Windows 7 Permission Fix

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all..I just ordered a new computer with Win 7 64 bit installed. Being a virgin to that OS can someone please guide me through the best way to install the latest version of Zebra 2 on it ?

Thanks for your help ! :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ok thanks. I'll be installing Zebra 2 shortly after the new machine arrives. I've gotten some great tips from Win 7 users on file management so I should be able to figure it out.......hopefully..... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Hi,

i just bought Zebra and got the problem that when I enter my registration code it is in demo mode the next time I open zebra again (precisly the problem which is addressed at the top of this topic). But when I go trough ur tutorial and move the zebra2.data folder to my documents and make a shortcut and place this one in my vst folder it wont solve the problem. I tried installing it on different places but then zebra just crashes my ableton.

For the record I installed zebra on my D drive because C is my boot drive and has nearly no space, so the dll files are in D/programfiles(86x)/vstplugins asswell as my zebra2.data (this is a shortcut) and the original file is in D/user/mydocuments/

I also tried to install zebra on my C disk and do the same procedure but then zebra crashes. I also tried installing on D and just moving the shortcut of zebra2.data to C but then it also crashes.. while crashes is says something about not finding C/programfiles/scrips/ somewhat..

I hope you guys can help me out.. :cry:

Hi Wasted_Talent,

I hope we can get there quickly. Please create an empty text file called "Zebra2.log" on your desktop, run Live, close Live (or let it crash) and send that log to support at u-he dot com - if possible accompanied by a screenshot of any message and a screenshot of your Vstplugins folder that contains Zebra2.dll and Zebra2.data

Thanks,

- Urs

Urs wrote:Hi Wasted_Talent,

I hope we can get there quickly. Please create an empty text file called "Zebra2.log" on your desktop, run Live, close Live (or let it crash) and send that log to support at u-he dot com - if possible accompanied by a screenshot of any message and a screenshot of your Vstplugins folder that contains Zebra2.dll and Zebra2.data

Thanks,

- Urs
Thanks! I have done that e-mail is send :)

Answered! I think you have two Zebra2(x64).dll files, and the Shortcut has ended up with the one Live isn't taking - not sure, but that's my first guess from looking at the screenshots.

- Urs

I just installed a Bootcamp version of Win7x64. Just installed Live9x64. Installed Zebra 2.6.

No matter what I do, the registration does not stick. The regcode works and Zebra says "Thanks for purchasing" but as soon as I close out the Zebra window and reopen it, from the track in Live where it's inserted, it asks for the code again - in demo mode.

I have tried everything on this thread and on Evil Dragon's thread. I have moved the VSTPlugins folder out of Program Files to C:\VSTPlugins. I have also tried this with the Zebra.data file in the same directory as the Zebra(x64).dll file as well as with a shortcut to My Documents.

Nothing is working. Please advise ASAP. I have an Ableton Usergroup meeting to run tomorrow, and I really need it working. Thanks much.

nebulae, please create an empty text file on your desktop and name it "Zebra2.log", then start Live, open Zebra, close Live. You can send that text file to us or look into it yourself - there'll be various entries showing the *actual* path to the Zebra2.data folder. Maybe you have a second one on your harddrive.

The quick solution is of course to run Live as Administrator.

Ok, running as Administrator did the trick. I had to find the Live 9 Suite.exe file, which is not in Program Files but rather in ProgramData, which is hidden. Anyways, once I got there, I right-clicked on the .exe and ran as Admin, and then entered my code, and it finally work.

Hope there's a solution to this for future installers. Thanks for the quick help.

nebulae wrote:Hope there's a solution to this for future installers.
Probably not, because this isn't really a u-he plugin installation issue, more of an issue of Windows, not giving Live (or any host with this problem in general) the necessary permissions to write-access certain files.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

^ that's a nice way to pass the blame. But honestly, this is the only one of my plugins that has this problem. Which I think makes it U-he's problem (even though it may not be U-he's fault, if that makes sense.)

nebulae wrote:^ that's a nice way to pass the blame. But honestly, this is the only one of my plugins that has this problem. Which I think makes it U-he's problem (even though it may not be U-he's fault, if that makes sense.)
Hi Nebulae

No. It is really a problem with the very obscure rules of authorizations in Windows Vista, 7, and now 8.

I have met the same kind of problem with several other VTS's and VSTI's, some by Korg (MDE-X, MS-20 and Polysix of the KLC, curiously never with M1 nor Wavestation), others by AAS (Ultra-Analog VA-2, Lizard Lounge Session and Strum Acoustic Session), and some others that I have forgotten (and not only music applications).

Finally I have definitively managed to solve the problem (definitively for the moment... I cross my fingers, It's only three months that I use the method that I shall explain). How do I have managed? By a double reflex each time that I install an application (or a plug-in) which requires a registration code or an online unlock. It consists to:

- Never install this application in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (86)" but always in an arborescence that I have created and dedicated to my programs.

For that, in the root "C:" I have created a folder "C:\Apps32" and a folder "C:\Apps64".

Remember that when you launch an installation program it always suggests you the folder where to install the application (and eventually its data). And it doesn't forgive you to install it elsewhere.

EACH TIME the installation program suggests me the folder "C:\Program Files\xxxxxxxx..." or "C:\Program Files (86)\xxxxxxxx..." I replace the character string by "C:\Apps64\xxxxxxxx..." or "C:\Apps32\xxxxxxxx...". I don't touch nothing else! But I change this character string EACH TIME IT APPEARS in the installation program! (Generally only one or two times)

So my applications are never installed in the two boring trees "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (86)" (it is at the point that now they are nearly empty!)

There are very, very few installation programs that don't allow this choice to install the application elsewhere than in the traditional arborescence.

Of course I don't change anything concerning "C:\Program Data\xxxx"... it remains "C:\Program Data\xxxx" as is.

The first application that I have tried to reinstall with this method (it was sure to be an excellent test for validation) was... The whole Microsoft Office itself! And it works perfectly now like before! So it was the proof that this method is valid and nicely accepted by the operating system.

Thus if it works perfectly with Microsoft Office iteself... there was no reason for other softwares to not work the same.

Bingo! All my applications are reinstalled and work nice! Very, very few have refused to install in another arborescence than "Program Files", and very, very few have even suggested anything, installing without any interactivity (these applications and their installation programs are assuredly very badly written).

But now even better! Yes, see this:
- Dedicated to all my music applications I have created a subfolder named "MAO" (the french equivalent to "CM" which is the acronyme of "Computer Music"). And thus ALL my music applications are now installed in "C:\Apps64\MAO\xxxxxxxx..." or "C:\Apps32\MAO\xxxxxxxx..."

Why do I have created these subfolders "MAO" to install all my music applications? Because structured as this, when in the settings of my DAWS and hosts we must declare the folder where they will have to scan for new VSTs, I simply declare "C:\Apps64\MAO\" for my 64 bit DAWS and hosts and declare "C:\Apps32\MAO\" for my 32 bit DAWS and hosts. And so I'm sure that nothing will be forgotten (and the scan remains very quick, and it is not done every day).

And all work very well with this method and since I began to use this new organization in my disk drive... I have never met anymore the problems of "lost authorizations", "lost licence keys", etc.

I'm french native language and english is for me only a second language, so I hope my english was clear in this long technical post...

When you don't start cubase with administrator permissions, hive will always say it fails to create midi cache data, while that file already exists.

I tried the solution on the U he website but now it's even worse, now the plugin even can't load it's UI, because it seems to be in an unreachable place.

as a side note: I kinda wonder why the basic ui stuf isn't inside the dll, is that to make modding easy ? I've only seen that with plugins that were in beta.

Why isn't it standardized in new plugins like Hive that the plugin actually search for user data in the proper appdata location ?

CosmicD wrote:When you don't start cubase with administrator permissions, hive will always say it fails to create midi cache data, while that file already exists.

I tried the solution on the U he website but now it's even worse, now the plugin even can't load it's UI, because it seems to be in an unreachable place.
Ugh, sorry, I hadn't seen your post until today.

Please contact support@u-he.com - they're really good at fixing these issues.
as a side note: I kinda wonder why the basic ui stuf isn't inside the dll, is that to make modding easy ? I've only seen that with plugins that were in beta.
First of all, we need png files on Mac and Linux. If we added those files into the binary, we would have to convert them to bmp first and figure out how to stuff script files and the filesystem itself into the binary.

Furthermore we have a fully automated build environment. I always deemed it as overkill to automatically convert all those images to bmp, the scripts into a c headers ad so on for each single build. We typically do 5-10 builds every day.

And even if we did that, it wouldn't change the necessity to have a data directory. So we have a data directory anyway, why not keep it simple and stuff the UI in there.
Why isn't it standardized in new plugins like Hive that the plugin actually search for user data in the proper appdata location ?
We actually have a feature planned to let the user search and relocate the data wherever he wants. It doesn't have the highest priority though because our system generally works well.

The reason we're not doing the "Microsoft recommended" data locations by default is that those are invisible (facepalm!) to most users. Many of our users would like to add external preset packs and stuff and may have problems finding those locations. We think, using Windows' Appdata location is as much a support nightmare as Apple's decision to hide the user's library folder.

Return to “u-he”