Linux public beta (4408)

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

David Else wrote: PS sorry to add bad news, the VST3 version crashed Reaper as soon as I pressed the 'x' close window button on the floated version.
This one is 1000% REAPER's fault, fixing for 5.71rc2+.

Welcome to KVR! I've got a session with Zebra2, Hive, ACE, R1, and R5,
in the linux version of Reaper (a little older than the newest release,
the 60 day demo of which can be found at landoleetdotorg.
Some vst related items in Carla that used to be defaults,
were made options, maybe there are things to turn on/off
that will help?

In brief testing so far, there is still a lag the first time part of the plugins gui is invoked,
and then things get up to speed.

Thanks to Abique and Justin and anyone else contributing, great sounds
even when throwing darts for a test session! :hyper:

glokraw wrote:Welcome to KVR! I've got a session with Zebra2, Hive, ACE, R1, and R5,
in the linux version of Reaper (a little older than the newest release,
the 60 day demo of which can be found at landoleetdotorg.
Some vst related items in Carla that used to be defaults,
were made options, maybe there are things to turn on/off
that will help?
Saving patches in Zebra2 7015 under Reaper does work without crashing the host. Reaper is really a non-option for me though. Hopefully this can be addressed so that things work under Ardour.

skottish wrote: Reaper is really a non-option for me though.
The gist of Linux philosophy, is finding and using options.
The Reaper philosophy is to achieve excellence, and make it
affordable. Seems an excellent match, which I've enjoyed for
many years. Mixbus 4.3 is out, I'll try that in a few days, 4.2
crashed the U-he synths when I tried to save a preset...
Cheers

WARNING: the build 7015 have a few showstopper bugs. It is to test the GUI only.

lunardigs wrote:Sometimes--and I have not looked too deeply into this, as I've been pretty busy--multiple instances of any given 'new preset browser enhanced build' will result in the preset database not being shared between all instances.
Does this make sense?
Yes, makes sense. :wink:
This is a known issue, and we are already working on it.

glokraw wrote:The gist of Linux philosophy, is finding and using options. The Reaper philosophy is to achieve excellence, and make it affordable. Seems an excellent match, which I've enjoyed for many years. Mixbus 4.3 is out, I'll try that in a few days, 4.2 crashed the U-he synths when I tried to save a preset... Cheers
I'm not sure if there's a DAW out there that's not aimed as attaining excellence. Or just about any product for that matter. This said I do not use Mixbus32C for synths. I only use it for mixing. All the music creation goes on with Bitwig. However, I just tried saving a Diva preset and it works all right. What I don't like is that the UI cannot be resized. Linux Mint 18, latest Mixbus32C (gcc5 build), stable Diva build from at least a year ago (probably the one at the top of this thread).

You certainly know Mixbus already. It is not a transparent DAW. If your goal is digital transparency, then that's not the DAW to use. When importing tracks into Mixbus32C for mixing more often than not the tracks sounds good w/o having much to do. Of course, a proper gain staging has to be done, balancing and such, but the gist of it sounds good from the start. "More often than not" because after all it depends also on the state of the imported tracks.

Cheers.

A happy discovery is that this Reaper fix is indeed also a Qtractor fix. :)
Now it shows GUIs instead of grey windows (I tested the Repros and Zebra). Hooray! 8)

Still the GUI has so much lag that it's frustrating to work with, but this is really going the right direction.
More lag in Zebra than Repros, it seems.

Thank you so much for fixing and developing!

abique wrote:WARNING: the build 7015 have a few showstopper bugs. It is to test the GUI only.
So I won't be installing all of them :)

I can confirm that with Ace 7015 both vst2 & vst3 display a gui in reaper for linux now (archlinux). The vst2 version has the laggy gui mentioned by others (both in reaper and ardour5), while the vst3 seems to respond correctly.
Last edited by Jack Winter on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorry, duplicate post instead of edit.. :D

Vst2 would need a similar interface as Vst3 so the host can do FD polling for the plugin.

I'll try to contact somebody at steinberg to see if we could backport the polling interface to vst2.

abique wrote:Vst2 would need a similar interface as Vst3 so the host can do FD polling for the plugin.

I'll try to contact somebody at steinberg to see if we could backport the polling interface to vst2.
You could also use effEditIdle or effIdle to poll yourself...

deadbeef wrote:
abique wrote:Vst2 would need a similar interface as Vst3 so the host can do FD polling for the plugin.

You could also use effEditIdle or effIdle to poll yourself...
That is what I'm doing right now, and it is not very good.

Hi,

Showing the vst3 interface in Qtractor is a big deal even if it's not performant yet. I imagine that vst3 support in Ardour is somewhere in the future as I believe that the licensing for the correct bits is now compatible. I personally would be fine with Qtractor if Bazille and Zebra3 work there and it's stable; Ardour will get there soonishlier.

Has anyone got MIDI learn working in Repro 5 7015? Nothing happens here in Reaper.

Return to “u-he”