u-he refurbished Preset Browser discussion

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Russell Grand wrote:The great part of a forum is that we can all have opinions and share them. I don't get the constant put-downs here when I have a legitimate issue with something. :shrug:

Old man yelling at clouds, out.
But see, this post was way more specific and constructive, and in the end, you may have found a resolution to your issues (or at least, some improvement). I really didn't mean offense, but there were a few posts saying the new browser wasn't as good without explaining why. That's where it gets it into "old man yelling at clouds' territory. On the other hand, saying "I don't like the long load times and the folder changing" is either an opportunity for improvment or to receive support.

Anyway, glad your browser issues were sorted out.

drzhnn wrote:Unfortunately, while keeping all the features of the old browser, the new one feels quite different. In a bad way.

The main problem I have is that I keep accidentally moving folders around, instead of just selecting. Say, I'm in the middle of something, all inspired and stuff, and I want to just quickly load a patch from the location I know. So I go to preset browser, I click on that folder... but because I'm such a speedy guy, I guess, that folder just unexpectedly moves to the folder above. Or a couple folders above. And it's a showstopper for me. I drop everything and start moving things where they where before. And it isn't always possible from within the browser, so I have to use Explorer or Total Commander. And by the way, did you know you can accidentally move User folder to the Local folder? It happened to me several times. Not nice at all.

Don't get me wrong. I love the feature set of the new browser. Tags. favorites, smart search - they are brilliant. But it's the other small things that ruin it for me.
I've totally done this too. It's probably the only thing I don't like about the Preset Browser (ok, I also want to be able to name my own Favourites categories). I'd much prefer either a lock for folders that's on by default, or completely preventing the ability to drag and drop folder locations. A lock offers more flexibility, but a complete ban on that would totally prevent it. Heck, even a dialog box (which seems antiquated) saying 'Are you sure you want to move this folder' would be better.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:The great part of a forum is that we can all have opinions and share them. I don't get the constant put-downs here when I have a legitimate issue with something. :shrug:

Old man yelling at clouds, out.
But see, this post was way more specific and constructive, and in the end, you may have found a resolution to your issues (or at least, some improvement). I really didn't mean offense, but there were a few posts saying the new browser wasn't as good without explaining why. That's where it gets it into "old man yelling at clouds' territory. On the other hand, saying "I don't like the long load times and the folder changing" is either an opportunity for improvment or to receive support.

Anyway, glad your browser issues were sorted out.
No offense taken. :hug: I hadn't considered your point of view when I'd originally posted, but you're right. There are people out there who rag on software without having any legitimate reason why (and some of those people may not have even tried the software in question in the first place), and some who may be trolling just to stir up trouble. I should have taken that into consideration before getting a bit defensive so my apologies.

Unfortunately I didn't get around to testing out tonight like I'd planned, but I intend to do so before I go to work in the morning. Thanks, Funkybot and zvenx. I appreciate your help and understanding. :D

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
drzhnn wrote:Unfortunately, while keeping all the features of the old browser, the new one feels quite different. In a bad way.

The main problem I have is that I keep accidentally moving folders around, instead of just selecting. Say, I'm in the middle of something, all inspired and stuff, and I want to just quickly load a patch from the location I know. So I go to preset browser, I click on that folder... but because I'm such a speedy guy, I guess, that folder just unexpectedly moves to the folder above. Or a couple folders above. And it's a showstopper for me. I drop everything and start moving things where they where before. And it isn't always possible from within the browser, so I have to use Explorer or Total Commander. And by the way, did you know you can accidentally move User folder to the Local folder? It happened to me several times. Not nice at all.

Don't get me wrong. I love the feature set of the new browser. Tags. favorites, smart search - they are brilliant. But it's the other small things that ruin it for me.
I've totally done this too. It's probably the only thing I don't like about the Preset Browser (ok, I also want to be able to name my own Favourites categories). I'd much prefer either a lock for folders that's on by default, or completely preventing the ability to drag and drop folder locations. A lock offers more flexibility, but a complete ban on that would totally prevent it. Heck, even a dialog box (which seems antiquated) saying 'Are you sure you want to move this folder' would be better.
#metoo

Russell Grand wrote:I should have taken that into consideration before getting a bit defensive so my apologies.
:tu:
Tip for all u-he users:
Always, always, always RTFM ("read the fantastic manual") i.e. learn the basics of each product before posting gripes.

[Mod edit: No, just no]

Howard wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:I should have taken that into consideration before getting a bit defensive so my apologies.
:tu:
Tip for all u-he users:
Always, always, always RTFM ("read the fantastic manual") i.e. learn the basics of each product before posting gripes.
After all your work with the new Preset Browser, i think it would be a good idea to make short 2-3min. mini-video with basic infos und some nice tips and tricks about the new Browser. For example you could put that small video into every .zip file of the installers. Unfortunately most of us are too lazy to read the fantastic manuals. :wink:

tasmaniandevil wrote:
Joe Leidigkeit wrote:The only thing I really wish for is the chance to rename the favorites (in the Browser AND the right-click menue)!
We have an improvement request ticket for this, but no decision has been made yet. So it won't happen now, but it might happen in the future.
Any news about that?
So with every u-he plugin that gets updated with new browser i'm getting more and more confused.
For example it was easy with just the 'normal' synths like Diva and Zebra.
Favorite red - Bass, blue - Pad, green - Fx.....
But yet in Repro-1 you might want to have three bass categories. And even now with your effect plugins getting the new browser, i get totally lost. In Presswerk and CC e.g. you want completely different catagories (Drums, Limiter, Snare... Chorus, Dub, short...) than in your synths. For me it's not possible to remember the particular colour - favorite assignments in the actual plugin i am using.
So, if there's any way to make that happen in the future - it would make so happy. :pray: :)

And thanks for all the updates. it's really the smartest preset browser i know. Such a timesaver! :clap: :clap:

drzhnn wrote: The main problem I have is that I keep accidentally moving folders around, instead of just selecting. Say, I'm in the middle of something, all inspired and stuff, and I want to just quickly load a patch from the location I know. So I go to preset browser, I click on that folder... but because I'm such a speedy guy, I guess, that folder just unexpectedly moves to the folder above. Or a couple folders above. And it's a showstopper for me. I drop everything and start moving things where they where before. And it isn't always possible from within the browser, so I have to use Explorer or Total Commander. And by the way, did you know you can accidentally move User folder to the Local folder? It happened to me several times. Not nice at all.
Yes, this! I think I have noticed the same thing. The activation of the "drag'n'drop mode" seems to be a little too sensitive. Often when I just want to go into a folder by simply clicking it, suddenly the drag'n'drop symbol (along with the little "forbidden" symbol, since I can't move a folder into itself) appears next to the mouse pointer. I have tried to figure out when exactly this happens since it seems to be slightly random, but haven't quite figured it out. First I thought I might be still moving the mouse pointer when clicking, but sometimes I definitely "park" the pointer first, then wait for a moment, and still the drag'n'drop mode activates for a second with a single, fast, mousedown->mouseup click, without moving the pointer at all.

It's not a showstopper for me (I haven't moved anything by accident, yet), but makes the browser feel a little clumsy and sticky. This happens at least in Z2 & Diva, and I don't remember seeing a similar issue in any other (non-u-he) software. I'm using a Macbook Pro, and the latest versions of OS X, Logic & u-he plugins.

Here's a video presentation of the issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qh2Sn ... kXLNApXSW6

Joe Leidigkeit wrote:
tasmaniandevil wrote:
Joe Leidigkeit wrote:The only thing I really wish for is the chance to rename the favorites (in the Browser AND the right-click menue)!
We have an improvement request ticket for this, but no decision has been made yet. So it won't happen now, but it might happen in the future.
Any news about that?
Sorry, no news to report in that area.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Captain wrote:
drzhnn wrote: The main problem I have is that I keep accidentally moving folders around, instead of just selecting.
Yes, this! I think I have noticed the same thing. The activation of the "drag'n'drop mode" seems to be a little too sensitive.
We already worked on that issue.
You can test it with Presswerk 1.1.2 and Colour Copy 1.0. Those already have an improved drag&drop behaviour integrated, so accidental drag&drops should not happen anymore in those plugins.
And to answer your next question. Yes, the next updates will include those improvements in the other plugins as well.
And the answer to the follow-up question is: No, I don't know when those updates will arrive. :)
That QA guy from planet u-he.

tasmaniandevil wrote:
Captain wrote:
drzhnn wrote: The main problem I have is that I keep accidentally moving folders around, instead of just selecting.
Yes, this! I think I have noticed the same thing. The activation of the "drag'n'drop mode" seems to be a little too sensitive.
You can test it with Presswerk 1.1.2 and Colour Copy 1.0. Those already have an improved drag&drop behaviour integrated, so accidental drag&drops should not happen anymore in those plugins.
And to answer your next question. Yes, the next updates will include those improvements in the other plugins as well.
And the answer to the follow-up question is: No, I don't know when those updates will arrive. :)

You are a mind reader or what? :)
rsp
sound sculptist

tasmaniandevil wrote:
Captain wrote:
Oh yeah? OK, but one question still remains: how come you guys at u-he are so awesome? :D

I checked the preset browser behavior in ColourCopy and it feels perfect now. Thank you! :clap:

I second, or third, the need to be able to rename favourites. I tried to use the colours to suggest the sound but my synaesthesia wasn't up to it. Favourite Bass, Favourite Pad etc much easier to organise across soundbanks when sound-searching.

tasmaniandevil wrote: We already worked on that issue.
Well I'll be damned! :lol: Yes, seems indeed to work perfectly in PW & CC. The reason I never noticed is that I have probably never used a preset in a compressor or delay, so I only tried those plugins where the issue still exists. Good to know a fix is on the way, thanks! :tu:

Return to “u-he”