Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use wine-staging in linux, and the windows version of Reaper 5.70 to host windows Repro 5, no gui lag or other issues that I've noticed, and using Tantra multi-effects with the
great Repro sound is a delight. Using the linux version of reaper
with the linux Repro 5 is almost as good, just a momentary hesitation on the first action in the separate parts of the gui, like the first knob turn, the first preset selection, then the first knob turn
lags _again_ etc

( I realize Reaper is teh devil-daw to most linux users :hihi: )

kapsap wrote:So, is my impression correct that Repro is currently mainly (*) unusable on Linux?
The earlier version works fine (at least on my system). As far as I understand it's the new builds that are problematic.

kapsap wrote:So, is my impression correct that Repro is currently mainly (*) unusable on Linux? At least it is for me using Ardour, Mixbus, Carla, Qtractor. I'm rather dissapointed.

(*) Mainly for me means that at least oone of the following affects my using Repro: 1) GUI unresponsive, or 2) Crashes whenever I try to save anything.
Looks like it will depend what OS you are using. I did not have any of those problems with Linux Mint 18 and Bitwig 2.x and 2.3 nowadays. The UI is responsive in Bitwig 2.3. There was some lag in 2.x, but nothing preventing using Repro. I'm currently using version 6821 since it works well and since later versions were made for testing purposes. I'll update the version at some point in time when all testing is done and everyone agrees.

glokraw wrote:( I realize Reaper is teh devil-daw to most linux users :hihi: )
He he, would be hard to qualify something not known at all as 'devil'. Like saying ETs are devil w/o ever having seen one. Contrary to eventually what ETs will do, Reaper will not invite itself spontaneously in my OS, and being contented with the tools I have, with lots of exploration to be done using then, I do not regret missing on interdimensional travel, teletransportation, magnetic levitation, and other fancy things. :wink:

Hell yeah. This linux topic is getting one of the most important in the forum. Nearly 100 pages!!!

mevla wrote: Looks like it will depend what OS you are using. I did not have any of those problems with Linux Mint 18 and Bitwig 2.x and 2.3 nowadays. The UI is responsive in Bitwig 2.3.
Doesn't seem to depend so much on the distro but more so on the DAW in use: The new builds seem to be Bitwig 2.3 (and maybe Reaper) plugins - not generic Linux VSTs...

Indeed I'm afraid kapsap you are bound to older builds, newer ones are alpha/beta quality for now.

I just checked a few U-he gui in Reaper/Mint 18 linux,
with nvidia pcie video card.

Hive OK
Diva OK
Zebra2 OK
Tyrell N6 OK
Podolski OK

ACE: lag on first gui operation, first preset change,
then lags again on first gui operation

Zebra2 new 2.8 beta: lag on first gui operation, first preset change,
then lags again on first gui operation

I see an interesting difference between Repro 5 and Repro 1:
Repro 5 gui doesn't lag after changing presets,
but Repro 1 gui does lag, and the lag seems like 3 times longer
than the lag on ACE and Zebra 2.8

I don't think all the gui's are coded by the same people,
if that is the case, maybe get them all together in the guise
of an office party/reunion, wait til everybody
loosens up, and compare notes?
Cheers

Hi!

The u-he menus do not work on my Kubuntu 17.10 host, so I tried ejgallego's tip at page 92, but it did not work for me. The reason is probably that the file, "dialog" is missing for several of the u-he plugins.

I did however manage to fix it by setting "GDK_BACKEND=x11" for the plugin hosts and here I use Mixbus32C as an example. What I did was to prepend "GDK_BACKEND=x11" to Mixbus32C's exec command in the desktop file like this:
  1. Open the desktop file "~/Desktop/Mixbus32C_4.3.19.desktop" and find the line that start with "Exec="
  2. Prepend "GDK_BACKEND=x11" to the command "/opt/Mixbus32C-4.3.19/bin/mixbus32c4" so the line looks like this:
        Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=x11 /opt/Mixbus32C-4.3.19/bin/mixbus32c4    
  3. Now, start Mixbus (or the host of your choice) by clicking the desktop file.
I tested this for Mixbus, Ardour and Carla also and it works there as well, just change the relevant desktop file(s). Good luck!

Jostein

The VST2 and VST3 Windows version of Zebra 2.8 listed in the first post of:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=496878

seem to work fine using Airwave from git and 64bit Wine under Qtractor and Carla (VST2 in particular). I'd still rather have a proper Linux build. Airwave can be found at the next link. There's an AUR package for Archers.

https://github.com/phantom-code/airwave

Ardour didn't see the VST2 plugin and I haven't investigated yet.

Either me or Ardour was confused about having both the Linux and Windows VST2 plug-ins in the same folder. No matter, Ardour works as well.
Last edited by skottish on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bump to get my fifth post so the forum stops yelling at me (need five posts for links to function properly).

josander wrote: The u-he menus do not work on my Kubuntu 17.10 host, so I tried ejgallego's tip at page 92, but it did not work for me. The reason is probably that the file, "dialog" is missing for several of the u-he plugins.

I did however manage to fix it by setting "GDK_BACKEND=x11" for the plugin hosts and here I use Mixbus32C as an example. What I did was to prepend "GDK_BACKEND=x11" to Mixbus32C's exec command in the desktop file like this:
  1. Open the desktop file "~/Desktop/Mixbus32C_4.3.19.desktop" and find the line that start with "Exec="
  2. Prepend "GDK_BACKEND=x11" to the command "/opt/Mixbus32C-4.3.19/bin/mixbus32c4" so the line looks like this:
        Exec=env GDK_BACKEND=x11 /opt/Mixbus32C-4.3.19/bin/mixbus32c4    
  3. Now, start Mixbus (or the host of your choice) by clicking the desktop file.
I tested this for Mixbus, Ardour and Carla also and it works there as well, just change the relevant desktop file(s). Good luck!

Maybe the file is called `dialog.64`? I dunno, but for sure you have a dialog file for each plugin.

I am not sure Ubuntu will fix the problem and remove libmir for Bionic, which is bound to be a LTS release, so IMHO the U-HE build could be fixed as not to prefer the MIR backend. [It should be pretty simple I think.

ejgallego wrote: Maybe the file is called `dialog.64`? I dunno, but for sure you have a dialog file for each plugin.
True, but dialog.32 and dialog.64 are binary files. The bash dialog script only appears for Repro on my fresh installed system while Diva, Presswerk and Uhbik does not have it. But maybe I can insert dialog for the other plugins? I do not have time to test that now, but thank you very much for the tip. Everything works fine here thanks to your point to setting the environment variable.

So I tested out the Repro 6824 and 6715 build in the new Bitwig 2.3. But I still have input lags when turning knob using the keyboard or switching presets. Everything very slow here.

josander wrote: True, but dialog.32 and dialog.64 are binary files. The bash dialog script only appears for Repro on my fresh installed system while Diva, Presswerk and Uhbik does not have it. But maybe I can insert dialog for the other plugins? I do not have time to test that now, but thank you very much for the tip. Everything works fine here thanks to your point to setting the environment variable.
Ah, I guess older builds don't have the script so the workaround for that was to rename and create a wrapper [way back on this thread mess]

We should open a wiki page we all can edit XD Any suggestions for hosting it?

Return to “u-he”