Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 pm I like a graphical wavetable editor like in Dune 3 much more than the way it is done in Hive.
That is a nice feature.

TheSynthScientist wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:27 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 pm I like a graphical wavetable editor like in Dune 3 much more than the way it is done in Hive.
That is a nice feature.
It is. However: Few companies have as much experience with drawable waveform editors in their products as we do. Zebra has had it since version 1.0 in 2003. I reckon that less - probably a lot less - than 5% of the presets ever made have benefitted greatly from drawable waveforms. Most sounds are just fine with an extensive waveform library and/or high-level waveform manipulation.

I just got Hive and i'm glad, i have it. I think Hive and Dune can complement each other. Dune is softer and nice for luch pads or soft arpeggios, Hive is more bity for bass and leads/plucks. Well done Urs and team!
Can't even imagine how powerful Zebra 3 is gonna be. :hyper:

chk071 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pmI'd be very curious to see some usage metrics though, and how many people actually use the uhm file scripting.
I assume by that you mean writing scripts... lots of people are gonna use existing scripts. Just like lots of users never build anything in Reaktor but do use stuff from the user library and Kontakt users who buy sample libraries and never make one themselves.

The Uhm scripts are freakin brilliant. They take up no space. They have a sound quality distinctive and in some ways better than regular wavetables. They sound very good even on low and high notes. They modulate well.

Just in the time Uhm scripting has been publicly available, I've heard many interesting and unique results from the scripts created by a few users. Hive now has something other wavetable synths do not.

Demo of the new u-he Hive 1.2 wavetable sounds. Great sounding synth! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Ovp77EAQw

pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:40 pmI'd be very curious to see some usage metrics though, and how many people actually use the uhm file scripting.
I assume by that you mean writing scripts... lots of people are gonna use existing scripts. Just like lots of users never build anything in Reaktor but do use stuff from the user library and Kontakt users who buy sample libraries and never make one themselves.
Fair enough. :)

surreal wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:11 pmThe only wish I would have is to have had hard sync natively in Hive but I understand the omission of it.…(snip)…I suppose I will have to get Bazille or Zebra to get a more FM approach if I want a more Yamaha TX type sound
Hive includes several hard sync and TX-type wavetables.

Howard wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm
surreal wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:11 pmThe only wish I would have is to have had hard sync natively in Hive but I understand the omission of it.…(snip)…I suppose I will have to get Bazille or Zebra to get a more FM approach if I want a more Yamaha TX type sound
Hive includes several hard sync and TX-type wavetables.
Thank you Howard,

It will just take me a while to use those in making presets that suit the sound that I am after!

My Tip: Don't import other wavetables until after you have thoroughly investigated what's already on board. There's a lot more than immediately meets the ear in there...

Urs wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 am
It is. However: Few companies have as much experience with drawable waveform editors in their products as we do. Zebra has had it since version 1.0 in 2003. I reckon that less - probably a lot less - than 5% of the presets ever made have benefitted greatly from drawable waveforms. Most sounds are just fine with an extensive waveform library and/or high-level waveform manipulation.
What is your view on spectral filters, like in Europa?

Grizzellda wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 am
I invented them. Zebra, 2003.

(somebody else might have invented them before me, but I wouldn't know, in case of which I might have re-invented them)

Urs wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:23 am
Grizzellda wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 am
I invented them. Zebra, 2003.

(somebody else might have invented them before me, but I wouldn't know, in case of which I might have re-invented them)
So, would you be talking about stuff like say, the "filter FX" in Zebralette, things like...

exophase, phase distortion, wrap, symmetry ???????

Are these the spectral filters you claim to have invented?

Well, they sound pretty dope to me. :hihi: :hihi:

Also, Urs...you are mentioning an older version of Zebra...but it is later now! Do you have any comments on more modern synths, like Europa?

Grizzellda wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:39 pm Also, Urs...you are mentioning an older version of Zebra...but it is later now! Do you have any comments on more modern synths, like Europa?
Tongue-in-cheek: Zebra is the only modern synth I know.

But yes, spectral filters are great. I'm surprised so few companies have managed to implement them.

Urs wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:53 pm
Grizzellda wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:39 pm Also, Urs...you are mentioning an older version of Zebra...but it is later now! Do you have any comments on more modern synths, like Europa?
Urs wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:53 pmTongue-in-cheek: Zebra is the only modern synth I know.
But yes, spectral filters are great. I'm surprised so few companies have managed to implement them.
Alright!

Well, thanx so much, for not really answering my question...

well, sure, I mean ,...you can say "other companies"...and pretend that is an answer!
Tongue-in-cheek: Zebra is the only modern synth I know.
Well, first of all, please place tongue in middle of mouth, and fasten seat belts, because the airplane is poised for take off.

Your answer here is weak and appalling, and all I wanted was some cool info from a developer I respect... :hihi:...

Like, how would you even define a "spectral filter"??

Grizzellda wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:50 pmLike, how would you even define a "spectral filter"??
A filter which works directly on the spectrum by breaking it down into chunks and messing with them. :)

Return to “u-he”