Bazille - tips & tricks

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille

Hello,

Having a blast playing around with Bazille as I'm sure many of you are... :)
Many times, there are those small but cool tips and tricks that makes Bazille so much more fun.

Let's make this a nifty collection of such tips and tricks:
Feel free to post patches and audio examples too if any.

-----------------

for example:
Let's make a true PWM osc with the help of the Mod Mapper.

-Tweaks&FX tab: right-click on the Mod Generator1, select 128 steps, draw all down except the 1st one which is up. (should resemble the narrowest pulse)
-Synth tab: OSC1, put PD value to 50 and select Impulse, Same and TapMap1
-You can check the PW action moving the PD value but lets take LFO2 to mod that for us
..so connect LFO2 triangle wave to PD mod and give a max amount of 50 if you want to keep it "sane".

tips: put the LFO restart from gate to random and OSC phase restart to catch or random for a more "analogue" feel.

Now, if you wish, instead of the LFO, you can modulate the PW with a 2nd osc to get a cool FM type PWM.
Also, before this, try different combination of osc waves (for example Impulse + Square or HalfSaw results in a cool double PWM action)

Nice, I had been doing this with just two TapMap steps (full up, full down) and the 'saw' distortion. This way is a half cycle motion rather than a full cycle, your way has some advantages ... fractal modes with this is interesting.

A classic FM feedback trick is patching a sinusoidal oscillator's raw output into it's phase modulation input (no distortion etc.), increasing modulation depth approaches a saw. Perhaps more usefully for Bazille, patching raw output instead into the rectifier, and then into the phase modulation can approach a triangle wave (spectrally - it doesn't look similar on the oscilloscope). Raw->Rectifier->'PM medium' PhaseModDepth, value 12.00 is a slightly dull triangle wave. Using 'square' distortion at value 10.00 or so brightens it up a bit - still not perfect, but pretty close. (Dunno if there's a better way, hmm ...)

Yeah, the feedback trick would be helpful.

About getting a great triangle "wavetable"

-right-click the 128 step ModMapper, go to shapes - triangle
-go to the OSC and put TapMap1 instead of "cosine" and then try all the waves (+combinations after) while playing with the PD value.

added: feedback PM or PD will, again, act as a bit of a waveshaper here as well.

now try the rest of the shapes from the ModMapper (especially the sine), "cosine" would be the default shape.

great tips...

one from the other thread
- vibrato (tweaks) is connected to LFO 1 and is at 50% in the init patch.

from the manual (useful, that I missed)
- single click on input changes colour of wire (cycles thru)
- right click on outlet allows dragging of all wires

not in the manual
- shift click allows to route from previous output again
e.g.
click and drag from output, and release (drops wire)
now press shift and drag and a new wire from previous output appears to allow you to connect to another location

How to chromatically kb track LFOs (aka, turn LFOs into playable OSCs)

-connect LFO1 triangle or pulse wave into Out1
-set the rate to 0.1s and the dial to 3.04 (or 4.04 for +1oct) to later be in tune with the other oscs.
-select CV1 as mod source for the rate and value it to 2.67

-pick a multiplier and patch the key1 into two inputs (or patch into one input and daisy-chain into the 2nd)
-patch the mult out into CV1 in.

Just discovered a BIG importance of the OSC "raw" output.

You can use it to "feedback" AM without affecting the modulation through feedback. (does this sound right? :D )

It's basically a very useful waveshaper.

Try connecting the raw OSC output into it's volume mod, try positive as well as negative mod amounts.
The more complex the wave, the more waveshaping effect if will have.

thetechnobear wrote: not in the manual
- shift click allows to route from previous output again
e.g.
click and drag from output, and release (drops wire)
now press shift and drag and a new wire from previous output appears to allow you to connect to another location
Doesn't work here - can you explain more?

sure... actually Ive found its even simpler.

go to any input that already has a wire connected, then hold shift and drag and you will get a new wire from the output that that input was connected too. you can repeat this as many times as you wish
(i.e.its the same process as if you were moving a input from one input to another, but hold shift)

really useful :)

btw, I'm using public beta on mac osx, tested on lpx and ableton

thetechnobear wrote:go to any input that already has a wire connected, then hold shift and drag and you will get a new wire from the output that that input was connected to
Hah! :tu:

2 quick tips:

Filter feedback:

Just run a signal through the filter and patch the same or other filter output back into the 2nd input.
If you want better control, use a mult for a feedback parameter.

------------------------------

"Offline" bit crusher using tap-map.

Example:
After choosing tap-map for an OSC, PD value to minimum, right-click the Map Generator and select Triangle for example, right-click again and select quantise to 8... enjoy your 8-bit triangle :tu:

If you wish to bit crush the normal waves, select the cosine wave instead of the triangle + right-click and quantize to 8.

If you want the max value of quantisation and you're not about doing it manually.... right-click wave and make unipolar + quantize to 4 = 2bit (4 levels)

Here's one. 128 triangle as the base wave. Distortion waves Impulse, Res III. (Set base wave to Tapmap 1). Outputs (bottom of osc 1) : Volume 50. Bottom output to filter 1 as usual, and also to the rectifier. Rectifier out to the slew generator, both knobs at 0.8, output of slew to the PD FM input, value 38.

Filter 1: Gain 23.50, cutoff full, resonance 30.50, then connect LP18 to Out 1. This just balances the sound's spectrum a bit.

Now play some deep bass notes and turn PD amount up and down. Sounds like a really quirky filter.

The next step would be adding PD modulation from the MW and envelope to 303-ize it :hihi:. I think I'll need to add that all together with multiples, since the PD mod input is spoken for.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

awesome, but Bazille is aliasing as heck! :cry:
When pushed, the most interesting things are hidden in oceans of aliasing (not to be confused with feedback noise of course :D )

Maybe it will get better as soon as it's release in that respect.

Until then, we really need a multi-position switch for the HQ function or something, but then again, the only down side with u-he synths is the CPU usage :cry: ..not complaining tho, sound is always of great quality! :)

A HQ+ mode would be awesome, I didn't think the aliasing was that bad, though. Only insufferable with large modulations and high notes. I think at least some of the high end noise may be part of the actual process, a bit like how you can get noise when you use feedback in FM.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Formants:

Two equally pitched oscillators, same Res I/II/III distortion, slightly offset PD depth, mixed with one inverted. For depths of phase distortion above 25.00 or so, one will get a spectrum with two peaks and a cancelled fundamental. The location of the peaks can be fine-tuned by adjusting the PD depth, and the slope/bandwidth is different for Res I/II/III (II is notably much narrower). Similar results can be achieved with 'fractalize'.

---

2 ways to PWM without TapMaps:

1) Mix a saw with another equivalent saw, but inverted and with an constant offset phase. Modulate PWM depth by further modulating phase (via the phase mod input).

2) With a square wave oscillator - patch a sine wave of the same pitch into the phase mod. Modulate PWM depth by modulating the sine oscillator's amplitude.

---

Mixing a dry signal with a BP-filtered, inverted version can lead to cancellation of the BP-signal from the original, or notch filtering. The filter can't be using gain or resonance, not as versatile as a parametric EQ's notch, but looks like a fairly tight 24-db attenuation at the cutoff.

xh3rv wrote: Mixing a dry signal with a BP-filtered, inverted version can lead to cancellation of the BP-signal from the original, or notch filtering. The filter can't be using gain or resonance, not as versatile as a parametric EQ's notch, but looks like a fairly tight 24-db attenuation at the cutoff.
+ Do similar with lpf in place of bpf and get access to different hp filter variations.

Somewhat related, been using distortion module more for its eq section than for distortion. Not that it isn't a nice distortion.

Return to “u-he”