Zebra HZ v2.8 update. Any ETA yet?

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bug Report:

On Windows 10 v1803 64bit, the Data location "Browse" button is broken. If I choose a directory, it does not change the value of the field. Manually copying a path to the field works though. At first I didn't recognize this and ZebraHZ threw an error (permissioning) and crashed on opening. Upon installing with the manual copy/paste method it worked.

The initial filled value for the Data field is also wrongly pointing to the Vst32 directory (even if I have not installed the Vst32), and even that I have installed the previous Zebra HZ in the standard C:\VstPlugins\u-he\ZebraHZ.data
My VSTs and data folders are stored in a non-default location. I am also on Win10 Pro, 1803 64bit. I did not experience this issue. I attempted, but was unable to reproduce this. I removed the installation manually and reinstalled. Both originally, and in the second installation, I was successfully able to use the Browse button to change the installation of the VST, and data folder.

Urs wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 am Please contact support for issues. It's usually something simple like an old version still installed somewhere e.g. VST2 = old, AU = new, stuff like that.
Thanks. I only have the AU and VST2 installed and both are the 2.8 version (for both Zebra2 and ZebraHZ). I'm exchanging emails with support and will hopefully get to the bottom of it.

I've at least figured out how to reproduce it consistently (and avoid it) with the VST2 in Reason and the AU in GarageBand. If I load an instance of Zebra2 and replace it with ZebraHZ, then I try to load a patch like "Batpunk Seq+" it will crash every time in either application. If I quit and reopen either application and use ZebraHZ only, I don't have any issues.

Just mentioning this here since it seemed like someone else had experienced a similar issue, and maybe it was caused by similar steps. When I first went to create and send a log file to support, I was no longer getting the crash, thinking maybe it had somehow resolved itself (similar to what the other user commented). Then I stumbled upon the other steps of getting it to happen...

Thank you Urs and U-he team.
Everything seems to work as intended. The new skin is beautiful, I'm not missing the old one.

A.

dermage wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:28 pm On Windows 10 v1803 64bit, the Data location "Browse" button is broken. If I choose a directory, it does not change the value of the field.
There are three possibilities why it might not have accepted that path you navigated to:

* it's a path which is not allowed (e.g. in progam files)
* you have not switched from "automatic folder selection" to "manual folder selection" before browsing for the path
* you have browsed directly into the existing ZebraHZ.data folder

So for example, if you installed to C:\Users\username\Documents\u-he\ZebraHZ.data, and the installer is not already suggesting that path, check the "manual folder selection" option first, then click browse, and navigate into C:\Users\username\Documents\u-he.
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am So for example, if you installed to C:\Users\username\Documents\u-he\ZebraHZ.data, and the installer is not already suggesting that path, check the "manual folder selection" option first, then click browse, and navigate into C:\Users\username\Documents\u-he.
This may have been the case. I will try it later again. Although intuitively I think it should change to "manual" automatically when setting a path with "browse", but that's imho ;)
On my other PC the path was detected OK, though.

dermage wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:36 pm This may have been the case. I will try it later again. Although intuitively I think it should change to "manual" automatically when setting a path with "browse", but that's imho ;)
Yep, agree, that would be nice. Will put it on the improvement list for a future overhaul of the Winstaller.

Possible bug: Mapping the default MMap 1 (increment mode) to Env 3: Slope doesn't seem to be having any effect.

Hi!

Comparing Zebra 2.8 & ZebraHZ 2.8 I've found an interesting thing:

In Zebra the parameter order in the LFO's is: FreqMod Src/Dpt -> Rate -> DepthMod Src/Dpt -> Amp
but in ZebraHZ it's: Amp -> DepthMod Src/Dpt -> Rate -> FreqMod Src/Dpt

So it's fully reversed.

Parameter order in LGO G's is also inconsistent:
Zebra: Rate -> Amp -> Phase
ZebraHZ: Amp -> Rate -> Phase

And also in VCF's:
Zebra: ModSrc/Dpt1 -> ModSrc/Dpt2 -> Cutoff
ZebraHZ: Cutoff -> ModSrc/Dpt1 -> ModSrc/Dpt2

There are similar small inconsistencies between Zebra & ZebraHZ in the following modules: FMO, Comb, Shape, Mix, XMF (and maybe in other ones I haven't found yet)

Are these bugs or will they stay as they are now?

Thanks!

After playing around with Zebra HZ i must say its a definitive version of Zebra in all aspects but 1 question popped up. Why to change Arp section? On Zebra 2 its very organised. Settings on the left and programing on the right. Even going from Zebra I actually had to open manual to match the "missing" controls :-D part of settings on the bottom and part in programing section. I find it no problem getting used to. But at first sight - unorganised :-D

tasmaniandevil wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 pm
dermage wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:36 pm This may have been the case. I will try it later again. Although intuitively I think it should change to "manual" automatically when setting a path with "browse", but that's imho ;)
Yep, agree, that would be nice. Will put it on the improvement list for a future overhaul of the Winstaller.
I rechecked on the machine where it happened initially, and now it works there, too. It seems to have been at a broken state after I installed the previous ZebraHZ.
Also the "Browse" -> Manual auto switch is now working. Unfortunately I can't recreate the state I had before installing ZHZ 2.8.

vvilms wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:18 pm Possible bug: Mapping the default MMap 1 (increment mode) to Env 3: Slope doesn't seem to be having any effect.
Can't say for sure, but this is most likely not a bug.
As the envelopes need to be calculated very early (since they can be used for the main amplidude modulation in the grid), the values for them are probably being calculated way before the mod mappers are being considered.
Thus certain modulations simply won't work when assigning them to the envelope parameters.
Hope that makes some sort of sense.

tosza wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:38 pm In Zebra the parameter order in the LFO's is: FreqMod Src/Dpt -> Rate -> DepthMod Src/Dpt -> Amp

There are similar small inconsistencies between Zebra & ZebraHZ in the following modules: FMO, Comb, Shape, Mix, XMF (and maybe in other ones I haven't found yet)

What you call a bug, others might call an improvement. :)
It's up to the skin designer to put the parameters of the module interface in the order he thinks is the most useful one.
And this is most likely why our incredible GUI wizard decided to arrange some parameters differently in the ZebraHZ skin.

I was thinking while playing around with System 8 plugin, if there would be a super awesome clean chorus module in Zebra HZ, stereo feature for Diva filter wouldnt even be nescesery :)

Actually Dimention expander (witch is free) does the job very well :)

U-he team, are chorus algorhytms the same in Hive, Diva, Zebra?

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 am
tosza wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:38 pm In Zebra the parameter order in the LFO's is: FreqMod Src/Dpt -> Rate -> DepthMod Src/Dpt -> Amp

It's up to the skin designer to put the parameters of the module interface in the order he thinks is the most useful one.
And this is most likely why our incredible GUI wizard decided to arrange some parameters differently in the ZebraHZ skin.
I find that an improvement, as the order does make more sense (at least with my workflow)

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:46 am

Well, in this case: it's a nice improvement. :wink:
Thanks for the info!

Return to “u-he”