macOS Catalina compatibility

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone have any information about plugin compatibility (esp. repro) for macOS Catalina?

I've been on the beta for a while now, and am on the final release now. Everything U-He I have tried is working great here, including Repro. I didn't try absolutely everything, though.

I have had issues with installing some AUs due to the new notarization requirements. For unsigned stuff, you need to fix the AUs on the command line if you are intending to use them in Logic Pro X or other hosts that use the macOS AU loader (For example, HostingAU, or the RogueAmeoba utilities). For other hosts, like Ableton that use their own AU loader, this is not an issue.

If you have 64-bit U-He plugins already installed, they should just work.

If you have 32-bit anything and still wish to use it, do not upgrade. You are now stuck on Mojave forever.
Last edited by teilo on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

is there any reason to update to Catalina if you don't have to? really.. unless your new computer comes w/Catalina installed and you have no choice but to run it... just put that shit on mute.

wait a year to be safe.

OK thanks! And good to know about the signing issue.
teilo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:41 pm I've been on the beta for a while now, and am on the final release now. Everything U-He I have dried is working great here, including Repro. I didn't try absolutely everything, though.

I have had issues with installing some AUs due to the new notarization requirements. For unsigned stuff, you need to fix the AUs on the command line if you are intending to use them in Logic Pro X or other hosts that use the macOS AU loader (For example, HostingAU, or the RogueAmeoba utilities). For other hosts, like Ableton that use their own AU loader, this is not an issue.

If you have 64-bit U-He plugins already installed, they should just work.

If you have 32-bit anything and still wish to use it, do not upgrade. You are now stuck on Mojave forever.

Well,in the last few days I received e-mails from every plugin/audio developer... Native Instruments, Eventide, PSP, AIR, Akai, izotope, waves, roland cloud, and a lot other, telling to NOT upgrade, so... even it u-He software works on Catalina, there's a high chance that the rest of the software won't work... I would wait some weeks/months, tbh.

Definitely no harm in waiting. But I have tried lots and lots of my plugins, and have not run into any issues other than those I noted above. But then again, this is on an upgrade. It is very possible that new installations would have issues, and there's no way I would be able to report on that. I don't intend to rebuild this thing from scratch until I get the next laptop.

Our stuff works fine as far as we know - but of course we couldn't test in hosts that don't run on it yet.

We've updated some of our dev machines and were able to meet all requirements for the time past January. In a month or so we'll offer separate notarized installers with just the 64-bit plug-ins. The existing installers (including 32 bit plug-ins) will be maintained in parallel for another year or two.

Urs wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:00 amIn a month or so we'll offer separate notarized installers with just the 64-bit plug-ins.
So if I was to buy a new Mac tomorrow and it came with Catalina would I be able to install your plugins even if the installer is not notarized?

pierb wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:11 am So if I was to buy a new Mac tomorrow and it came with Catalina would I be able to install your plugins even if the installer is not notarized?
Our plugins can still be installed, even without the installer being notarized.

The worst that can happen is that Catalina tells you it cannot start the installer because it cannot scan it for malicious software.

In this case you need to right-click the installer and choose the "open" command from the menu to make it run. That's it.

But in a test with the release version of Catalina, this wasn't needed. Our installers worked just fine.

Thanks @tasmaniandevil

waltercruz wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:16 pm Well,in the last few days I received e-mails from every plugin/audio developer... Native Instruments, Eventide, PSP, AIR, Akai, izotope, waves, roland cloud, and a lot other, telling to NOT upgrade, so... even it u-He software works on Catalina, there's a high chance that the rest of the software won't work... I would wait some weeks/months, tbh.
I got the same emails, but upgraded and found that everything I have works without problems.

If everything else works well I would think that U-he plugins will all work fine.

There *is* a January deadline for certain security mechanisms developers have to implement. We've implemented a workflow for this, but we still have to release updates of everything until then.

Return to “u-he”