Zebra Redux

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My absolute favorite Zebra skin...and the new version is beautiful. Thank you so much. Very crisp and clear, and a little less 'fiddly', everything seems to pop up a little easier with this one. If only there was a Hive Redux skin...

voidhead23 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:44 pm My absolute favorite Zebra skin...and the new version is beautiful. Thank you so much. Very crisp and clear, and a little less 'fiddly', everything seems to pop up a little easier with this one. If only there was a Hive Redux skin...
Thanks! Hive Redux... now that I own Hive, that's a possibility :hihi:

How about some RePro love ?

You can call it "ReProdux :lol:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Tp3 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 pm How about some RePro love ?

You can call it "ReProdux :lol:
Yeah, and make it in skin like tones :clown:

Good news, I fixed the ModMatrix and Sends sliders, so now when clicked, they highlight the corresponding modules in right-side racks.

Download: ZebraHZ Redux 2018-1113-0338.zip

* Fixed ModMatrix and Sends modulation sliders
* Improved MSEGS editor
* Added CPU meter
* Added Zebra revision number to the Preferences pane

BTW, if you want to try this new ZHZ theme in regular Zebra2, you can do so by renaming the ZebraHZ.txt to Zebra2.txt in the Scripts folder.

Also, in this theme I added a couple of little helpers. For example, in the OSC modules, you can drag "Wave", "Tune" and "Detune" labels and they will act as quantized knobs. "Wave" moves in 1/16 steps, "Tune" - in 12 semitones, "Detune" - in very small steps. In the future, I'll highlight such labels to make them stand out from the rest.

OK, this is already much better. The Mod Matrix works the way I expect. Great! The one parameter that still doesn't point to the proper module is the oscillator vibrato. Would it be possible to make it select LFO 1 when clicked on or moved?

I don't know what kind of screen you're using, but when the skin size is set to 100%, it's just a little too big in height for a 15" macbook pro screen even with the Logic plug in header collapsed. It's really close now. It looks like just about 1/2 of the last row of the mod matrix is cut off. It's probably alright, but I keep thinking I'm missing more than I actually am because I can't see the bottom border of the plug in window. It's no big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.

I like the quantized knobs. I'll definitely use those.

That was a quick fix! Thanks drzhnn.

drzhnn wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:17 am
BTW, if you want to try this new ZHZ theme in regular Zebra2, you can do so by renaming the ZebraHZ.txt to Zebra2.txt in the Scripts folder.
Oops. This isn't working out for me in Logic 10.4.2. When I try to select this skin, it crashes Logic. I simply duplicated the original folder and changed the name of the script to Zebra2.txt. Is there something else that needs to change?

scoplunk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 am The one parameter that still doesn't point to the proper module is the oscillator vibrato. Would it be possible to make it select LFO 1 when clicked on or moved?
I tried various things to make it work, but no result so far. I'm afraid it won't be possible, because technically, in order to call to LFO1 module the vibrato has to be a modulation source. But it's a target. So...
scoplunk wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 am I don't know what kind of screen you're using, but when the skin size is set to 100%, it's just a little too big in height for a 15" macbook pro screen even with the Logic plug in header collapsed. It's really close now. It looks like just about 1/2 of the last row of the mod matrix is cut off. It's probably alright, but I keep thinking I'm missing more than I actually am because I can't see the bottom border of the plug in window. It's no big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for bringing this up. If you can see the lowest row of knobs in the Mixer (Main, Bus 1 etc.) then you don't really miss anything essential. But even at 90% zoom the theme should be usable. Honestly, I didn't give too much thought to that kind of thing, so please let me know if this becomes a problem.

As for using the theme in Z2, it should just work... Sorry to hear it crashes on Mac.

New update: ZebraHZ Redux 2018-1114-1921.zip

* Added quantized helper knobs for OSC, Comb, FMO, MSEG and Envelope modules (brighter gray labels)
* Added Wavetable Recorder from Zebra 2.8 Rev.7730 Tech Preview to OSCS tab
* Added guidelines to LFO modules and OSC editors in OSCS tab
* Changed color of spectral FX labels
* Changed color of non-obvious modulation sources (Envelopes Sus2 stage and LFO Phase - orange labels)
* Bigger fonts for rack filters, MSEGS, OSCS tabs

Please let me know if something doesn't work right or crashes.

I've tried placing the redux folder into all of the support/themes locations i can find on Win7 and the theme still doesnt show up...any suggestions? would love to try it out.
Thanks!

Not working for me either on Mac

I copied the redux folder into the themes folder.
:borg:

Are you trying to load it in Zebra2? The new theme is specifically for ZebraHZ. if you want to test it in Zebra2 you can try to rename the ZebraHZ.txt (in the theme's Scripts folder) to Zebra2.txt. Works here on Win10 but can get crashy, especially on Mac. So please save your projects before trying.

Yes Zebra2, your suggestion worked, thanks!

This is a really nice theme, i'm not sure if ill use it all the time, but i love the arp and it gets me thinking about the synth differently. Great work!

Great work, drzhnn. Two comments:

I think the idea of using the orange labels for non-obvious modulation sources is great, but could it be expanded? For instance, when I worked with the user LFO, I couldn't figure out how to switch between lines and steps. It turned out that I had to right click under the knob that showed the number of steps, but there was no way for me to know that (Oops. I see now that a single click on the label also works). I notice that when there are available parameters when I right click a label, I get a drop down with a parameter list and when there isn't an available parameter, I get a choice of skins and skin sizes. I wonder if it would be useful to use the orange color on all labels that will display a parameter list when right clicked to let the user know to look there.

I'm curious about why you left out the ability to change presets in the OSC and MSEG editors. Since I only go to those editors to specifically work on the OSC's and MSEG's, it seems likely that I might want to load or save a preset. This isn't a big deal, but I kept searching around for the preset name the first few times I worked in these editors and actually thought that maybe that function was missing until I went back to the Synth tab and saw it there.

Those are the only questions I had when I spent some time with this version. As always, thanks for doing all this work and sharing it with all of us, drzhnn!

Thank you :oops:
scoplunk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 am I think the idea of using the orange labels for non-obvious modulation sources is great, but could it be expanded? ...
Orange labels are supposed to just visually indicate that there's some change of value happening over time. For example, generally the Envelope module is a oneshot modulation type. But if say "LoopD" is enabled , then the Envelope becomes an LFO, kind of. And those orange labels indicate that there's that extra motion going on. Same with the LFO modules. The "Phase" label is orange when Phase parameter is in Free mode and changes its value at every key press. That label also acts as a Free/Gate switch, because I felt like it doesn't need to be a big button, since it's already color coded.

The Steps/Lines switch is where it is because I couldn't find a better place for it :oops: I think in next update I'll make it a proper button and move it to a dedicated row.

Most dropdown menus in this version were replaced with rows of button, which expose all available menu options at once. The ones that left as dropdown menus, have white labels and basically they are just duplicates of corresponding knobs and act as dynamic labels. Unless I missed something... Probably I should change the color of such menus to default gray to avoid confusion and reduce visual clutter.
scoplunk wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 am I'm curious about why you left out the ability to change presets in the OSC and MSEG editors. ...
I couldn't figure out how to let them have their own preset browsers :hihi: . If I add preset buttons there, they keep calling that preset browser from the SYNTH tab and it pops up in the middle of the screen... Would it be better if I change the look of the OSC/MSEG/Microtuning preset browser in the SYNTH tab to an overlapping horizontally oriented popup window (like in default Zebra theme), but then make it work also to OSCS and MSEGS tabs?

Return to “u-he”