Why Are the Linux Versions of U-He Products Hidden On the U-He Web Page

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I supposed this has been brought up before, but I don't see a mention.

I am sure I am one of many who would have purchased U-He products if we knew they had Linux versions.

I only recently found out through this forum. But most potential customers don't know about this forum.

With the booming popularity of multimedia Linux on the desktop distros, what is the point of keeping it secret?

I am not sure it is officially supported.
Is it?
What booming popularity btw?
rsp
sound sculptist

Maybe Beta-status is a reason. Besides that, Ace, Podolski und Hive run super smooth with Linux Mint and Tracktion/Waveform (which is pretty picky atm - so good job u-he Team).

Edit: Forgot Podolski :)

Well, the Linux community is slowly reaching one out of a hundred downloads for us, mostly free stuff. Thing is, we can't afford to hire a full time developer for it. We rely on freelance work. As such, they won't leave beta status anytime soon. Especially not after we have refactored and refurbished preset handling (WIP), which completely broke our ability to compile Linux versions. We'll be meeting Abique (our freelance Linux developer) in the near future to discuss how we go about it.

zvenx wrote: What booming popularity btw?
rsp
I sure see a of of people doing music in Linux, but I tend to follow the geekier forums.

I believe a recent announcement by Bitwig showed more Linux licenses were purchased than Mac versions and increasing.

I also know a lot of people that recently switched after good music apps and plugins became available.

I know I wouldn't want go back. I had been using Windows and Mac OS for music until the past couple years.

I use Bitwig, Zebra2 and many other plugins without any problems.

I use all u-he products on Linux, and I mean all, without any problems at all. Basically, they're the main source of high quality synths in the Linux world, out of hobby projects (exception made of the OBXD and Zynaddsubfx, but still). Can't see making music w/o the u-he synths and plugins.

Hopefully Repro-5 will also have a Linux version.

Urs wrote:Well, the Linux community is slowly reaching one out of a hundred downloads for us, mostly free stuff. Thing is, we can't afford to hire a full time developer for it. We rely on freelance work. As such, they won't leave beta status anytime soon. Especially not after we have refactored and refurbished preset handling (WIP), which completely broke our ability to compile Linux versions. We'll be meeting Abique (our freelance Linux developer) in the near future to discuss how we go about it.
Abique has been nothing but a pleasure to work with ever since you released Podolski. I really hope you manage to work out the compiling issue- I've been using (& buying) your stuff like crazy ever since you released Linux betas. It has been super stable, and sounds great.

Between you and Bitwig, a world of Linux audio that was never available before exists. Keep sending the awesomeness, and I'll keep sending the $$, and hopefully more customers- regardless of platform.
...If you have to fix it with a computer: quantized, pitch corrected, and overly inspected, then you can't do it, and I can't get behind that!
-Henry Rollins; I Can't Get Behind That-from William Shatner's, "Has Been"

tomsa wrote: Between you and Bitwig, a world of Linux audio that was never available before exists. Keep sending the awesomeness, and I'll keep sending the $$, and hopefully more customers- regardless of platform.
Absolutely. This is what made me jump in and create the soundcloud page about a year 1/2 ago, and learn about mixing, synths, and all that. Before I was using Ardour only and recording tracks, with sometimes an open source synth here and there but with not much conviction. This is the best investement in music I made, u-he synths and plugins, Bitwig (for creation), Mixbus32C (for final mixing) and OvertoneDSP plugin emulations. Plus the Pianoteq pianos. Since that day I opened up creation and possibilities.

u-he, and the sound designers offering creative soundsets, play an important role. To all: Thanks !

Well the history with Linux is that support is a bit of vicious circle; users are reluctant to buy unsupported stuff, developers are reluctant to invest to support such a small market. That being said, I am convinced that the market for Linux plugins is very small; until recently even getting VST to work was a pain, however the situation seems to be getting better so any small assurance (such as "support on a best-effort basis" vs "hidden & unsupported" could help)

p.s: A funny anecdote I have with U-HE and Linux is that some time ago, when I first learned about Bazille, I installed wine and used the windows demo version, unaware of the native one!

Urs wrote:Well, the Linux community is slowly reaching one out of a hundred downloads for us, mostly free stuff. Thing is, we can't afford to hire a full time developer for it.
But...but...but...muh Linux is booming!

The Linux pro-audio space is wide open, presently. Does this sound like an opportunity to anyone? Haha! Should we instead invest at the top, or maybe sooner, perhaps?

Innovative businesses make their own market. For this, I don't buy the 'market share argument.' It's a cop-out in my view.

So be it though. Despite the continual realization that Apple and Microsoft don't have our best interest at heart. Despite the never-ending chicanery, abuse and lack of respect. These things will only intensify. In fact, by their actions, it will be Apple and Microsoft who ultimately make the case for Linux. Mark my words.

About a year ago OvertoneDSP (one known as LinuxDSP ...) dropped thier Linux support. OvertoneDSP makes Pulltec, Fairchild, SSL emulations. They also have SSL guys with them. You actually can read about the major argument between OvertoneDSP and Paul Davis creator of jackd and Ardour somewhere on ardour.org. The plugins were making Ardour crash quite often.

So they might have call it done. But recently they came back reintroducing Linux support and even better than before.

I guess it would be possible to advance that their sales are so low that Linux does make a difference. Maybe that's the case. Maybe not. Because why go trough the trouble of supporting Linux when you can easily surf on the Windows and MAC waves and give all your developement attention there ?

https://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/

Re: "Well, the Linux community is slowly reaching one out of a hundred downloads for us, mostly free stuff."

Of course that would be true. There is nothing listed as Linux compatible on the web site.
You can't say it doesn't sell if people don't know a product exists.

I seem to see posts on music sites where several people have purchased U-He products for use on Linux without problems. Sometimes multiple products.
But these are the people who know that they exist.

I probably represent the majority of Linux users who didn't purchase U-He products because they weren't listed as compatible on the web site.

I did find out later that many products do work without a hitch on your standard multimedia Linux distributions.
So I eventually purchased Zebra2 and have had no problems with it. But I had to go to a hidden link to find it.

I plan to purchase more over time, which is why I went to the web site to find that nothing was listed as compatible?

There are many good DAWs that work on Linux and many good plugins. And there are more companies making their products compatible every day.

There are also more people using Linux every day. Younger people and/or those that are willing to switch are enjoying the advantages.

I was an MCSE at one point (suppose I still am, though not current). I know the Microsoft game. I used to trick small/medium businesses into getting Microsoft Small Business Servers, workstations, MS Office, Abobe Suite, Autocad, Quickbooks, Cisco appliances, etc. Now days, I run my own small company and we do not use ANY of those products/brands. Why? Simply because they're bad for us (too many reasons to list). Yet, knowing that now (and yes, subconsciously then) why did I do it? Why did I support that stuff from end-to-end? Well, the same trick I was pulling on my clients was the same trick that had been pulled on me. It's called belief and it's partially material in nature, but it's primarily psychological.

The war that's been waged here (by the big OS duopoly, and yes, they are in league with each other) is not one that pro-audio boutiques can shift. Belief is a hard fought commodity. Billions are dumped into setting peoples' minds. We're all victims to some extent. Knowing this though, what is one to do about it? ... Small steps I guess. Practical, small steps in a better direction, I hope.

U-he, you should really make your "Linux Beta" more prominent--you don't have to guarantee anything. Just try it.

mclstr wrote: Of course that would be true. There is nothing listed as Linux compatible on the web site. You can't say it doesn't sell if people don't know a product exists.
This is very true. I only found out about u-he synths for Linux (and u-he at all for that matter) from a post by Dave Phillips in the Linux Audio mailing list where he mentioned Diva and Bazille I think. Two weeks later I got all of them. Or almost.

If Linux support was made official, and announced as such everywhre it has to be, then sales could be more dynamic. OvertoneDSP for one, as you have noticed, announces on the Linux Musicians web site.

Although only abique works on this, the work done is excellent as these synths are running extremely good. I have NO COMPLAINTS at all about using the synths and plugins. And certainly not any against u-he way of conducting business which is very nice.

I presume it's always possible to mess things up and if it becomes official then there will be customers with problems to handle but heck, those synths installs and runs very well for a start, how can someone mess it up so much on their systems ? :o

Return to “u-he”