Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

MorpherX wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm
Delta Sign wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:59 pm You also need a fancy 3 letter acronym for the wavetable tech, it instantly makes everything sound better. Everyone knows that :hihi:
You are an [MOD EDIT], you now nothing about wavetables, [MOD EDIT].
I sense a Ban incoming
:borg:

You are right VORT3X, Delta Sign knows nothing about wavetables,
and now I see how stupid I am
using all of his wavetables to make new patches for Hive :dog:

MorpherX wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 pm The first test was a comparison between Serum and Hive with the same wavetable and no effects and no
Modulation at the original octave. There Hive tables sounds o.k., but now i have tested the same playing one, two and three octaves higher. The result is that Serum plays the table much more
Like in the original octave than Hive.
Hive plays back tables very bad in higher octaves and i have made this test with different tables and always with the same result.
I cannot replicate these results. Please post renders of your tests with the wavetables (or instructions/formulas to make them) so others can verify.

I've attached a test of my own. A sine wave (default wavetable in Hive, created via bin 1 in Serum), level-matched. As far as I'm concerned, both are equivalent in terms of aliasing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

He's just a troll, obviously cannot make up his own mind (as Urs so neatly quoted). Just disregard the "greenhorn" :P

I just hope he's not becoming the next "I'll pour my outrage in every thread which remotely sounds suitable".

Anyhow, yes, an audio example would be the least to ask for, possibly accompanied with two presets and a wav file.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:51 amI've attached a test of my own. A sine wave (default wavetable in Hive, created via bin 1 in Serum), level-matched. As far as I'm concerned, both are equivalent in terms of aliasing.
I don't think he refers to aliasing. I think he refers to a loss of overtones due to band limiting (which I'm fairly sure operates as it should). Or maybe he just dislikes how scanning through a wavetable is interpolated in Hive by default, minimizing scanning artifacts.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 am I don't think he refers to aliasing. I think he refers to a loss of overtones due to band limiting (which I'm fairly sure operates as it should). Or maybe he just dislikes how scanning through a wavetable is interpolated in Hive by default, minimizing scanning artifacts.
I don't think there is a "proper" way to do wavescanning. I have several (too many?) wavetable synths, and the results I get using the same wavetable are always different from one to the other (not necessarily better or worse... just different). Some wavetables give me a result I like more in one, some give me a result I like more in the other.

I am talking of sample derived wavetables, or waveform interpolation wavetables (contrary to Urs, those are the ones that interest me more).

I understand that it is possible Serum gives that poster a result he likes more than Hive. It's really a matter of personal taste, and also it depends very much n the wavetable. Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by fmr on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 amI understand that it is possible Serum gives that poster a result he likes more than Hive. It's really a matter of personal taste, and also it depends very much n the wavetable. Just my 2 cents.
I agree, but I'm also pedantic about subjective taste not being expressed as objective facts. Like, "Hive plays back tables very bad in higher octaves" is obviously not an expression of someone's taste.

I think by far the majority of those times I disagree with random forum posters is when they falsely claim user perception as bugs or development failure.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 am I'm also pedantic about subjective taste not being expressed as objective facts.
Perhaps KVR is not for you then........ :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:49 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 am I'm also pedantic about subjective taste not being expressed as objective facts.
Perhaps KVR is not for you then........ :hihi:
Yep... I recall a few painful threads...

The Dunning-Kruger-Effect has always been particularly strong in the audio world and I don't think that's ever going to change.

Delta Sign wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:10 pm The Dunning-Kruger-Effect has always been particularly strong in the audio world and I don't think that's ever going to change.
Someone should turn it into a plugin :hihi:

How to give feedback on software, specifically audio plugins:

- Explain your problem vaguely, preferably with typos and bad grammar.
- Tell the developer how they should do X to fix the problem, implying the whole issue is caused by them overlooking some relatively simple thing. Add spice with expressions like ”low quality oscillators” etc, but don’t explain them any further.
- Threaten not to buy the software unless the alleged problem is fixed. Use an arrogant tone, like your money is the difference between success and failure for the developer.
- Whatever you do, never ever post sound examples, patches, or other concrete information that could help everyone get to the bottom of things.

(This post is satire and not geared towards anyone in particular. I have just seen the same pattern over and over again so many times that I don’t know if I should laugh or cry...)

To have the option of Wave-Tabling is always great. Of course there are very specialized VSTs out which just concentrate on these great technique like the PPG stuff, Waldorf stuff, ICARUS and many more. But I also think it will be a great addition for HIVE and some users will very much appreciate that feature. Cheers.

nichttuntun wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 am To have the option of Wave-Tabling is always great. Of course there are very specialized VSTs out which just concentrate on these great technique like the PPG stuff, Waldorf stuff, ICARUS and many more. But I also think it will be a great addition for HIVE and some users will very much appreciate that feature. Cheers.
What are the differences between Hive and such a sepcialized VST? Is there a general property or feature which these have that Hive doesn't?

Return to “u-he”