Absolute Zebra: SoundSet for Zebra2

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Went through most of the patches yesterday afternoon. There is a lot to love in this collection, from the Pads to the Keys and everything between. Really well done Ed! :tu: :tu: Thanks - - -

Joe

+1

Just bought these and played through them. Excellent, inspirational work.

Mitch I.

I just tried the demos, don't be upset but I always disable Native FX, exchange mod wh for Breath and tweak AFT to my custom AFT Tables and the patches sound full, so thanks and I anxiously await the email link.

Cheerz

Oh yeah, these are nice.
FWIW I always disable the Native FX and use hardware since Zebra 2 HZ x 2 is my go to live synth inside the PC.
The patches are punchier and don't have that behind the speaker cone sound.
Z2 HZ x 2 replaced 2 x SE-1Xs, can't replace Solaris, but sure is a great partner live.

Cheerz and thanks again for these FAT BASTARDS.

Awesome sounds, great demo's.......bought!
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Gosh wrote:i`m fascinated. this is one of the best soundsets for zebra and turns it into a ppg wave, a roland jd800, a roland jv-synth, a waldorf wave , a dx7 etc. thrown in are some nice emulations of acoustic intruments like guitar, bass and brass and some of the most realistic choirs i have heard from a pure synth. especially tangerine dream fans who love the ppg wave dominated period during the 80s will love this soundset. highly recommended (and now back to playing).
:o :tu: and a big :hug:
Thanks Gosh :)
80s TD is one of my favorite eras, so I'm not surprised that influence might have crept in...
jdoo wrote:Went through most of the patches yesterday afternoon. There is a lot to love in this collection, from the Pads to the Keys and everything between. Really well done Ed! :tu: :tu: Thanks - - -

Joe
Thanks Joe... And many thanks to the others that have bought the set - Your support is much appreciated :hug:

These patches were the result of about 12 months of work.
Sadly, I find sound creation much easier than writing demos (I have little or no musical talent :roll:), so those took another 6 months!

Ed

EdHarvey,
Just tried the freebies: very impressive! On the EH Sync Lead, I made it legato, added glide 1 & 2 settings, liked it even better. :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Dug in deeper as I was occupied until yesterday.
You have a new customer for anything you create.
It's not so much the technical prowess but the idea of sound combinations that I found most rewarding.
Best use of Resonance I have experienced so far in Zebra.
I HZ'd around 13 presets and will add some Diva Filters and see what I can come up with.

tHANKS aGAIN

diaper@ky wrote:Best use of Resonance I have experienced so far in Zebra.
Thanks diaper@ky, I'm glad you're enjoying them...

Oh yes, I do love to use resonance :)
aaron aardvark wrote:Just tried the freebies: very impressive! On the EH Sync Lead, I made it legato, added glide 1 & 2 settings, liked it even better. :)
Thanks Aaron :D

Yeah, it's always worth the effort to try using different voice modes and glide settings, especially on lead sounds; The change in the sound (and playing 'feel') can be quite dramatic :)

Ed

Had some fun playing with the sounds and ended up with a new demo - a cover of Tangerine Dream's classic track from the Risky Business OST...

https://soundcloud.com/auralscience/lov ... real-train

Hope you enjoy :)

Ed

Amazing stuff, Ed. :tu:

EdHarvey,
Your "Real Train" gave me goosebumps. I downloaded that puppy.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

EdHarvey wrote:Had some fun playing with the sounds and ended up with a new demo - a cover of Tangerine Dream's classic track from the Risky Business OST...

Hope you enjoy :)

Ed
Wow! I need to buy your patch set - (sooner than Soon(tm) :P )!
The demos you provided us, alone, are fantastic! :tu:

I'm guessing you're an Alan Zavod fan, also (Jean Luc Ponty's KB player)?

This is what I need to learn: sublety!

So many synths - you have to tweak the envelops/modulations near the 'limits' before they sound "alive."
With Zebra2 - just a 'dash' of MSEG on the detune/wav/(insert-fav-routing) is enough!

I can't tell you how many Zebra2 patches I've "ruined" by going 'blatant' (Zawinul) instead of 'subtle' (Zavod, TD, et al).

This is why you dozen, dozen-and-a-half "masters" who regularly contribute/sell patches are so good at it, I think.

I've created a lot of patches in my time. I have my work cut out for me, here.

And sometimes I think that <insert most other synths> are an 8.5x11" canvas.
And Zebra2 (and many other fine u-he products) are the outside wall of a stadium - as to the surface to 'paint' on!

DynaMoHum wrote:I'm guessing you're an Alan Zavod fan, also (Jean Luc Ponty's KB player)?
Not just JLP's - he also played with Zappa, Clapton, Glenn Millar Orchestra, Cab Calloway, George Benson and a bunch of others... and he was a Professor at the Berklee school of Music.

He is a brilliant jazz pianist - I'd give my right arm to be able to play as well as him (? :hihi: ) - but not really my general taste in music. Like many jazz pianists he is prone to 'over-cooking' stuff and letting the virtuosity overwhelm the music; he is almost too good to be a band player!
Having said that, I saw him play at a jazz club in Melbourne a few years ago and it was awesome
This is what I need to learn: sublety!
less is more... (except when more is more ;) )
And sometimes I think that <insert most other synths> are an 8.5x11" canvas.
And Zebra2 (and many other fine u-he products) are the outside wall of a stadium - as to the surface to 'paint' on!
Which can be a problem... I find I need to use a lot discipline to keep stuff a simple as possible; otherwise one can end up with a giant spaghetti ball of modules for no real gain.

Zebra has a huge learning curve because of all the options - for example there are dozens of filters and then the XMF filters with literally hundreds of permutations.

This means that, like a 'real' instrument, one needs to expend time and effort to really get the best from it.

Howard's presets are a brilliant tool for learning. There are 450+ examples of great simple programming; pick a preset you like and just gently (ie less than ±4 at a time) tweak individual things like filter cutoffs/resonance/keyscale (or change the filter type) and see how they affect the sound. Often even small changes can significantly change the character or playability of a sound....

Ed

Return to “u-he”