tonight.

This works (sinewave is produced):

Code: Select all

NumFrames=256
Wave "sin( 2 * pi * phase)"
But when I add this, no wave is created at all:

Wave "env( 1 + x * 0.5 * (1 + table ) )"
I also tried this example but it produces error message:

Wave target=aux1 "sin( 2 * pi * phase)"
Wave "env( abs( aux1 * (1 + table * 3) ) )"
Wave "select( aux1 > 0, x, -x )"   <-- this line produces "File missing...")

Ok, you do have to set up an envelope... that's always a little bit of a tedious job.

I need to check the select statement. Not sure why it wouldn't work.

The stupid error message is a known bug... it should actually say something meaningful, but it doesn't.

It seems for some weird reason, that the condition in the select statement needs to be in (), like:

Envelope L0=0 T1=1/6 L1=1 T2=1/6 L2=0 T3=1/6 L3=1 T4=1/6 L4=0 T5=1/6 L5=1 T6=1/6 L6=0
Wave "select( (aux1 > 0) , x, -x )"

lengro wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm It seems for some weird reason, that the condition in the select statement needs to be in (), like:

Envelope L0=0 T1=1/6 L1=1 T2=1/6 L2=0 T3=1/6 L3=1 T4=1/6 L4=0 T5=1/6 L5=1 T6=1/6 L6=0
Wave "select( (aux1 > 0) , x, -x )"
Nice! I'll play around with this. :)

lengro wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 pm

Another small observation: I just realized envelopes doesn't handle fractions like 1/6, it requires floating point numbers like 0.166, hence an envelope as the above should be:

Envelope L0=0 T1=0.166 L1=1 T2=0.166 L2=0 T3=0.166 L3=1 T4=0.166 L4=0 T5=0.166 L5=1 T6=0.166 L6=0

lengro wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Envelope L0=0 T1=0.166 L1=1 T2=0.166 L2=0 T3=0.166 L3=1 T4=0.166 L4=0 T5=0.166 L5=1 T6=0.166 L6=0
Eh - in the given context, this envelope should not just have a length of 1 as the above. It should be 4 as Urs's drawing also demonstrated. So it should be:

Envelope L0=0 T1=0.667 L1=1 T2=0.667 L2=0 T3=0.667 L3=1 T4=0.667 L4=0 T5=0.667 L5=1 T6=0.667 L6=0
It's because the below expression in the env() gives values up to 4, so the envelope of course needs to be of equal length (for the look-up).

Still learning...

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:38 pm
nichttuntun wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm I got some more questions. I really like to see more LFOs and am option to modulate one OSC with OSC two. Will my "dream" come true one day? Have a great time all.
Current plan: Hive 2.0 will feature two Buchla-style "function generators". Those are simple envelopes with adjustable Attack and Decay rate which can cycle and thus be LFOs. Just two knobs each, a mode selector and an optional input source.

I think it makes a lot of sense to add so-called West Coast modules to Hive. These promote "gamification" of music making and synthesis, and I think that a playful approach matches Hive's design for simplicity quite well.
This is really cool. I wanted to ask whether we can have more ways to trigger envelopes, but two function generators are even better. I really look forward to Hive 2.0.

>>
Current plan: Hive 2.0 will feature two Buchla-style "function generators". Those are simple envelopes with adjustable Attack and Decay rate which can cycle and thus be LFOs. Just two knobs each, a mode selector and an optional input source.
>>

How to adjust the slope? Never mind, probably by the mod matrix and recursive modulation...

On the 0coast, the power of the function generator comes a lot from an End-Of-Cycle trigger that can be used to start other envelopes. Will the other ADSRs be syncable to the function generator's EOC?

I can barely wait for Hive 2.0....

ZaBong69 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:49 pm >>
>>

How to adjust the slope? Never mind, probably by the mod matrix and recursive modulation...

On the 0coast, the power of the function generator comes a lot from an End-Of-Cycle trigger that can be used to start other envelopes. Will the other ADSRs be syncable to the function generator's EOC?

I can barely wait for Hive 2.0....
I added a Slope Knob. So now, 3 knobs, 2 drop down combo boxes. Very simple. Crazy possibilities. Random rhythms, always quantized to LFO rate. Glide only in one direction. Clock Dividers. Aftertouch "freezing" through long releases while playing new notes without any AT and vice versa.

I will however have to add some kind of oscilloscope so that people can explore how the mod sources interact.

Slope knob works differently from analogue function generators. It really bends the curve while keeping attack and decay times unaltered. This allows for creation of very extreme randomish modulation shapes with an LFO.

Oh yes, 3 modulation outputs: Envelope, Rising/Falling and Still/Moving. Latter are just on/off gates which can be used to trigger S&H and possibly envelopes.

I think I almost married Maths and Sport Modulator in these...

Holy Batman! :-o :shock:

so when is the first beta????????? hehehehehe

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:29 pm so when is the first beta????????? hehehehehe
Mid of March projected for internal beta team. Gotta fix a lot of stuff before that, but need some normal days for that without NI sales messing with my brain.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:12 pm Holy Batman! :-o :shock:
Exactly.

Return to “u-he”