Diva 2 Wishlist (purely hypothetical, nothing in development)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah, ok. The 2044 is in essence a 4-pole ladder filter in a chip, with just discrete capacitors soldered next to it.

It can sound super tame if used as directed (12V?), but afaik it sounds more characterful when run on 5V supplies (Korg did that for battery support IIRC).

ah! didn't know about the 5V/12V difference
good to know - thanks!

i find it very chacterful in my polysix
in german i would use the term "erdig"

Yeah. I was *very* disappointed by the sound of the 2044 in the Opera 6. I think it might be due to how the supply voltages are set up, or maybe they just didn't drive the filters well. I also find the Cat SRM II (2044) clinical in comparison to the first Cat (CA3080s) and the Cat SRM (2040).

2044 is absolutely not clinical on the PPG or Mono/Poly, tho, at least IMHO.

That said, CA3080 is really damn beefy... And 2040 is the stuff of dreams (rev2 Prophet, Voyetra...)

> rev2 Prophet

huh???
afaik the rev2 (as any dave smith mopho/prophet) has a curtis filter (CEM)

citing:
"The Prophet Rev2 gets its bold, punchy sound from its 2/4 pole, low-pass, resonant Curtis filters per voice"

https://www.sequential.com/product/prophetrev2/

imho quite different sound flavour

Urs wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:46 am I do believe though a reasonably close Polivoks filter emultion - if doable - would benefit Diva the most, along with a diode ladder and a non-Prophet Curtis based approach, for which I'd personally favour Synthex over Matrix.
I'm ready to pay in advance for Diva upgrade with Polivoks filter. :)

offtop:
By the way, there was another russian monster Altair-231. It is less known than Polivoks and it rarely appears on the market, but it sounds pretty interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U55B1f4n8wg

muki wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:57 pm > rev2 Prophet

huh???
afaik the rev2 (as any dave smith mopho/prophet) has a curtis filter (CEM)

citing:
"The Prophet Rev2 gets its bold, punchy sound from its 2/4 pole, low-pass, resonant Curtis filters per voice"

https://www.sequential.com/product/prophetrev2/

imho quite different sound flavour
I'm talking about Prophet-5, not the modern Rev-2 synth. P-5 Rev1/2 had SSM, Rev3 had CEM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEM_and_S ... nthesizers

ah yeah, i see...

Even though there were only a few hundred Prophet-5 Rev2 made, and even though their tuning hardly survived a song and even though each voice’ envelope would have its own idea about timing, all because of the older SSM chips, it became such a sought after antique, Dave Smith named a modern synth with CEM chips after it.

Yeah that's like putting salt on the wounds. :D

http://www.babic.com/SYN/p5r2.htm

I'd say all those inconsistencies make it sound like it's a living thing, tho. It does sound way sweeter than rev3 tho once you get it under control.

I think some greedy product managers (in the company where I work there are a lot of them) could quickly hack a Diva 2 version, that doesn't need much developer's work and that could generate some sales.Add/copy paste Repro's VCO+VCF, Bazille's clean digital VCO. Increase optional sound fidelity (more voices/unisons/oversampling settings?). Add more ADSR's and LFO's and freely drawable envelopes. Replace Diva's FX with Repro's/Bazille's FX. Add a small part of Satin FX. Maybe even enable two oscillator modules and two Filter modules (like Hive?). Most of it is integrating old code together (but maybe a lot of work for the GUI team?) and is not like the passionate craftmanship, for what u-he is known for. But other companies do new product versions with fewer changes.

I personally would pay for such an upgrade and would be happy to have a new toy (and finally have enough envelopes). If Diva and Repro users can get this upgrade with discount, that would interest many of the of NI Diva/Repro sales customers.

After this a really new Diva 3 could be slowly developed. But u-he is not a company to make such a snapshot.

Urs wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:49 pm Repro-5 has a 2-slot ModMatrix. It'll be souped up with our latest improvements (see Hive 2) with the next update. I reckon some time 2020.

I guess any V2 of Diva (which, I reiterate, at this point has not been announced, worked on or otherwise planned...) would have that too, since our latest ModMatrix includes all the modifiers found on Diva's corresponding page.
I'd love to see some features from Hive's sequencer in Repro 1. Such as greater control over the sequencer gate length or a modulation lane as the only way to modulate using the sequencer in Repro is to patch parameters to velocity.

Urs wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:49 pm Repro-5 has a 2-slot ModMatrix. It'll be souped up with our latest improvements (see Hive 2) with the next update. I reckon some time 2020.

I guess any V2 of Diva (which, I reiterate, at this point has not been announced, worked on or otherwise planned...) would have that too, since our latest ModMatrix includes all the modifiers found on Diva's corresponding page.
The 2 slot modmatrix is great, I just wish it had at least 8 slots or so. I love to map stuff to velocity and modwheel and 2 slots is just way too limiting for the things I want to do. (And yes, I think the real thing is also too limited, still considering getting a Prophet 6 but Im pretty sure I'll be annoyed at the limits)

Resonator in the effects section would be good. I assume that, should we ever get Diva 2, that would make it in there. A button or knob for general stereo width control to make the chorus's output mono would be handy for me, but probably not for many other people, so no biggie. Having to use a stereo expander to force Diva's chorus output to mono causes me to lose out on the nice stereo plate reverb is all. A distortion module option similar to what's in Re-Pro or Bazille in the HPF and effects section could be handy. Being able to set the lfos' restart to something like single shot where it would just go through the wave's cycle one time could be handy for use as an extra envelope or whatever since I've often (not that often, but, you know...) find myself wanting for another envelope while I still have one of the lfos free to use for whatever, no idea how feasible that is though.

Weirdest wish list thing I've thought about for Diva 2 is the oscillators + operator section from the Shruthi/Ambika. It would expand the sound palette quite dramatically for Diva while not actually competing with your modern wavetable synth Hive since it's such a lofi sound. And it's a synth that features a similar filter variety to Diva, depending on what ya choose to build. Handy for drum sounds, too. I know that's not something virtually anyone else would care about and is probably impossible because the code is under GPL, but I can dream! :P

Diva needs a noise oscillator. separate from oscillator bank

Return to “u-he”