MOD wheel & Ableton

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone, I've been able to record the MOD wheel actions from other plug-in's from the UI of the plugin itself, but for some reason, it's not working for me with Hive.

What I'm doing: While recording, I use the MOD wheel to change the voice by left-click-hold and move the MOD wheel using my mouse, Ableton doesn't seem to be recording the MIDI MOD information.

In all my other plug-in's, when I record, I can see the change in any parameter pop-up in Ableton. After that, I can do what ever edits I need to within the envelope, but for some reason, Hive doesn't by default, send that midi information to Ableton so I can record that action.

I tried to search for this, but haven't had much luck. Anyone know how can I fix this?

Thank you :)

Hi there,

the pitchbend and mod-wheel UI elements are not normal automation parameters.
That's why they are not being recorded as a normal automation envelope.
They also do not send any MIDI data to the host when you move them with the mouse (just like the the keyboard keys right next to them won't record any MIDI notes into the host when you click on them with the mouse).
You either have to record their movement by moving the physical mod-wheel/pitchbend on an external MIDI keyboard or you would have to manually create a MIDI automation envelope.

I have not much experience at all with Ableton Live, so I am not sure how to exactly record or create such a MIDI CC envelope.
But here is a link from the Ableton Live online manual: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/autom ... envelopes/

And here is a short video I found on Youtube about recording Pitchbend/Mod-Wheel in Live. It's from 2014, so probably not using the latest version of Live, but I guess the main workflow should be the same in the newest version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm6fzJfdKWE

I hope that helps a little.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

In case anyone is searching the internet for an actually helpful answer (like I did) and comes across this, Live 10 inexplicably *still* doesn't allow CC messages from a controller through the host (Live) to a plugin and capture that as automation in the arrangement view. All other major DAWs do this. It's just dumb.

Clip envelopes aren't a good solution because chances are you have small clips and want slow changes to occur across a longer time period. How you would have to set this up is to create a new MIDI clip (probably on a different track) that is the length of your change and then use clip envelopes. But this is less than ideal as now you have arrangement-style envelopes in two different places with two different workflows.

The only real solution is to use a Max4Live effect which captures your CC data from your controller and forwards them on to the plugin. You can now draw/edit the automation across time in the arrangement view. Unfortunately, Live 10 Suite doesn't have one of these as a standard effect that comes with suite. Even more dumb. And you're totally out of luck if you use the standard or intro/lite versions. The good news is there are a few of them out there. The one I like to use is found here: http://roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html. Thank you Monolake (and others) for putting this out there!

Return to “u-he”