u-he refurbished Preset Browser discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I think it's better to ask here instead of making a new thread for it.

Is it still possible to make custom init presets that are automatically loaded when the plugin loads up? I loved that feature, it was such a great workflow thing.

Yes, just call it Default.h2p and place directly in Presets folder root.

david.beholder wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 am 1. when clicking refresh browser expands artist names and jumps down the scroll list.
A refresh will apply the "on open expand to" setting to the folder list. I can create an improvement ticket in the database, asking to omit this step during a refresh, but I have no idea if it's possible to do this, so no promises.

And what do you mean with "it jumps down the scroll list"?
A refresh will make the folder list jump, but only to make the currently selected folder visible in the list.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

david.beholder wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 am 2. when renaming patch dialogue is not submitted by enter
EvilDragon wrote:Yes 2. is annoying. Also, when we click Rename, the text field should have the focus so that we can enter the text straight away. Right now we need to mouse into the field to activate it and only then type text. Not cool
How dialog windows behave (if the text field has the keyboard focus and if hitting Enter works) is highly dependent on the operating system and the host you are using. Works perfectly in some, works partly in others, doesn't work at all in some others.

david.beholder wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:13 pm In Diva 7422 after the search if patch is selected - there are no entry in pulldown menu 'go to the preset folder'. Yes I see path in rightmost panel but such option exists in windows explorer search or in ableton search and it's very convenient.
I can add an improvement request ticket to our database. Maybe I even did so already, because I remember having had the same thought a while ago.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 pm Is there a way to get an 'Exact Match' type of search in the preset browser? Here's the use case: today I went looking for Closed Hats in Zebra2. Many of these presets are labeled "CH" with open hats labeled "OH."
If you would type

Code: Select all

name:" CH "
it would find all the presets which have CH in their name as a standalone word. But it would omit presets which start with CH (because it would also look for the empty space before the CH).

Thus your best option might be to use

Code: Select all

name:"CH "
The downside is that this also finds presets with words ending in ch.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:55 am
david.beholder wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 am 2. when renaming patch dialogue is not submitted by enter
EvilDragon wrote:Yes 2. is annoying. Also, when we click Rename, the text field should have the focus so that we can enter the text straight away. Right now we need to mouse into the field to activate it and only then type text. Not cool
How dialog windows behave (if the text field has the keyboard focus and if hitting Enter works) is highly dependent on the operating system and the host you are using. Works perfectly in some, works partly in others, doesn't work at all in some others.
I guess, but some other plugins that also have dialogs don't seem to have these problems (Windows, Reaper).

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:02 am I guess, but some other plugins that also have dialogs don't seem to have these problems (Windows, Reaper).
FM8 and PSP can do it. (Windows, Abelton 10)

I guess it's time to upgrade framework: certain convenient features like tabs and enters in dialogues and exact value entering should be implemented.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:20 am FM8 and PSP can do it. (Windows, Abelton 10)
The only dialog windows I found in FM8 are Windows system dialogs, not custom plugin dialogs. I guess it's easier to achieve things like key focus when only using those standard system dialogs.
But yes, things like improving the dialog windows have been discussed internally before, but this will take quite some effort, and is not a "quick fix" kinda thing.

The dialog that shows up for renaming a patch in u-he products is also not a custom plugin dialog, it's a system dialog with just a single text entry field, so it should just set input focus then to that field... Possibly relevant:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... dialog-box

It doesn't seem like a huge overhaul is needed in this case... but I will say I'm not really that deep into C++ so I'd take my own statement with a grain of salt :)

tasmaniandevil wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 am The only dialog windows I found in FM8 are Windows system dialogs
Search field: watch cursor is disappearing when you click enter.
Murderous duck!

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:48 am The dialog that shows up for renaming a patch in u-he products is also not a custom plugin dialog
Ah, yes, I was thinking more of our preset save dialog when writing my answer. :)

david.beholder wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:03 pm Search field: watch cursor is disappearing when you click enter.
But to be fair, this works in our search field as well, even in Ableton Live on Windows. :wink:

So why is it a problem to have text input for parameter values exactly as it is in the search field :)

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm So why is it a problem to have text input for parameter values exactly as it is in the search field :)
If I were a developer, I would probably be able to answer this, but as I have no clue about all the inner workings and intricacies of system and plugin dialog windows, all I can offer you is a heartfelt and honest :shrug:

Return to “u-he”