Sidechaining: Calling the community for help!

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi gang,

We need your help!

We would appreciate if you could tell us how to set up external side chaining with Presswerk in your host of choice. It would be great if you could post maybe three to five bullet points to this thread, if possible accompanied by good quality screenshots.

We would then like to collect this information and compile a reference page for Presswerk... and maybe for more plug-ins to come.

We can reward with eternal gratitude. Or something. We'll see ;-)

Cheers,

- Urs

What we have so far:
Reaper
Bitwig
Logic X
Abelton Live 9
Cubase SX3 to 5.0 (?)
Cubase 6 to 7.5
FL Studio 11
Digital Performer 8

What we don't have yet:
everything else

Reaper:

* Open the Presswerk instance on the track you want to sidechain
* Locate the I/O button of the track you want to use as a sidechain signal
* Drag&drop the I/O button onto the Presswerk GUI and close the routing window - that's all it takes!

I can post screenshots a bit later, but it's really probably better explained in a video... like this one here http://reaperblog.net/2013/01/video-two ... in-reaper/

EvilDragon wrote:I can post screenshots a bit later, but it's really probably better explained in a video...
Thanks Evil One, but probably not necessary :-). If I can follow your instructions, I will make screenshots myself.
Last edited by Howard on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitwig: (version 1.1 Release Cantidate 1 (RC1). Not the final 1.1 version yet but I think it won't change till then.)

(1. Open the Presswerk instance on the track you want to sidechain)
2. Open the Bitwig device panel
3. Click on the little arrow of the Presswerk device:
Presswerk Sidechain 1.jpg
4. Select the Sidechain source.
Presswerk Sidechain 2.jpg
5. Done ;)

EDIT: Step one doesn't make any sense. Of course you don't have to open the plugin UI for sidechaining ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by u-u-u on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks u-u-u :-)

Logic X

1. Open the Presswerk interface on the track you want to side chain.

2. Above the Presswerk interface, there will be a black window border. At the upper right of the border you'll see Side Chain: with a drop down menu beside it. Like this:
presswerk in logic.jpg
3. Select an input, bus or audio channel for the sidechain input.

4. Set Sidechain to Ext at the bottom of the Presswerk interface.

Done!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I think Cubase requires it setup in VST3. The sidechain link does not appear at the top of the VST2 of Presswerk. It can be done is some lengthy convoluted manner using Group tracks, I suppose.

Ableton Live 9, 32 bit:

* the Presswerk instance sits on the track you want to sidechain (Track 1)
* Use the following settings for the track you want to use as a sidechain signal (Track 2):
- Audio To:
=> Track 1
=> External Sidechain-Presswerk (in box below)

thejonsolo wrote:I think Cubase requires it setup in VST3. The sidechain link does not appear at the top of the VST2 of Presswerk. It can be done is some lengthy convoluted manner using Group tracks, I suppose.
There's something about a quadro mixer… so I've heard. It's toughy, but a recipe for this would be most welcomed...

Urs wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:I think Cubase requires it setup in VST3. The sidechain link does not appear at the top of the VST2 of Presswerk. It can be done is some lengthy convoluted manner using Group tracks, I suppose.
There's something about a quadro mixer… so I've heard. It's toughy, but a recipe for this would be most welcomed...
Ok working on it now.

thejonsolo wrote:
Urs wrote:
Ok working on it now.
The old trick in Cubase is as following:

- Create a QUAD group
- then open the "VST Connections", select the "Group Tap", browse to the QUAD group you just created
- add "stereo subgroups"
- close the window, load an instance of your sidechain compressor into the QUAD group
- send the "sidechain signal" from the channel of your choice to the QUAD group's Input 3+4.
- forward the signal to be processed (compressed) to the QUAD group's input 1+2
- now, the Plugin loaded in the QUAD Group should now recognize the first two inputs as "signal to be processes", while the second two channels is the "control signal" (the send signal).

While this is a hasle to set up, this is currently the only solution to create a VST2 sidechain setup. The plugin needs to support that however.

So... if there would be a non VST3 sidechain mode, I'd propose the following:

A button set on the GUI's (normal and classic ones), where you can set which channel(s) are the "listen (sidechain)" bus, and which the "signal" bus. Or else, a small routing matrix on the GUI, so that people know where to route what.

For simplicity however, if you want to use PRESSWERK as "mono Sidechain Compressor", then the signal to be processed shall be on L, while the sidechain signal shall be on R. No quad channel. The PRESSWERK GUI then only needs a mode button that says "sidechain mode" that then picks up from R, or from channel 3+4 (if used as stereo compressor and on a QUAD group).

Sadly, Steinberg goes the most inflexible BS route on this and insists on VST3, while all other host developes can easily(!) pull off sidechain compression with VST2. The SDK allows it, only CubEndo doesn't interpret it. And let's not(!) talk about Wavelab.

Another possible solution to create "sidechaining" might be creating a "send module" (separate VST plugin), that connects to PRESSWERK's Sidechain Input. Granted, you will loose out a VST plugin slot for this, but it worked for another sidechain compressor from like 5-10 years ago. And if U-HE refuses to go VST3 (due to reasons), and the QUAD Group route is inflexible - this is the only idiot-proof solution IMO.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Ok here goes...with success-

Cubase 7.5 (and earlier back to at least 4 I believe)

-In the Cubase project you are working on open the Devices menu and choose VST Connections
-In the VST Connections window choose Add Group
-Under the popup choose More under Configurations and select Quadro
1.jpg
-From the new Group you have created, right click and Add Child Bus to your Group and choose Stereo
2.jpg
- Do this again except when you Add Child Bus you want to choose Stereo (Ls Rs)
3.jpg

To be continued...

Cubase continued-

-Go to the channel settings for the Group you just created and add Presswerk as an Insert effect
4.jpg
-Create a Send on the channel you want to affect the sidechain (i.e. Kick drum) and send to the Group channel Stereo Ls Rs. Select it is a PRE send if you do not want the volume level to affect your sidechain
5.jpg
-Now Route the Output of track you wish to process (i.e. a pad) to the Group Stereo output.

With this you can use sidechain compression and automate or change the volume and effects on track you used to affect the sidechain without changing the effects on the track processed by the sidechain.

It is a bit long and tricky, but I just used it with a kick and pad and it worked properly and came fairly easy. After the first try, you can do it in under a minute.

See my post above - only that your tutorial is with pictures. :tu:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:See my post above - only that your tutorial is with pictures. :tu:
And also anyone coming in later than Cubase 5 would not understand your post...the terms and setup has changed. So yours is pre 5.4 and mine 6 and up... :tu:

Return to “u-he”