VST2/3 plugins and CPU extensions usage

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I've got a rather technical question. Which cpu extension would a VST plugin for example Diva make use of? I know a lot of audio/video applications make use of the AVX or AVX2 cpu extensions.

The core of my questions is how would an Intel CPU with one 256bit AVX2 unit compare to the new AMD Ryzen CPUs using 2 units of 128bit. I have read that, even the AMD has two units of 128bit, it can only calculate one command per tick. So if the plugin makes use of 256bit AVX2 the new AMD cpus should only be at half the speed. Am I right?

Greetings,
smoothny

I think Diva is just using SSE2 and AVX. Not sure about AVX2.

EvilDragon wrote:I think Diva is just using SSE2 and AVX.
As far as i read, those are also the most used CPU extensions in soft synth plugins. Although only few developers really state what is being used.

Ok, maybe I was wrong about AVX2, maybe its the same for AVX.

This is what an article says about the Ryzen CPUs:
"The floating point unit is capable of performing two FMAC operations or a single 256-bit AVX operation per cycle."

I'm just wondering if the Ryzen cpus will outperform Intel CPUs not only with Cinebench R15 but with audio plugin performance too. Because 600$ for an 8 core cpu just sounds too good. :)

chk071 wrote:As far as i read, those are also the most used CPU extensions in soft synth plugins. Although only few developers really state what is being used.
the only one that I remember talking about these extensions is FXpansion Strobe2: AVX/AVX2

smoothny wrote:Ok, maybe I was wrong about AVX2, maybe its the same for AVX.

This is what an article says about the Ryzen CPUs:
"The floating point unit is capable of performing two FMAC operations or a single 256-bit AVX operation per cycle."

I'm just wondering if the Ryzen cpus will outperform Intel CPUs not only with Cinebench R15 but with audio plugin performance too. Because 600$ for an 8 core cpu just sounds too good. :)
Since nobody (practically) has such a system, it is quite difficult to rely on figures and specs only. Practical testing will show what they will bring, in terms of performance per dollar.

I would be wary of first party benchmarks, though... let's wait for Anandtech's reviews. :)

EvilDragon wrote:I would be wary of first party benchmarks, though... let's wait for Anandtech's reviews. :)
+1

I've run a few performance tests, and enabling AVX hasn't made much of a difference.

We use a lot of hand written SSE/SSE2 code which still has the best bang-for-bucks ratio (outcome for time and effort spent).

I'm toying with the idea of doing AVX for selected algorithms, specifically stereo versions of our analogue filter models. However, we haven't measured the benefit yet.

Hi Urs,

thanks for the information. So for the moment there is no advantage for Intel over AMD, but if the AVX unit for Ryzen really only does half the speed there would be an advantage for Intel in the future. :)

Greetings,
Sascha

Anyone else got some more info on this?

Do we know what products are utilizing these newer instruction sets?

Is it probable that more and more DAWs and VSTs will support AVX/AVX2/AVX512 as time goes by, or is it perhaps not enough to gain by implementing them?

Thanks!

Voxengo warmifier V2.2 uses AVX2 --> they say 29% lower cpu usage.... wow !!

Massive X requires AVX unfortunately for me :(

Return to “u-he”