Creating U-He skins?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a how to or anything, is it officially supported or a bit of a hack?

Save a preset called default.h2p into the root folder of the plug-in you wish to style. Close your host. Open that preset in a text editor and somewhere at the top, find a free line and add !EDITOR=YES restart your host, open the plug-in UI and start praying you had never seen this.

The information on the editor is sparse. We don't even have a proper documentation internally. Right-click is your friend. On Mac it's also the keys i, c, t, x, s which open various other editors. Some plug-ins might have a script called "EditorSetup.txt" missing. Copy over from another, I think recent Hive beta has the latest.

Always right-click teh background to save current file.

Before anything, switch UI to 100% mode.

Brilliant, thanks Urs I'll give it a whirl :)

Urs, when you say the "Hive Beta has the latest" would copying the "EditorSetup.txt" from that beta and applying it to the other synths add any features or updates or anything?

One thing I haven't figured out with the editor is how the layers/pages function. On windows here, but let's say I want to move the location of the Synthesis/Performance/Patches buttons on ZebraHZ, and maybe change the order of them. How would I do that via the editor? I've figured out some basics like reassigning colors, and moving existing elements around, but how layers and pages work have me completely confused. I'd like to screw around with skinning that's more involved than just changing the colors of existing elements and creating new knobs, but I've been stuck on the layers.

Adding to Urs' post - prepare for some crashes if you do some things wrong. :D

EvilDragon wrote:Adding to Urs' post - prepare for some crashes if you do some things wrong. :D
...and before you start editing a skin, be sure to 1) backup the original, and 2) save regularly. Probably best to copy the original skin to a new folder and work there.

I kinda understand why drzhnn does all his theming in text editor. :D

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:One thing I haven't figured out with the editor is how the layers/pages function.
'Layer' is a property of a Pane. You can have up to 32 layers per pane. When adding a new element to a pane you can choose which layer this element will belong to. Only one layer (and its elements) could be visible at a time. But you can assign an element to several layers so it will be visible of several layers when you switch between them. To switch between layers you need a special element (Button On-Off, Display, LayerSelector, maybe some others) which can have a property called 'clientpane' that can point to your multi-layer pane. In short, that pane business is a great source of pain.

drzhnn wrote:In short, that pane business is a great source of pain.
It's very flexible though and fairly easy to work with in the editor :clown:

Hi,
I am working with a demo of the latest Zebra 2.8 download. I have edited a bunch of pane .pngs and see the changes etc.

Now I am trying to access the "editor" to see what it is all about.

I have prepared the default.h2p with a !EDITOR=YES line, but I can't see any change in my Zebra install.

I am trying to figure out what the "root" folder is, and I have placed the defualt.h2p in several spots to see if that changes anything.

All I have installed is a 64bit VST3.

My Zebra2.data directory is C:\ProgramData\u-he\Zebra2.data\

Which directory is considered the "root" with regards to the answer offered in post number 2?

Thank a bunch!

Inside your data folder you should have the following folders:

> Presets
- Zebra2

Stick the default.h2p in the Zebra2 folder.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Yikes, that worked, and now I am scared because I have seen all the choices. :-)

Thank you for the help.

Can we sticky this one?

Thanks for this info!

So I'm exploring this a bit with ZebraHZ.

How do I got about adding one of my skins/themes so that it can be selected via the settings menu? Is that possible? In ZebraHZ, there is only the one skin, so currently no skins are displayed in the menu.

When right-clicking on the interface when editing, I see the 'save to file' option, but I'm not sure what that does and where it saves. Is this saving a script file somewhere?

If my changes are simple and I don't need to see edits in realtime, is there an simpler way to create and compile skins via script and have them display as options in the interface?

I created a couple skins with varying looks simply by replacing images in the folders with the same file names. I have them backed up (including the original) and am switching them by simply overwriting the folders. Would of course much rather select between them via the plugin's menu.

Thanks!

@joeyluck
In Windows - You should have the following folder within ZebraHZ.data folder
Support > Themes

Copy your skin folder to Themes folder then it will show up in preference settings.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

Return to “u-he”