Sidechaining: Calling the community for help!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Actually, nope... I'm just thinking "German", and I'm using C7.x

The other variant would be with crazy surround panning and all that nonsense. I'd rather not touch that topic - too complicated.

This trick works since SX3 btw.

Again:
The old trick in Cubase is as following:

- Create a QUAD group (group channel, quadrophonic setting, read: 4 channels)
- then open the "VST Connections" window, select the "Group Tap" (Group/FX), browse to the QUAD group you just created
- add "stereo subgroups" (add "child busses")
- close the window, load an instance of your sidechain compressor into the QUAD group
- send the "sidechain signal" from the channel of your choice (i.e. Kick) to the QUAD group's Input 3+4 (child)
- forward the signal to be processed (compressed), i.e. Pads, to the QUAD group's input 1+2
- now, the Plugin loaded in the QUAD Group should now recognize the first two inputs as "signal to be processes", while the second two channels is the "control signal" (the send signal).

Visually shown in these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHfN9yeuoew

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDY5LEkPCcE

Like I said... working since SX3. And basically the same that you posted, only that I create the "Quadro Group" in the arranger, not in VST Connections.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Wow, that is really fcuking convoluted in Cubase. O.o;

Here's a 6 step tutorial showing how to set up sidechain compression with Presswerk in FL Studio 11 :tu:

updated: take a look at step 6, if anything other than Int:Ext is highlighted in red than you should update. :P
https://app.box.com/s/s6qm6woymod9r6iyclq4
Last edited by 3ee on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

This is somethign that is frustrating in Cubase and only implemented with VST3 versions.

I am surprised there's never been a plugin vst2 to vst3 convertor to simply implement sidechain for effects instruments (aka Access Virus).

Cubase should have implemented this years ago, however sued to the set up and doesnt take long when needed.

Builkt into NI Maschines, and works so well.

(Is it any wonder I keep asking for VST3 sidechaining? It's pretty much the most important thing about VST3 I really care about. :shrug:)

This is pretty much the ONLY REASON to go VST3.

Granted, the "unload from RAM if no signal is applied" thing is a good thing (which is an own can of worms, if you have sudden bursts of signals - and then you rig goes down!). But NoteExpression v2 - who really uses that feature? Even after all these years?

Again, the fun fact is that all other companies do offer native sidechaining with VST2. Yet CubEndo insists on VST3.

EvilDragon wrote:Wow, that is really fcuking convoluted in Cubase. O.o;
In theory, you could create makros.
Never dived into that to be honest, as I barely use side chaining (compression).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hi there!

Here is the process in Digital Performer 8 :

- Add Presswerk on the track you want to sidechain

- In the Presswerk window, select a new mono/stereo bus inside the Side Chain menu
- Select the chosen bus in the Send menu inside the track you want to use as a Side Chain signal
- Adjust the compressor and SC parameters in Presswerk

I hope it helps!
Cheers to everyone and thanks for the good advices and readings in the forum! :tu:

Studio One:

Step 1: Add Presswerk as an Insert effect on the target mixer channel
Step1.PNG
Step 2: On the sidechain source-channel, add a Send by clicking on the plus-symbol. All possible side-chain
targets are listed under "Sidechains". Select the desired one.
Step2.PNG
Done!
Done.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In Studio One v2 in Windows.
  • Click the plus icon in the "Sends" part of the mixer, on the channel you want to use for sidechaning.
  • Navigate to the "Sidechains" fold-out which will show you all the available sidechain inputs.
  • Select the Presswerk instance (or any other plug-in).
  • Optional: Adjust send level (use Ctrl + left-click to set it to 0).
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

Step 1 Insert Presswerk

Step 2 Enable Sidechain on Presswork

Step 3 route a send signal to the side-chain channel

Well you certainly have Studio One covered now, haha!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Hah, 3 in a row... Hattrick! =)

Also Aiynzahev, you don't have to enable sidechain in the plug-in, like you do in step 2. At least for me that happens automatically when your create the routing in step 3.
I make music like I play Tekken; randomly push buttons and hope for something good to happen.

Ok, we now have Studio One! What is missing...

Reason...heh. I COULD do it with a Rewire tutorial. I use that feature all of the time!

Jon
Last edited by JonSolo on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deleted

TBAAV wrote:Hah, 3 in a row... Hattrick! =)

Also Aiynzahev, you don't have to enable sidechain in the plug-in, like you do in step 2. At least for me that happens automatically when your create the routing in step 3.
Ooh. Neat.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

EvilDragon wrote:Wow, that is really fcuking convoluted in Cubase. O.o;
lol
Finally!!!!! you see the cause of my angst.

Whereas in the format we wouldn't mention it is one click, one assign, and one send level.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “u-he”