Freestyle feedback

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks - I was trying to replicate this in surge and as ED points out here it doesn’t seem to load in the version you linked on the github issue. Is there some way I can get a runnable version of the software that loads surge and shows the bug? Also knowing the order of your calling effEditClose would be super and what you’ve already seen about our response. ThanksQ

baconpaul wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:46 pm Hey folks - I was trying to replicate this in surge and as ED points out here it doesn’t seem to load in the version you linked on the github issue. Is there some way I can get a runnable version of the software that loads surge and shows the bug? Also knowing the order of your calling effEditClose would be super and what you’ve already seen about our response. ThanksQ
It runs in the 1.5x, the release of which is immiment but for now its still officially public beta, but you can get that from the User Area. (Don't need a licence, you just need to create a User Area account, it can be used in demo mode as normal).

effEditClose is called immediately before destroying the system window. Thats it. There are no other calls to the VST during that process. (Just my hunch.. but I suspect the bug is not actually at the point of effEditClose, as basically nothing special is happening there, but rather Surge for whatever reason is getting in an invalid state sometime before that and its just manifesting in that way.)

If you need further assistance please contact us by email at support at newsonicarts.com
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:51 pm Weird. I have that same version, but it doesn't show up like that.
Well please try it again in the upcoming 1.5.017 RC (probably tonight, which is most likely going to become the actual release). I dont think there has been any changes to hosting, but at least then we know we are comparing apples to apples. If it still doesnt work after that, PM me as possibly it could be due to your VST database being corrupted, or some other nitty gritty thing we can try to work out.

If you dont get update emails for public betas but want too please email to support at..
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Oh I check the user area here and there for new beta versions, worry not. I will be on the lookout for 1.5.017, thanks!

I got it running and was able to make it crash. Will debug before 1.6.5 or if I think it's a bug on your side (unlikely but not impossible) will drop you an email. Thanks!

And looking now, I think this is probably part of the culprit!

Code: Select all

void Vst2PluginInstance::close()
{}

OK right I now see why you are different than other DAWs i've tested in. I'll send an email over and attach it to the GitHub ticket.

In case folks stumble on this thread:

1. Surge was doing something wrong
2. FreeStyle was the only host which was exposed to surge doing that wrong thing
3. In the nightlies as of Dec 18 and in upcoming 1.6.5 Surge willl be fixed
4. James and the team were super helpful in helping me figure out what it was.

Thank you, James and Paul, for being awesome humans :)

I've been playing with the demo recently and come across something strange. If a snapshot is stored with a macro all the way down (at zero), recalling that snapshot will not transmit the zero value to my host (Bitwig). The value changes in freestyle but the host parameter is left where it is. The issue here is that if the Macro is tweaked in the host (e.g. remote control mapping or Bitwig macro/modulation) after the shapshot change, the value jumps suddenly since the parameter value wasn't changed in the host .

Make sense? So for proper parameter updates in the host , the freestyle macro has to be above zero in the snapshot, then the correct value is transmitted to the host .

Standby :)

Darn, hit another snag while evaluating freestyle. It seems that Freestyle only shows one plugin when there are automapped versions, and is randomly picking to either load the automap version of a plugin, or the original non-automap version. And it changes after each refresh and reload (after both happen), and then each plugin flips to using the other one. This is what Komplete Kontrol does as well, though Maschine does not. Maschine always loads the automap version regardless of which was loaded before, which is good. Many other hosts do the same. If the automap version is present, it loads that.

I was really liking it but I'm pretty attached to my Novation automapso that will be a no-go if it unpredictably loads or doesn't load the automap versions. Can anything be done about that? It seems many hosts don't have an issue with these so I hope so!
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mm that's annoying...I'll consult the oracle.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:52 amIf a snapshot is stored with a macro all the way down (at zero), recalling that snapshot will not transmit the zero value to my host (Bitwig).
This should be fixed in Public Beta v1.5022, now in the User Area.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 pm It seems that Freestyle only shows one plugin when there are automapped versions, and is randomly picking to either load the automap version of a plugin, or the original non-automap version.
I have not tested with Automap plugins specifically, but you should be able to select from different versions in the VST 'Select Version' menu (also accessible by right-clicking on the thumbnail). This was originally intended for selecting between different output configs (different plugins reporting the same vendor/name, but with different I/O configs and UIDs).

This has also been improved in v1.5022 so that plugins with same vendor/name *but* with identical UIDs will appear there seperately, so you can now select between such 'clones'. My guess is that automap plugins report the same vendor/name and unique ID as the original (which is kinda stupid TBH as the VST system assumes each plugin has a unique ID).

TL;DR... please try the 'Select Version' feature in v1.5022, I think it will solve the problem.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Return to “New Sonic Arts”