Repro 1 crackling

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, just bought repro today sounds amazing but i was going through the patches and playing the chords patches in particular major major, and theres a lot of crackling the cause of which i narrowed down to the transient in the sonic conditioner. Is this a bug or is it somthing to do with the patches themselves?

griffin wrote:Hi, just bought repro today sounds amazing but i was going through the patches and playing the chords patches in particular major major, and theres a lot of crackling the cause of which i narrowed down to the transient in the sonic conditioner. Is this a bug or is it somthing to do with the patches themselves?
Crackling could mean:

1. You're still somehow in beta mode, or
2. You're pushing your CPU too hard, or maybe
3. You're clipping somewhere

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't expect crackling due to Sonic Conditioner. Also, were you using RePro-1 or RePro-5? If RePro-5, it's entirely possible you're just stressing out your CPU while playing chords. The MultiCore button at the top of the GUI can help with that.

The transient thing in the sonic conditioner can crackle. It's meant for percussive material, but it can cause strange things on pads. Best put to 0 for anything that has long decay or high sustain.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
griffin wrote:Hi, just bought repro today sounds amazing but i was going through the patches and playing the chords patches in particular major major, and theres a lot of crackling the cause of which i narrowed down to the transient in the sonic conditioner. Is this a bug or is it somthing to do with the patches themselves?
Crackling could mean:

1. You're still somehow in beta mode, or
2. You're pushing your CPU too hard, or maybe
3. You're clipping somewhere

Otherwise, no, I wouldn't expect crackling due to Sonic Conditioner. Also, were you using RePro-1 or RePro-5? If RePro-5, it's entirely possible you're just stressing out your CPU while playing chords. The MultiCore button at the top of the GUI can help with that.
It was Repro 1, i thought it was due to 2 or 3 but it was a no to all three. I narrowed it down to the transient on the sonic conditioner by process of elimination i.e turning the transient to zero stopped the crackling. Give the major major patch a go in the chords folder and you should hear it :tu:

Urs wrote:The transient thing in the sonic conditioner can crackle. It's meant for percussive material, but it can cause strange things on pads. Best put to 0 for anything that has long decay or high sustain.
I suspected it was probably due to the way the patch was programmed as there was no crackling any other time apart from a few of those patches in the chords folder. But thats good to know anyway, thanks for the replys guys :tu:

Hi,

I have a brand new I7 8th generation, I use bitwig. I have tried all the suggestions but the crackling remains and its making me mad. I´ve tried different settings in the plugin-handling of bitwig, and I put the files on the exception list of avira...

Ok crackling is gone now, but I had to increase the blocksize to 1440 samples/ 30 ms on my soundcard edirol m16 dx. So I guess I have 30 ms latency then. Is this normal? Anything else I can do?

Thx!
Knobcloud.com - marketplace for audio software

btw when I look at the cpu graph of bitwig there are these huge spikes all the time. When they reach the top, the crackling occurs.

Are you using Windows? If so have you optimised it for running realtime audio applications, i.e. turned off C-states (throttling) [desktops only], set background services to have priority of apps etc. Do you have the latest drivers installed for the soundcard? If not, update them and then try to replicate the problem.

IIRC u-he plugins work best with blocksizes that are a factor of 16 e.g. 512/1024/2056 etc, try reducing the block size to one of these multiples to see if you can reduce input latency without introducing any crackling artifacts.

Do you have access to any other DAW/VST hosting software, if not download Reaper (it's a small DL size with a generous demo, but other programs will also be suitable for the test) and see if you can replicate the problem there. It could be an issue with Bitwig and it would be helpful to eliminate the DAW as a suspect.
Always Read the Manual!

Thx Pie! I tried some of the pc-tuning, but it didnt work. My soundcard seems to have a different block size, it starts at 480 and next is 640. Maybe this is the problem. Because otherwise a new i7 should handle that I guess.

I have an old i5-3450 at 3.1 Ghz with a cheap sound blaster card and using Bitwig and Reaper with WASAPI with 480 samples (10 ms at 48KHz) and I have no problem so there's definitively something wrong with you system. Are you using ASIO or WASAPI? Did you trying switching between both?

I've experienced this at times and find that Sonic Conditioner & Jaws in conjunction can cause crackling. I'm in Logic on a newish iMac. I find easing back on the main volume and Sonic C. gain fixes this - that Jaws is a beast!
Also you can try dragging the boxes/names around in the FX chain window to see if that makes any difference.
On another note...it would be nice to see the actual FX GUI move corresponding to the chain to see the order and red light to show more clearly if the FX is on or off.

Return to “u-he”