GR-300 for Zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did a search here and came up with nothing about a GR-300 patch for Zebra, so I apologize if it has already been discussed. I am looking for a preset that comes close to the famous GR-300 sound used by Pat Metheny and others. I have something similar in my Roland GR-33, but nothing I can find in Zebra or any other VST synth. I am guitar player using Midi Guitar to access VST synths, and really know nothing about tweaking these synths. I do plan to learn, but am hoping that someone may have already created something close. :)

Om another note, I am mostly into lead synth solo patches. While Zebra sounds great, it does not have a lot in this area in the presets. I plan to build my own in time, but wonder if anyone can point me to presets/patches that cover many synth lead styles like Metheny, Chick Corea, Jeff Beck Wired album, Snarky Puppy, etc. An add on preset pack with synth leads for Zebra would be awesome!

Much appreciated :)

Although I think you could create many of those old Oberheim 4 voice and JX-10 sounds of Lyle Mays in something like Diva/SEM-V/PG-8X, etc. The GR-300 is so hard because its based on tracking 6 strings on a guitar. Boards of Canada also uses one on a couple tunes.
Last edited by synth_punk on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@ GR-300
I'd say that a particular attention must be put onto the attack of the sound.
I.e. try to add, using an envelope + randomness, some pitch shifting irregularity to it.
I'd say this is an important element bringing the personality of that sound.
For the tone, saw tooth should be the right choice.
My 2 cents.

Thanks guys. Since it is such a popular lead sound, I would have assumed that someone whould have created a preset by now. I'll continue my search for that style of synth lead, and in the meantime, try to learn how to tweak Zebra. Right now for me it like trying to communicate with someone from China, and I only speak English. I have no idea where to start. I'll look for tutorials on YouTube.

zuropak wrote:I did a search here
viewtopic.php?t=454023

Thanks Chris. How did you search that? When I searched for GR-300 or Metheny, that did not come up? Anyway, that post is so old now that none of the links work :(

You can always send the posters a pm and ask if they could upload the patch again.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

zuropak wrote:Thanks Chris. How did you search that?
Google. :clown:

I found one of the links at this site: https://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/zebra.html

I have to be the one to say it: why on earth would anyone actually want to replicate that godawful sound? I have a lot of trouble explaining to some folks what a great musician Metheny actually is... when they hear THAT sound it instantly triggers their gag reflex. It reeks of supermarkets, elevators, and cheap leisure suits. It's a sound that says: howdy doody! It can turn even the slightest emotional expression into cottage cheese. It does for the guitar what Mantovani did for classical music. If the vision of music used as a weapon ever came true, it would be this sound playing the lead melody.

Whew. Carry on. Apologies.

According to your description, I’m wondering why Metheny would use such a sound then.

nordickvr wrote:According to your description, I’m wondering why Metheny would use such a sound then.
I've been wondering about that for decades.

ariston wrote:
nordickvr wrote:According to your description, I’m wondering why Metheny would use such a sound then.
I'll go for his answer.

nordickvr wrote:
ariston wrote:
I'll go for his answer.
Which is very likely to be "because I liked it" - do you think learnèd musicians are beyond lapses of taste?

I remember an interview with Metheny back in the day, in which the journalist asked him what he thought about his music being used as supermarket backdrop because it was so wonderfully non-intrusive and harmless. He was really surprised - and quite taken aback - by this.
Most of the people I know can't listen to Metheny because of his sound. THIS sound.

Anyhoo, don't mean to derail the thread further so I'll be taking my hat now. Toodle-pip. :party:

ariston wrote:
nordickvr wrote:
ariston wrote:
I'll go for his answer.
Which is very likely to be "because I liked it" - do you think learnèd musicians are beyond lapses of taste?

I remember an interview with Metheny back in the day, in which the journalist asked him what he thought about his music being used as supermarket backdrop because it was so wonderfully non-intrusive and harmless. He was really surprised - and quite taken aback - by this.
Most of the people I know can't listen to Metheny because of his sound. THIS sound.

Anyhoo, don't mean to derail the thread further so I'll be taking my hat now. Toodle-pip. :party:
You seem to think that you and most of the people you know couldn't be "beyond lapses of taste".
Interesting.
BTW, there's classical music used as "supermarket backdrop" at the supermarket I go every weeks.
But you'r right, let's don't derail this thread anymore, OP do care about THIS sound.

Return to “u-he”