Rent-to-own?

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

-1 for diva in this model on osx

which is to say, i am against the idea. i do not think it would benefit them or many other people

pdxindy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 am
bmrzycki wrote: I'd much rather have u-he working on innovative new sound design ideas rather than re-working their payment system for rent-to-own.
+1
This.

I know that Splice has an SDK that allows you to enable plugins to work with their system. The Splice app must be running and the computer must be online for the plugin to work during the payment period. They also have a stop and resume protocol.

More info here:

https://support.splice.com/hc/en-us/art ... eneral-FAQ

+1 for a u-he pay-to-own option. Some of us don't have the cash to buy anything and everything we see.

sleepcircle wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:28 pm -1 for diva in this model on osx

which is to say, i am against the idea. i do not think it would benefit them or many other people
Of course it would.

Of course it wouldn't.

There, now we're even again.

Why wouldn't it? People who can't afford the plugins, or don't want to spend 150-200 € at once, can pay in installments, or rent the plugins for some time, if they don't want to buy them at all. U-he get customers they normally wouldn't get. And, when they use Splice, they don't even have to implement copy protection, or a rent to own system themselves. Win-win. Of course, u-he have to know whether or not it makes sense for them. I personally can't see an issue with such a system.

I don't get why you, as a customer, have issues with it. Any particular reason for that?

I'll quote myself as nothing has changed in the meantime.
Urs wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:58 pm I think it's a lot of development work for a major business risk. It involves creating a challenge/response (or online activation) scheme, or it involves using a pre-made solution such as iLok. It also involves creating separate binaries for each platform and license model. Either way we would have to initially try it with one product, and it'll take a one or two year trial to see how it stacks up against our current scheme.

Thing is, an overall loss of 10% over the course of a year costs two jobs. I much rather spend time on developing new things than on such risks.

So you wouldn't want to use Splice?

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm So you wouldn't want to use Splice?
Me?

Yes. :)

As far as i understand it, Slice offers a SDK so that plugin developers can offer their plugins using the Splice system (which includes a client which has to run when you rent to own the plugin, i think). There's a note on this page (scroll down to the last point): https://splice.com/features/plugins

It's just encouraging people to spend money that they don't have.

It is essentially the same as making the purchase with a credit card and going into debt by that amount, except if the customer over-spends (which too frequently people do, in these sorts of 'instant gratification and payment later' situations) and can't make good on the deal, the company directly loses money, instead of the credit card companies which make a business of taking those kinds of risks.

It's encouraging people to have more of their funds leeched away by monthly obligations they can't remember the source of. You say "maybe they don't want to spend 200£ or € or whatever all at once," well what is the difference between splice and saving up a little bit every month and then buying it, cash, in one go?

The difference is, of course: that someone else is now in control of where their money goes, at what speed, on account of all these bleedin' preapproved withdrawals and things.

People want to forget about budgeting and just let the system handle it, but it also takes away the feeling of weight and the importance of a decision when you decide to spend X amount of money. You think, "oh it's only a little a month," but all those littles build up quickly.

And when you're budgeting, if you suddenly need the money for something more important and you haven't made the purchase yet, you can spend it on whatever the emergency is, instead of being constantly without any reserves, from all the monthly payments.
Last edited by sleepcircle on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

You can stop or pause the payment at any time. I can't see how it would remotely resemble paying with a credit card.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm Why wouldn't it? People who can't afford the plugins
That is just total marketing BS... it has nothing to do with people who cannot afford the plugin. The price is not less with Splice.

The only thing that can be said is it may be an advantage for people who can afford it but are not disciplined to save up their money.

And for people who really cannot afford it, it might entice them into a contract when the money really should have gone to rent, childcare etc.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm Slice offers a SDK
an SDK = development hours spent it which is less hours on Zebra 3... that is a big no!

Return to “u-he”