Freestyle feedback

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Could we maybe communicate by email, so that I can get a log about your sound card?

Thanks

James
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm Hi

Could we maybe communicate by email, so that I can get a log about your sound card?

Thanks

James
I emailed you so we can continue there. Cheers!

newsonicarts wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 pm Another issue - Only the first 8 letters of a macro is shown as the name in the DAW. Surely it can be longer? All the name are getting cut off.
Indeed, VST2.4 parameter names are restricted to 8 characters. That's just how the VST protocol is.
But not all plugins (or should I say: most) or hosts seem to respect that. i.e. I can easily get more than 8 chars showing in Reaper when automating, for example, Kontakt parameters. u-he plugins show even longer parameter names (over 20 chars) - and they show up just fine in parameter lists in Reaper.

I also tested this in FL Studio, Live, Studio One and Maschine. They all show more than 8 chars for parameter names (or should I say - they all just show what the plugin is spitting out, I cannot see if there's a hard limit here - except for example with Kontakt, it hard limits the param name to 16 chars).

So, doing this like all those other hosts would be nice!

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 am
newsonicarts wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:55 pm Another issue - Only the first 8 letters of a macro is shown as the name in the DAW. Surely it can be longer? All the name are getting cut off.
Indeed, VST2.4 parameter names are restricted to 8 characters. That's just how the VST protocol is.
But not all plugins (or should I say: most) or hosts seem to respect that. i.e. I can easily get more than 8 chars showing in Reaper when automating, for example, Kontakt parameters. u-he plugins show even longer parameter names (over 20 chars) - and they show up just fine in parameter lists in Reaper.

I also tested this in FL Studio, Live, Studio One and Maschine. They all show more than 8 chars for parameter names (or should I say - they all just show what the plugin is spitting out, I cannot see if there's a hard limit here - except for example with Kontakt, it hard limits the param name to 16 chars).

So, doing this like all those other hosts would be nice!
Agreed! I was going to post images of Bitwig and Ableton and Maschine showing much longer names from plugins as examples, but didn't get around to it. Actually even Freestyle itself is a host for plugins and shows the full names longer than 8 characters in it's plugin parametert list and when macros are assigned. It just doesn't send the full names of it's macros to the host in which it is loaded as a plugin.

Just noticed that the update sends full parameter names for macros to the host. Thanks!

Edit: Wrong thread.

Going by this thread, assigning "All" channels for a particular MIDI port is broken horribly in Freestyle. At least it works in a way that nobody would expect. Apparently events from all incoming MIDI channels get merged to a single MIDI channel, which makes it impossible to work with MPE devices and MPE compatible virtual instruments within Freestyle.

This is emphasized with the fact that Event Monitor doesn't even spit out any information about the MIDI channel of the events it's monitoring.

This should be fixed ASAP (both the "All" option actually not modifying any incoming MIDI channels and just sending them to the plugin as they are, adn Event Monitor also monitoring the MIDI channel of incoming events).

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:17 am Going by this thread, assigning "All" channels for a particular MIDI port is broken horribly in Freestyle. At least it works in a way that nobody would expect. Apparently events from all incoming MIDI channels get merged to a single MIDI channel, which makes it impossible to work with MPE devices and MPE compatible virtual instruments within Freestyle.

This is emphasized with the fact that Event Monitor doesn't even spit out any information about the MIDI channel of the events it's monitoring.

This should be fixed ASAP (both the "All" option actually not modifying any incoming MIDI channels and just sending them to the plugin as they are, adn Event Monitor also monitoring the MIDI channel of incoming events).
+1

Regards,
tl.

^^^
Another +1

Yeah I recently noticed the All midi channels in doesn't work properly. All channels are not getting passed to plugins loaded in Freestyle.

Standby.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:24 pm Yeah I recently noticed the All midi channels in doesn't work properly. All channels are not getting passed to plugins loaded in Freestyle.
Internally there is no midi channel involving.
One has to make midi channels distinction outside Freestyle.
Then, use the inputs (adding one per channel as needed) to take advantage of multi channels playing.
At least, this is how I’m dealing with it.

Unfortunately, that is not good enough. Kore 2 had no problems dealing with MIDI channels internally. "All" MIDI channels should really mean that ALL MIDI channels are passed to the plugin, not merged to a single channel. :P

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:36 pm Unfortunately, that is not good enough. Kore 2 had no problems dealing with MIDI channels internally. "All" MIDI channels should really mean that ALL MIDI channels are passed to the plugin, not merged to a single channel. :P
Of course what I was talking about in my previous post is a work around.
I definitely would prefer Freestyle to deal with midi channels internally.
That said, I don't get what you mean by:
""All" MIDI channels should really mean that ALL MIDI channels are passed to the plugin"
In fact, they are.
You can choose them (inside Freestyle using multiple ins with the "Add Event Input" option), and use the ones you need from there by right clicking on the midi dot.

Your missing the point. I need ALL of them to be sent to ONE plugin at the same time. This is how it has to be for MPE plugins to work in Freestyle, but since "All" option in the very location your talking about is broken (it merges any MIDI channel to just channel 1, I confirmed with MIDI monitor script in Kontakt), it doesn't work as it should. Simple as that. We should be able to just select All, instead of doing 16 right clicks..

Return to “New Sonic Arts”