Metheny sound with zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Zebra

Mcnoone's vision soundset is still available here:

http://www.u-he.com/PatchLib/zebra.html

Hi Mcnoone, could you mention the patch you used as a basis for your tweaks, since the file is unavailable? I got the Visions soundset, would it be "brass Trumpettos MW"? Sorry for bringing the old post back to life, there are not many posts of people trying to mimic Pat's sound with this great synth :)

allanfelipe wrote:Hi Mcnoone, could you mention the patch you used as a basis for your tweaks, since the file is unavailable? I got the Visions soundset, would it be "brass Trumpettos MW"? Sorry for bringing the old post back to life, there are not many posts of people trying to mimic Pat's sound with this great synth :)
I'll attach it here to a post later, as I have to go through the set to find it again, but I need to go to work now so no time atm.
Note that if you have Hive, I have a fairly decent emulation of that type of Metheny sound for it.
I should probably try to do the same thing in Zebra.

mcnoone wrote:
allanfelipe wrote:Hi Mcnoone, could you mention the patch you used as a basis for your tweaks, since the file is unavailable? I got the Visions soundset, would it be "brass Trumpettos MW"? Sorry for bringing the old post back to life, there are not many posts of people trying to mimic Pat's sound with this great synth :)
I'll attach it here to a post later, as I have to go through the set to find it again, but I need to go to work now so no time atm.
Note that if you have Hive, I have a fairly decent emulation of that type of Metheny sound for it.
I would love to have this sound for Hive and Zebra!

Metheny used other guitar synths too. In the mid-80s Metheny was using the Synclavier guitar live and in the studio. He and Lyle Mays shared the Synclavier on stage - with the keyboard controller used by Mays in certain tunes.

Feel free to call me Brian.

clangorous wrote:
mcnoone wrote:
I suppose the Zebra one I posted is included with the zip of metheny sounds bmrzycki archived above.
The better Metheny trumpet/sax sound I did is in the demo set of my latest soundset called One for Hive, which you can download from my site in my sig below. It's named "Pat"
If you buy the One soundset for Hive, it also contains a decent emulation of a classic Lyle Mays sound named "Mays".
Hope that helps.

Great, thanks! Unfortunately I do not own Hive, but I will check the zebra patches.

allanfelipe wrote:Great, thanks! Unfortunately I do not own Hive, but I will check the zebra patches.
I was replying to clangorous on that particular post.
I think this new Zebra one will do.
Try it out and let me know what you think.
Maybe try turning off the distortion module to hear a difference if it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mcnoone on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcnoone wrote:
clangorous wrote:
I suppose the Zebra one I posted is included with the zip of metheny sounds bmrzycki archived above.
The better Metheny trumpet/sax sound I did is in the demo set of my latest soundset called One for Hive, which you can download from my site in my sig below. It's named "Pat"
If you buy the One soundset for Hive, it also contains a decent emulation of a classic Lyle Mays sound named "Mays".
Hope that helps.
Thanks mcnoone! Don't want to hijack this thread just want to say I picked up your One soundset. Bought Hive less than 2 weeks ago and I'm spending a lot of time with it learning so your post was good timing.

Your soundset is excellent. I checked out the demo and it covers all types of music and has fantastic strings, horns, and tasty guitar, keyboard and electronic sounds...there's a lot and they are very expressive. In addition to having 150 new sounds to play, these will help me learn more about Hive I have no doubt about that. Really nice work.

clangorous wrote: Really nice work.
Thanks.
Glad that you liked them.

Hi, mcnoone, I think it's a little bit thin compared to Metheny sound. The patch Mono_Shfunk Brass Lead by 3ee, although still a bit raw, gets more to the point. However the "playability" of yours is much better. Well, there's already material for us to tweak and adapt :)

I am looking for this too. It should be easy to implement into any software synth, but Roland doesn't have it. There's that unmistakable "trumpet spit" or "attack" at the beginning of the note. If one reads Jonesses articles about it, it's happening right before the signal is interpreted as a osciallation. The pick noise is translated to a "trumpet like" attack. There's a slight "fart" and short att the beginning of each note. Which means this particular guitar nails the triggering just thanks to they are covering up the initial attack with a "pfft" that is dynamically sensible too. The rest, what happens after that attack, is bread and butter sawtooth and a heft amount of delay/reverb. As Pat usually recorded with ECM records they didn't held the reverb back on anyhting.

I've tried in vain to progam it with mainly most of the software out there (that have demo versions or tryouts) but to no avail. It is that short 10-15 ms beginning of the note, that has the characted everyone is after. I think it would be a major chore to do, because I don't think it lends itself to some easy programming. Otherwise someone would've done it by now already.

AFAIK Robert Fripp and Pat Metheny are the only ones still using GR-300. They have not replaced it by any modeller, or alternative hardware, or guitar synth. Robert Fripp got that "turkish trumpet sound" with his, and Pat did another "trumpet" version when he played it.

I wasn't terribly satisfied with what I found out there, so did some research and created my own version of Pat's "birds from Mars" tone (wish I could remember where I read that term). My patch is attached -- change the extension from .zip to .h2p after downloading.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Enough Spyro Gyra and you're hoping you'll be killed in a knife fight."
-- Chris in the morning

I don't have Zebra but I made some GR-300 patches in Bitwig's Grid. So if you have Bitwig they are here: https://bitwiggers.com/presets/?name=gr ... stom_tags=
Win 11 | Linnstrument | Bitwig | MOTU Digital Performer | Kurzweil K2000R | Roland JV-1080 | Roland JV-2080 | Roland GR-50 | Doepfer Dark Energy | Xfer Serum | UVI Falcon | u-he | iZotope | Arturia | Synapse Audio

Return to “u-he”