MPE solutions (Diva etc.)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, after reading through the MPE support thread, the manual, and watching the Roli tutorial on addressing slide with Diva, I'm still a bit confused.
https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... -u-he-diva

The above support page shows how to set up "Frequency" (filter cutoff) for 16 channels of MIDI that the Seaboard supports. It seems that even doing this you're not getting independent filter sweeps for each note, sweeping some notes on the Seaboard raises the frequency on the held static notes. Is this how it's supposed to work as of now? Are we merely setting this up for monophonic slide? and polyphonic aftertouch and glide?

Regarding Diva in general, the modulation system allows for assigning a single MIDI channel to a single CC controlling a parameter, either by takeover, or by assigning directly in the MIDI learn page. Text in the manual talks about Diva responding as X amount of monophonic synths, (determined by voices assigned in a patch I assume) which would lead me to believe that Diva should respond polyphonically to assigning 16 channels of MIDI to CC74 set to frequency like Roli show how to set up, but it doesn't. At least not on my system. For most parameters you cannot manually assign a channel independent CC, aftertouch, release velocity etc.

Not "blaming" U-He or Diva, just feel like I'm not understanding either the limitations of Diva with MPE or I'm missing something in the process. Went through the above video tutorial and was disappointed. Figure asking here first would be wiser than attempting this with ACE, Hive and Bazile. :?

What DAW are you using?

Reaper. No issues with MPE with Cypher 2 and Falcon.

No issue with Diva in Bitwig for pitch slide, pressure and Y axis being per voice

How are you assigning Y axis? Using the method on Roli's site I'm not getting polyphonic filtering...

Fortunately Bitwig has an open demo, so I should be able to check if it works on my system here..
Logic is the other MPE compatible DAW I have here I should check it out on.

The fact that Falcon and Cypher 2 both work flawlessly is why I'm wondering if it isn't something I'm doing.

machinesworking wrote:How are you assigning Y axis? Using the method on Roli's site I'm not getting polyphonic filtering...
Go into Diva preferences... there you have the option to set Control A and Control B to any midi CC of your choosing. Set either Control A or Control B to CC#74. If you set Control A to CC74, then use Control A as your mod source.

pdxindy wrote:
machinesworking wrote:How are you assigning Y axis? Using the method on Roli's site I'm not getting polyphonic filtering...
Go into Diva preferences... there you have the option to set Control A and Control B to any midi CC of your choosing. Set either Control A or Control B to CC#74. If you set Control A to CC74, then use Control A as your mod source.
In see no way to select Control A as a mod source outside of a few items. Cutoff frequency for instance is not selectable..

machinesworking wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
In see no way to select Control A as a mod source outside of a few items. Cutoff frequency for instance is not selectable..
The Diva filters each have two dedicated Modulation Knobs. Either of them can be set to Control A or B

pdxindy wrote: The Diva filters each have two dedicated Modulation Knobs. Either of them can be set to Control A or B
OH JEEZ! I rarely use Diva and never noticed those?? :clown:

Couple that with the revelation from Roli via email while chatting with you here that the youtube video tutorial sets up cutoff for monophonic control only, and I was lost!

No release velocity or Lift in Diva right?

machinesworking wrote:
pdxindy wrote: The Diva filters each have two dedicated Modulation Knobs. Either of them can be set to Control A or B
OH JEEZ! I rarely use Diva and never noticed those?? :clown:

Couple that with the revelation from Roli via email while chatting with you here that the youtube video tutorial sets up cutoff for monophonic control only, and I was lost!

No release velocity or Lift in Diva right?
No release velocity on any of the u-he synths...

pdxindy wrote:No release velocity on any of the u-he synths...
Thought as much. Setting up Bitwig, I'm again reminded of my biggest reason for not using it over Live, poor controller support. I have a Seaboard Block and an MPK88, Bitwig's built Rise works for the Block, but it only supports the MPK49, not the 88....

of course Live doesn't even support MPE.

Release velocity (or LIFT) needs expression curves ( or mod mappers) in order to be usable. Without these curves whatever is assigned to LIFT will get in the way of your normal playing.

This may be what you want, but in the majority of cases it may not, since the idea is to 'awake' or 'express' LIFT as an accent and not as a constant sound that is audible on each note-off.

So, maybe it's a good thing that Diva does not support release-velocity, since people would find that without expression curves ( or mod-mappers) this 'dimension' is not of much practical use.

This is why I personally consider 'expression curves' to be essential in any MPE synth. These curves ought to be part of the official MPE spec.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I would definitely love to see release velocity as a modulator across all u-he synths, regardless of MPE.

Agreed about expression curves, and that it would be cool to have release velocity across U-He synths.

Starting off on MPE using Falcon it's nicely set up to use release velocity for sure. Cypher 2 as well.

A huge wish MPE wise for me is for Kontact to get some sort of script that can convert key commands and CC's from orchestral libraries into something useful to the Roli.

Return to “u-he”