Improvements!

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I lock the "Mix" parameter of Colour Copy and change the presets, its still moving. This only happens if the parameter isn't locked at 50%.
I'm new to U-He plugins and might miss something. Is this a bug?

For all plugins: It would be also great if whole sections could be locked to creatively get new ideas while browsing through presets. E.g. locking all effects or a whole sequence. Right now I would need to lock tens of parameters to achieve that. Maybe simply add a shortcut. E.g. in Repro right clicking the effect tab adds a shortcut to lock each underlaying effect parameter. Right clicking only on Jaws, etc. locks only parameters of Jaws.

flocked wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 am When I lock the "Mix" parameter of Colour Copy and change the presets, its still moving. This only happens if the parameter isn't locked at 50%.
I'm new to U-He plugins and might miss something. Is this a bug?
Yes, this is a known bug, and will be fixed in the next update.
We had adjusted the behaviour of the mix knob between the public beta and the final release.
And because of that, we added some automatic adjustments so that user presets made with the beta would still sound correctly. But this interfered with the lock functionality.
As long as you set the mix to 0, 50, or 100, there won't be an issue when switching presets.

Urs, if you read this, I would be forever grateful if you guys put dynamic knobs on Zebra3 and future synths. Bitwig has modulators where it moves the actual knob of the target, which helps me visually see whats going on instantly. For instance, a Bitwig LFO attached to the cutoff on Zebra moves the cutoff knob IN Zebra. The Zebra (or just about any synth from any company) LFO doesnt show any dynamic movement of knobs or colored ring to show how much modulation is going on. Even if that little colored ring above the knob moved, it would be awesome. Has UHe team ever thought of implementing that?

I was close to getting Hive with sale but again, I felt like that was the missing feature to pull the credit card out.

Urs is not fond of that concept visually, tho (it CAN get too busy and way too distracting, not to mention wastes CPU)... We might get a scope with which we can check a particular modulation assignment but that's about it, methinks.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:30 pm Urs is not fond of that concept visually, tho (it CAN get too busy and way too distracting, not to mention wastes CPU)... We might get a scope with which we can check a particular modulation assignment but that's about it, methinks.
Yeah... I'm not that fond of it either. I do like visual cues about what is being modulated. I don't necessarily want it animated, or if it is, only when I specifically ask for it, not just there and on all the time.

Didnt think it would take too much cpu up. I just put an lfo modulator on every paramater possible on ana2 and the cpu hit was non existant. Wonder if it is due to it being native to the DAW? Literally every button was moving, and slider sliding :o :D . That WAS too busy lol.

Youre guys’ post made me think about other options.

1.Maybe a simple little button that allows on/off of animated knobs.

2. Color matching of modulator to parameter being modulated. Somthing simple, like the current ring around Zebra2 knobs, but color matched to whats being controlled.

Idk, just ideas. Of course simpler is much better than over doing it. Tried out Arturia Pigments and sheeesh, what a nightmare. TOO visual.

Potential enhancement for Hive 2.0: a hidden parameter (like Delay wow) for the the EQ's resonance. I'd personally be happy with a Q control for the mid-band only, but I would welcome per band or even global control also.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pm Potential enhancement for Hive 2.0: a hidden parameter (like Delay wow) for the the EQ's resonance. I'd personally be happy with a Q control for the mid-band only, but I would welcome per band or even global control also.
Nice one!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pma hidden parameter (like Delay wow)
??

pdxindy wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 pm
PieBerger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pma hidden parameter (like Delay wow)
??
There are a number of parameters that are not visible in the GUI i.e. they're hidden, but are still available as possible modulation targets within the mod matrix, for example delay 'wow' (frequency wobble), phaser depth and compressor mix. They allow for fine tuning of parameters without cluttering the interface and deviating from Hive's core principle of quick workflow. They're pretty neat and I would like to see more of them included in future updates!

Edit: see page 53 of the (v1.2) manual for a full list of hidden targets (in bold)
Last edited by PieBerger on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Read the Manual!

I think it's an odd stance to be anti-graphical display of modulation parameters, but to each their own I guess. I'm not sure I buy the CPU expense argument (there are ways to do this that aren't graphically intensive / flashy) and as for it looking "too busy" that just seems like an excuse for side-stepping creative design work.

AFAIC, showing modulation results in realtime is the present and future of good soft-synth design. Serum and Avenger both do it very well, without (apparent) CPU hit or a "too busy" look. They both let you see the depth of modulation on a knob / slider, and where the current modulation value is at any given time (yes, animating). They also both have little lights that move along envelopes in real time, showing the progress of the envelope.

All of this is, imo, incredibly useful feedback. If I'd had such visualization available to me years ago, I think I would have learned synthesis a hell of a lot faster and with a lot less confusion / frustration. But even as an "advanced" synth programmer now, the visual information is still incredibly useful. I think arguing against it is arguing for an outdated design.

But that's just my two cents on the issue. Needless to say I'd hope Urs would reconsider the possibility of such things in future synths, namely Zebra3.

No blinkys on the controls of Hive please :uhuhuh: Try that on a Different dark horse :hug:

(Oops, I see this is talking aabout Zeebra so nevermind)

Have a few minutes time before end of evening so I made my own Hive blinky visual feedbacks using some CVtoXY action(s). I never heard these sounds from this synth until now :shrug: https://ibb.co/dm6cfMs

mholloway wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:36 pmAFAIC, showing modulation results in realtime is the present and future of good soft-synth design. Serum and Avenger both do it very well, without (apparent) CPU hit or a "too busy" look.
Serum is CPU heavy and Avenger takes something like 900MB of RAM per instance. Neither of them are exactly resource light...

I'm not against GUI animation, but I do want to have some control over it... as in I want the option to turn it off because yes, I frequently do find it too busy. Also, once I know a synth well, most of the animation stops being of much use to me.

A small mistake I noted on the Presswerk website. If you open the link for resident advisors review, it directs to their Hive review. :) And "releasetime" review quote is just "???".

Return to “u-he”