Hive 1.1 latest build - revision 7485

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:
Sound Author wrote:Just wondering if u-he has any thoughts about Paula's WTF oscillator, and if there's a possibility that we might see anything like that in a u-he synth. I think it's a really cool idea.
I'm not sure if it's an overly great idea though. You basically switch between two base waveforms at two points harvested from a PWM-like window. Depending on the similarity (or absence thereof) of the two base waveforms, you'll have multiple drastic changes in the spectrum, but they're not smooth sweeps.

It's however easily done with Hive's wavetable scripts. So I guess if we provide for a template, you can quickly try a few different waveshapes with that kind of method. (I could even add it as an option for the waveform interpolator built into the scripts...)
Urs will you still do that wavetable creator thing in Zebra 2.8 or Zebralette so that we can create our own wavetables for Hive? :pray:

surreal wrote:Urs will you still do that wavetable creator thing in Zebra 2.8 or Zebralette so that we can create our own wavetables for Hive? :pray:
It's quite likely, I'd say.

:hyper:

Er-hem.... now that Colour Copy is out the door... (and congrats on that, fine work as always!)... we fully expect all hands on deck for Hive 1.2, naturally. While Colour Copy is really great (and thanks again for it, very glad I bought it!), I'm way more excited for the creative wizardry going on under the hood in Hive 1.2. Just sayin'. No pressure, of course.

Any chance to see a polyphonic distortion mode, repro5 style, at some point?
All the upcoming changes sound really exciting, looking forward to it.

ionekvr wrote:Er-hem.... now that Colour Copy is out the door... (and congrats on that, fine work as always!)... we fully expect all hands on deck for Hive 1.2, naturally. While Colour Copy is really great (and thanks again for it, very glad I bought it!), I'm way more excited for the creative wizardry going on under the hood in Hive 1.2. Just sayin'. No pressure, of course.
Is Hive 1.2 releasing before Springy-thingy?

Probably, as a build or two of it were already in beta, whereas there's no beta yet of the Springy-thingy.

Urs wrote:
surreal wrote:Urs will you still do that wavetable creator thing in Zebra 2.8 or Zebralette so that we can create our own wavetables for Hive? :pray:
It's quite likely, I'd say.
Ok cool!! Any eta for this yet? Will it be an extended functionality of Zebrallette or an addition to Zebra 2.8?

MtL wrote:
ionekvr wrote:Er-hem.... now that Colour Copy is out the door... (and congrats on that, fine work as always!)... we fully expect all hands on deck for Hive 1.2, naturally. While Colour Copy is really great (and thanks again for it, very glad I bought it!), I'm way more excited for the creative wizardry going on under the hood in Hive 1.2. Just sayin'. No pressure, of course.
Is Hive 1.2 releasing before Springy-thingy?
It's going to be a bit of a race between the two.

The reason we put this latest build of Hive out was so we can take a bit longer to do the deeper stuff. Now the deeper stuff has become a bit exciting, so we need to put more effort into documentation, UI design, extra presets and all of that, which adds considerable to the time to release.

Urs wrote:
MtL wrote: Is Hive 1.2 releasing before Springy-thingy?

The reason we put this latest build of Hive out was so we can take a bit longer to do the deeper stuff. Now the deeper stuff has become a bit exciting, so we need to put more effort into documentation, UI design, extra presets and all of that, which adds considerable to the time to release.
Sounds great, Urs. Thanks for all the creative hard work you guys are doing. Very happy that so much love is going into Hive! I know a few people who are waiting to buy it specifically for 1.2, and actually I delayed buying it until I saw the hints you were dropping about the direction of Hive. So I think you'll generate a lot of enthusiasm (and hopefully new sales!) with 1.2, and at the very least you'll increase brand loyalty since I think people are very appreciative of this kind of effort to constantly improve your products with creative new features.

U-he plugins don't ever rot on the vine, they aren't abandoned. They are living, breathing products that pick up generous, great new features over time. I hope you stick with that business model. There are several of your competitors that have the opposite model, and their product libraries are littered with the skeletons of deprecated products that never saw the kind of love that you guys invest in yours, OR they charge frequent upgrade fees for the seemingly smallest of improvements. Your business model is one of the best in the DAW/plugin world IMO.

Also, I saw (but missed until now) that earlier in the thread you mentioned that Uhbik is going to get more love too. That's one of my favorite collections, and I still remember from years ago you had plans to create some sort of hosting/combiner/rack kind of thing for the Uhbik modules with modulation, routing, etc... I can't remember the details, but I've been hoping for that for a long time. I hope that's still part of the roadmap.

I also hope you revisit MFM2 at some point. It's also a beauty that can benefit from your more recent DSP exploits and expertise.

And BTW, now that you have so many employees and are spending time revisiting older plugins and upgrading features, etc., at some point, don't feel bad about charging upgrade fees when appropriate! After all, some of your plugins have had a really long lifespan, which is really appreciated, but after 10-ish years on some of them (including creative improvements along the way), it's really okay to charge an upgrade fee IMO. :-)

Didn't intend this post to be so long. Summary: keep up the awesomeness for Hive, stay the course on business model, go Team U-he, and thanks again! Can't wait!

For uhbiks, please replicate at least the option of having a
rakarrack style panel, which allows in rakarracks case,
8 plugin gui's on a panel, from among 70, where they can be on/off,
in various orders, custom groupings in panels saved and loaded etc

You could also consider hosting 3rd-party effects in such
a panel, as BlueCat have done with the Axiom gui.
The two are pretty amzing in actual use. If Bitwig's effects area
had two vertical rows, I'd suggest getting them drunk enough
to license it for 'future considerations' :hyper:

I also agree that upgrade fees are appropriate for Hive.
When too many things are free, one tends to disconnect from realty
a little bit.
Cheers

glokraw wrote:For uhbiks, please replicate at least the option of having a

had two vertical rows, I'd suggest getting them drunk enough
to license it for 'future considerations' :hyper:

a little bit.
Cheers
I think charging for point updates are not necessarily a good business practice. We are not all rich and effluent... For example it took me a whole year to save up and buy hive.. for diva it took me three years and Repro5 two years.. charging for a point update would leave a bitter taste in many people mouths that find them selves in similar situations... it was also asked in the survey and urs said that they would not charge for point updates.. upgrades like zebra 2 to 3 is a differant story

ionekvr wrote:
Urs wrote:
MtL wrote: Is Hive 1.2 releasing before Springy-thingy?

Sounds great, Urs. Thanks for all the creative hard work you guys are doing. Very happy that so much love is going into Hive! I know a few people who are waiting to buy it specifically for 1.2, and actually I delayed buying it until I saw the hints you were dropping about the direction of Hive. So I think you'll generate a lot of enthusiasm (and hopefully new sales!) with 1.2, and at the very least you'll increase brand loyalty since I think people are very appreciative of this kind of effort to constantly improve your products with creative new features.

U-he plugins don't ever rot on the vine, they aren't abandoned. They are living, breathing products that pick up generous, great new features over time. I hope you stick with that business model. There are several of your competitors that have the opposite model, and their product libraries are littered with the skeletons of deprecated products that never saw the kind of love that you guys invest in yours, OR they charge frequent upgrade fees for the seemingly smallest of improvements. Your business model is one of the best in the DAW/plugin world IMO.

Also, I saw (but missed until now) that earlier in the thread you mentioned that Uhbik is going to get more love too. That's one of my favorite collections, and I still remember from years ago you had plans to create some sort of hosting/combiner/rack kind of thing for the Uhbik modules with modulation, routing, etc... I can't remember the details, but I've been hoping for that for a long time. I hope that's still part of the roadmap.

I also hope you revisit MFM2 at some point. It's also a beauty that can benefit from your more recent DSP exploits and expertise.

And BTW, now that you have so many employees and are spending time revisiting older plugins and upgrading features, etc., at some point, don't feel bad about charging upgrade fees when appropriate! After all, some of your plugins have had a really long lifespan, which is really appreciated, but after 10-ish years on some of them (including creative improvements along the way), it's really okay to charge an upgrade fee IMO. :-)

Didn't intend this post to be so long. Summary: keep up the awesomeness for Hive, stay the course on business model, go Team U-he, and thanks again! Can't wait!
Sure show Urs apreciation and all by buying more of his products.. not by vetoing for expensive updates...

Guys, I wasn't advocating for charging for point updates like 1.1 -> 1.2 -- Hive hasn't hit the same kind of milestone lifespan that Zebra has of course. What I was suggesting was that U-he keep the *current* business plan of generous updates, but then, after an appropriate period of time, to not be afraid of charging for updates. As in the case of Zebra 2 -> 3 is an obvious one, maybe even passed due. I mean, come on, at 10-ish years, I think he can charge for updates. So I'm not suggesting they do "expensive updates" or charge for point updates or charge for little things. Hope that clears things up. So I think 1.1 -> 1.2 should be free, it fits his existing model, and if that wasn't clear, apologies.

And my exact statement was: "After all, some of your plugins have had a really long lifespan, which is really appreciated, but after 10-ish years on some of them (including creative improvements along the way), it's really okay to charge an upgrade fee IMO"

EDIT: And BTW, I totally understand people aren't made of money. Every purchase counts for me, personally, so I completely respect that point of view. But I also understand that U-he represents a tremendous value when you calculate that his plugins continually get improvements for a very long time, which is NOT that common with his competitors.

glokraw wrote:For uhbiks, please replicate at least the option of having a

were two rows high along the horizontal plane, I'd suggest
getting them drunk enough to license it
for 'future considerations' :hyper:

a little bit.
Cheers

Return to “u-he”