Why Are the Linux Versions of U-He Products Hidden On the U-He Web Page

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

#rob wrote:
bulevardi wrote:Maybe U-He is working on a guitar amp? *wink*?
Nope, no plans of going there, at least none that I know of.
Hah! I've barked up that tree before.

Although, my suggestion was something more of a 'Swiss Army knife of amp sims.' Perhaps an enhancement/extension of Presswerk combined with Protoverb? Further, it wouldn't be peculiar of just guitars/guitarists, but rather applicable to any signal--certainly synths. Nonetheless awesome for guitars! :wink:
Btw, :wink:

bulevardi wrote:
Today I managed to run the U-He synths in Ardour.
(with this batch installer: https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux/com ... on_script/ )
Works perfect. Going to play with it a while and if it suits my needs I probably go further with that.
GRR, I have to come back on that. Yesterday it worked.
Today, when I try to load a plugin, Ardour crashes and closes immediately.
I was cheering too quickly I guess.
It would have been too easy to get good synths working in Linux.
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

lunardigs wrote:[
Although, my suggestion was something more of a 'Swiss Army knife of amp sims.'
I guess I'm going to use some hardware for guitar amps, like the Line 6 Pocked Pod or Behringer V-Amp things.

But then I can't record dry and add effects softwarematically (non-destructive), and only record with effects loaded already.

bulevardi wrote:I'm wondering if there would be a Vandal version for Linux someday... Maybe I should contact Magix for this? Or maybe someone else is using Vandal here too, on Linux? I cannot get it to work via Wine or PlayOnLinux.
Magix let me know they're discontinuing their product and stopped offering the mac version already.

bulevardi wrote:
lunardigs wrote:[
Although, my suggestion was something more of a 'Swiss Army knife of amp sims.'
I guess I'm going to use some hardware for guitar amps, like the Line 6 Pocked Pod or Behringer V-Amp things.

But then I can't record dry and add effects softwarematically (non-destructive), and only record with effects loaded already.
bulevardi, take a look at this http://moddevices.com/

I have a MOD DUO and it's very impressive (I intend to write a full review shortly). They also have a path forward to running these tools upon your desktop, within the graphic shell (mod-ui) which could be plugged virtually via Jack. Moreover, all the plugins within MOD DUO are LV2, which means you could piece them together within Ardour or something like Carla.

Meanwhile, you should at least capture a DI of all your guitar work/tracks so that you can process it later as these avenues unfold.

Btw, guitar stuff is a big one for me too. I'm a 100% Linux at this point too. I've been able to make it all work very nicely.

Please feel free to ask me any questions!

EDIT: Also check out Guitarix ( https://guitarix.org/ )! This amp sim sounds really good; you can massage all kinds of awesome tones from it. More than likely, your distro's software repository already has it ready to install.

lunardigs wrote: bulevardi, take a look at this http://moddevices.com/

I have a MOD DUO and it's very impressive (I intend to write a full review shortly). They also have a path forward to running these tools upon your desktop, within the graphic shell (mod-ui) which could be plugged virtually via Jack. Moreover, all the plugins within MOD DUO are LV2, which means you could piece them together within Ardour or something like Carla.
Sounds very very interesting indeed.

I guess I can also just plug the output to my USB interfaces that I use as input for Ardour (with Alsa)?
(as I don't like Jack server that much, already have had lots of trouble with get that configured and connected right, otherwise Guitarix would be awesome too indeed)

My first solution right now is Alsa, currently works as it should. I know jack has lots of other advantages, to link other software to Ardour etc... but i'm going to try the jack adventure later on again when I have more time.

There have been some solid insights in this thread, good stuff. Surely u-he ought to display those Linux builds prominently on the website. :hug: Hiding them away is silly.

And then just be very transparent about it...explain the situation. :hihi:

Oh, how simple!

This Mod Duo is not that cheap (+600 euro).
You're recording destructive that way too.
You'll have to find all LV2's to put on your Mod, configure them to the sound you want...
A Line 6 Pocket Pod has already tons of presets available and is 7 times cheaper.

bulevardi wrote:This Mod Duo is not that cheap (+600 euro).
You're recording destructive that way too.
You'll have to find all LV2's to put on your Mod, configure them to the sound you want...
A Line 6 Pocket Pod has already tons of presets available and is 7 times cheaper.
True, the MOD DUO device is pretty expensive. They're a fresh company though, so I'm confident their costs will come down in time. Yet, right now, their enthusiasm and aims are unbridled. Keep an eye on them! Their efforts will greatly benefit the Linux pro-audio ecosystem.

As for turnkey presets, plugins and sounds (synth and sampler instruments included) they're in there! You don't need to load them yourself--unless you want to make your own plugins for use on the device which they encourage and have furnished documentation (MAX/MSP, PureDate, JUCE, etc.). Here's the list of plugins: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/plug ... 0a712c9484

Also, check out their 'social media' style preset sharing angle. Basically, you can share and load presets at once with the community.

As for DSP quality/power, the MOD DUO is in essence a Raspberry Pi (with an ARM A7). Now, it could be the Line 6 Pocket Pod has a more power that that, although I doubt it. I couldn't find anything stating what's within a Pocket Pod.

Now, the case of "recording destructive" is true if you're mean to use the DUO as an effects loop. Yet, the development that's said forthcoming is the MOD software suite will become unbound from the device. This means it will resemble something like Native Instruments Guitar Rig, where you can run the whole suite from a plugin within your DAW. :hyper: <- I never use this emoji, btw.

Of course, Guitarix can give you most of this right now--btw, Guitarix plugins come loaded on the MOD DUO as well. Although, if wish to have a consistent platform to record and perform upon, the DUO is a strong offering. Especially, if you mean to reside on Linux!

As far as Jack/ALSA goes, can you tell me what distribution you're using; Ubuntu, Fedora?

lunardigs wrote:
bulevardi wrote: As far as Jack/ALSA goes, can you tell me what distribution you're using; Ubuntu, Fedora?
I'm on Linux Mint.

And yes, I'm planning to reside on Linux.

Couple of years ago I tried to make my recording studio on my spare computer where I put Linux onto (after Win XP crashed and didn't want to install).
I was struggling with tons of things to get sound in/out. Tried with different interfaces, tried different distros too.
Finally I gave up because I wanted to start recording and on my main computer (windows again) I managed to record more easily.
Now this main computer crashed too last month, the windows recovery couldn't get installed anymore neither, so Linux was the quick and easy solution to recover this pc. Now I'm on both pc's with Linux Mint and I'm not going to plan to change to windows.... not 100% in the workflow yet, working with other photography software (RawTherapee now) and my excel macro's need to change too someday in LibreOffice.

If I don't spend the € 150 to a new Windows licence, I can spend € 150 to synths or pedal or other stuff instead ;)

As for linux versions being hidden away, I would argue that the U-he team as a whole, are not daily linux desktop computer users,
so having separate discussion areas for the linux ports,
their users, and the porting developer, is quite sensible.
The linux audio community isn't big enough, or quiet enough,
that great news remains unmentioned, let alone be hidden.

The linux-port developer has also chosen a new spot to communicate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux

Is it :party: or :dog: ? That's up to us, I'm voting :party: !
(even though reddit will restrict new postings, because their silly
bot-master thinks you post too often to be hooomuhn :x )
Cheers

bulevardi wrote:
lunardigs wrote:
bulevardi wrote: As far as Jack/ALSA goes, can you tell me what distribution you're using; Ubuntu, Fedora?
I'm on Linux Mint.

And yes, I'm planning to reside on Linux.
The main advantage of Jack vs. stand-alone ALSA is that you can chain together audio apps and even audio interfaces--across networks (TCP/IP) as well, it's nuts. It also has mechanisms for remembering patches for both audio and MIDI. Not only that, timecode can easily be synchronized between apps and devices, whereas to do so otherwise would require patching physical MIDI hardware.

Direct ALSA on the other hand will have the lowest latency, albeit negligible for most intents. Furthermore, this advantage may only be possible if your audio app has the ability to configure it's buffer. Meanwhile, Jack has all the tools and settings for buffer/latency and makes this consistent across your apps and devices. In this sense, Jack makes things much easier.

That said, start out in whatever manner you find effective! If straight ALSA is doing the trick for you, use it. I suspect you'll come to use Jack eventually though.

Distros that implement Jack properly (that I know of for sure) are Fedora, Ubuntu Studio and KXStudio. I prefer Fedora, for my overall computing, but this is personal. Although, Fedora does pulseaudio-jack-sink very well. This is where pulseaudio (the default sound server for your desktop) works with Jack at the same time. This is valuable as the two would otherwise interfere with each other to some degree regarding your normal sound experience for things like web browsing, etc. Unfortunately, I'm finding documentation on Linux Mint for this a little scarce. Although, there seems to be enough Ubuntu documentation to suffice.

Nonetheless, it's seem you have bit of practical ALSA and Ardour experience ahead of you before diving too much deeper here.

Does all this make sense so far? I can clarify anything that sounds weird.

glokraw wrote:As for linux versions being hidden away, I would argue that the U-he team as a whole, are not daily linux desktop computer users,
Though they should!
Everyone knows Apple ripped off KDE back in the day. :wink:

Hadn't heard of that theft myself, but I don't get out much.
Stealing open source? :ud: :lol: :ud:

After KDE 3 was abandoned, I always avoided
the V4 trainwrecks and wildfires that folllowed.
If they stole things after V3, they've already been
well punished with support and update cost over-runs :wink:

Not that their accountants could see over the piles of i-cash
to notice the lowly computer department revenues. Or losses.
Cheers

Return to “u-he”