Sidechaining: Calling the community for help!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zvenx wrote:Whereas in the format we wouldn't mention it is one click, one assign, and one send level.
rsp
Right: a few secs versus the previous recipes. Actually, you can also feed the sidechain signal from different source tracks. You can get some sophisticated automixing using sidechains. Although a simple gain cell that just tracks total gain fed to the sidechain seems to be an elusive beast (I don't see why... :shrug: ), this can be done to some degree with an upward compressor or a slow gate. But setting up something convoluted using the "Quadro" track workaround is just ridiculous.

zvenx wrote:Whereas in the format we wouldn't mention it is one click, one assign, and one send level.
Yeah, but in Reaper is just a simple drag and drop, so it's even faster - and it doesn't require VST3 at all :P

maybe i´m misunderstanding something here but this is very easily done in

Renoise:

add a signal follower to your source signal track
send the signal follower output to presswerk on the other track and pick a parameter.

voila.
https://sepix.net/

DJ and Music Maker. Unconventional Electronic Music. Braindance. Breakcore.

MFXxx wrote:This is somethign that is frustrating in Cubase and only implemented with VST3 versions.
Compyfox wrote:Again, the fun fact is that all other companies do offer native sidechaining with VST2. Yet CubEndo insists on VST3.
It's become painfully obvious that Steinberg chose to implement easy sidechaining in VST3 to strong arm VST3 implementation. If they hadn't there would likely have been even more resistance to it and would have slowed down its implementation even more. I took a very quick look at the VST3 SDK at one point and found it odd they didn't provide code for a test host, unlike the 2.4 SDK. To me that's very telling. And we, the customers, pay the price for this political BS.

Very sorry for the OT....

Yeah, Cubase VST2 sidechaining is a joke. VST3 is simple, but it is send based instead of input based, so you can still easily run out of sends and have to do convoluted routings to do something that should be simple.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

In Sonar the plugin has to report more Inputs than the number of channels it uses to process the signal. When you then turn on SC mode, the SC inputs show up in the sends destinations of other channels. Very similar to the Cubase VST3 method, but doesn't require VST3 .. just a SC enablement.

SJ_Digriz wrote:Yeah, Cubase VST2 sidechaining is a joke. VST3 is simple, but it is send based instead of input based, so you can still easily run out of sends and have to do convoluted routings to do something that should be simple.
If I'm reading you correctly, I didn't know this but I think I may have experienced it. Would you know what the maximum number of inputs assignable to a VST3 sidechain input is? It's not in the Op manual.

Breeze wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Yeah, Cubase VST2 sidechaining is a joke. VST3 is simple, but it is send based instead of input based, so you can still easily run out of sends and have to do convoluted routings to do something that should be simple.
If I'm reading you correctly, I didn't know this but I think I may have experienced it. Would you know what the maximum number of inputs assignable to a VST3 sidechain input is? It's not in the Op manual.
I have no idea how many times you can use the exposed input. I've sent 3 or 4 without issue. I just know that if you have a particular track (like a kick), that you want to send as the carrier you can run out of sends fast. Especially if you are also sending to FX and other Group function tracks already.

Obviously you can use group tracks to extend the number of sends. I just always wanted the opposite behavior. Let me drop down an outputs list on the SC plugin and enable the channels I want to listen to.

There is hope for VST4. :roll:

*cough* *cough*
Okay, I think this was a bit too much...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Sidechaining Presswerk in Five12's Numerology 3
In one stack, create a sequencer (I’m using a MonoNote), your sound source (in this case I’m using a demo of Diva) and Presswork.

Click on the Routing tab at the top.

If it didn’t auto wire, connect the MIDI Out of the MonoNote (or whatever you are using) to the MIDI In of Diva. Connect the Audio Out 1 of DIVA to the Audio In of Presswerk as shown.

Now we’re going to create the sound that controls the side chain.

I’m using a Drum Kit (in the Audio Synths folder) as well as a DrumSeq (in the Note Sequencers) I’ve loaded it with a random Kick drum into the first pad.

Connect the MIDI Out of the DrumSeq to the MIDI In of the DrumKit. Now disconnect any of the Audio Outs of the Drum Kit (Main Out, Out 1, Out 2 etc) Take the Out 1 from the Drum Kit and wire it to Audio In 2 (s) of Presswerk. Highlighted in red.

Done. As with everything in Numerology, there are typically several ways to do things and I wouldn't be surprised if there was other ways to accomplish this same task.

Hi,

just installed the public beta and will check the AAX plugin in Pro Tools 11.2.1 ASAP.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Just started checking in the AAX plugin in Pro Tools 11.2.1 (at Windows 7 64-bit).

Basically the trick with sidechaining in Pro Tools seems to be to assign a free bus at the plugin (at the drop-down next to the key symbol) and use that bus at a Send in the other track (and move up the new fader for the Send) which seems to work fine with the built-in Compressor in Pro Tools.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNXhlThv-A

The Problem with the Presswerk AAX plugin is that i could not move most of the knobs in the GUI, including those for the sidechaining. All buttons are working. With the VST plugin all knobs seem to work here.

UPDATE:
The knobs seem to work in the new update for the AAX.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Synapse Audio Orion

1. insert synth, say a pad sound
2. insert presswerk into synth channel INSERT slot
3. insert sidechain instrument, say a kick drum
4. from presswerk wrapper select 'sidechain input'
5. turn down volume of sidechain if its only being used as a trigger :wink:

done

no idea how presswerk works, ive only used it for the benefit of this thread...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sidechaining in Plogue Bidule
  • insert synth to be side chained, Presswerk (2 ins 2 outs) and wire them together with the synth going to the first two ins of Presswerk and to the midi in and mixer
  • insert the sidechain input (in this case, a simple Analog Drum and a Step Sequencer)
  • drag a wire from the output of Analog Drum to the third input of Presswerk
  • turn up the Int:Ext in the Sidechain section of Presswerk

Here's how to to sidechain compression in Samplitude & Sequoia (version 11 & Pro X (12)). Very easy, actually:

First, you need the key track. I'm using drums, on track 1, and going to 'duck' a Diva pad sound on a track 2:

On track 2, an instance of Presswerk gets inserted (as seen in the track & editor/inspector view):

Now open the Presswerk window. Any plugin having a sidechain will have a 'Sidechain Input' entry in the top dialog bar. Just tick 'Sidechain In' to activate it. Since any combination of available tracks can be sent to the plugin, just tick the ones you need. In this case, only track 1 (drums):

Finally, set up the Int:Ext balance on Presswerk's sidechain as required.

That's it.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

Return to “u-he”