Tech Preview: Hive Wavetables

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

And another patch, this time a pad. Both wavetables are based on a saw wave, and both were skewed using the remap function in Serum, and resampled with resonant comb filter sweeps. A tiny bit of detune is added, (5 to 10%), with pitch quantise (at an octave) applied to both waves, one with a slow lfo, the other with a faster lfo via a random source to create a pseudo s and h effect (Oscillator 2), this Osc also is also pitched up by a fifth. Half way through the mod wheel is applied, (routed to cutoff freq and res), emphasizing the resonant "ripples" created by the resampled comb filter.

https://soundcloud.com/yemski/pad-test-1
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

* Both patches are set up with parallel low pass filters.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

So you are using Serum to create the wavetables and importing and playing them in Hive?

pdxindy wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 am So you are using Serum to create the wavetables and importing and playing them in Hive?
Yes, that's basically it, but it's more a case of just having loads of Serum wavetables I'd created for Serum. I haven't really got round to checking out the scripting language yet. Not my thing really, I find manipulating waveforms more immediate and easy to understand, whether resampling, finding single cycles in synth waveforms and chaining them together, or creating wts and single cycles using various standalone tools. I've created quite a few wts, through a kind of directed trial and error using a few a equations I boned up on. So I'll probably go that way with the scripting at some point.

That pad is so nicely icy digital. Love it.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am That pad is so nicely icy digital. Love it.
Thanks for the props man. With the addition of wavetables Hive is proving itself pretty adept at these mid 80's to early 90's digital synth sounds.

yemski wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am That pad is so nicely icy digital. Love it.
Thanks for the props man. With the addition of wavetables Hive is proving itself pretty adept at these mid 80's to early 90's digital synth sounds.
I looooooove 90's vintage digital, so I'm loving the heck out of this :D

A subset of wavetables have a 'direction', sweeping from a harmonically simple frame to a rich one. In a few cases - DX piano, Lately FM, Simple Karplus - the direction is implicit in their intended use.

For easier auditioning, might it be better if they shared the same orientation?

hakey wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:53 pm A subset of wavetables have a 'direction', sweeping from a harmonically simple frame to a rich one. In a few cases - DX piano, Lately FM, Simple Karplus - the direction is implicit in their intended use.

For easier auditioning, might it be better if they shared the same orientation?
For that there's a "Reverse" button in the Wavetable Settings window.

Wavetable quality

Zwo octaves over the Orginal tone of a wavetable you only hear a crisp sine
Three octaves higher you only hear detuned sine

There needs to be 3- 4- Time oversampling over wavetables in Order to get a better Quality, like Serum, Icarus etc.

With such a Bad quality of Tablets i Will Never
Buy this Plugin behause i only have high quality
VSTis

MorpherX wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm With such a Bad quality of Tablets i Will Never
VSTis
So just use higher quality tablets, man. Seriously.

MorpherX wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm Wavetable quality

There needs to be 3- 4- Time oversampling over wavetables in Order to get a better Quality, like Serum, Icarus etc.

VSTis
Sorry, but you must be confusing something. Your previous statement was much more accurate:
MorpherX wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm WoW !!!

A big compliment to U-He for Hive, it sounds cristal clear and the quality of imported wavetables which I use in Serum is much better as in Serum.
In Hive, all wavetables always play back with the full audible spectrum available. Oversampling does not make any sense, it won't make frequencies audible which are not in the wavetables.

You also need a fancy 3 letter acronym for the wavetable tech, it instantly makes everything sound better. Everyone knows that :hihi:

Urs wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:06 pm
MorpherX wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm Wavetable quality

VSTis
Sorry, but you must be confusing something. Your previous statement was much more accurate:
MorpherX wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm WoW !!!

A big compliment to U-He for Hive, it sounds cristal clear and the quality of imported wavetables which I use in Serum is much better as in Serum.
In Hive, all wavetables always play back with the full audible spectrum available. Oversampling does not make any sense, it won't make frequencies audible which are not in the wavetables.
The first test was a comparison between Serum and Hive with the same wavetable and no effects and no
Modulation at the original octave. There Hive tables sounds o.k., but now i have tested the same playing one, two and three octaves higher. The result is that Serum plays the table much more
Like in the original octave than Hive.
Hive plays back tables very bad in higher octaves and i have made this test with different tables and always with the same result.
Therefore i don't buy Hive, except there will be an improvement in this aspect.

In my first statement i have not fully tested the Hive tables.
The GUI and handling performance is great but what counts in my view is sound quality.
Last edited by MorpherX on Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delta Sign wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:59 pm You also need a fancy 3 letter acronym for the wavetable tech, it instantly makes everything sound better. Everyone knows that :hihi:
You are an [MOD EDIT], you now nothing about wavetables, [MOD EDIT].

Return to “u-he”