Granite Feature Requests

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Granite

Very nice to finally see a dedicated area for Granite ( and New Sonic Arts for that matter)

:D

One of my favorite granular synth! So.... :tu:

All Granite FR here please.

I’ve been creating a variety of rhythmic patches that sort of take granite in a different direction than most examples I’ve heard. It comes from using the cycle parameter to simulate rhythms However, it’s a pain to try and get a consistent bpm when the cycle setting doesn’t give an option to sync to a note value. This will obviously have an effect on the cycle points, but it would be extremely useful to allow the option of note values.

Also, the ability to allow multiple grains to play simultaneously rather than in serial fashion would be very useful.

Would love to have cycle modulation available the Pitch parameter like the other grain parameters. No idea why it's not there and it's empty under the Pitch knob...

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:36 am However, it’s a pain to try and get a consistent bpm when the cycle setting doesn’t give an option to sync to a note value.
Thanks for your feedback. Might be a slight misunderstanding on how the cycle modulators work though.. they are often thought of as LFOs but actually they don't work like LFOs at all. They are in fact tied to the grain trigger frequency. Each time a grain is triggered the next value is 'read' from the cycle shape. So they don't even run at a constant speed because grain trigger frequency can be modulated.

So I think what you actually want is tempo synced grain triggering, which is a popular request for sure.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 am Would love to have cycle modulation available the Pitch parameter like the other grain parameters. No idea why it's not there and it's empty under the Pitch knob...
The reason was two fold: (1) pitch cycle is basically done already by pressing midi notes and (2) frankly, when tested it just almost always sounded bad.

Not totally against the idea for completeness, however although there are plans for that space already (showing the played chord), will certainly bear it in mind however and add it to the Granite official feature request poll, when we open that...
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Thanks for the early comments. Although we likely won't be able to comment on all requests rest assured we will be reviewing this thread regularly. In particular for Granite because we are yet to add a official FR poll in the User Area so this thread will serve as a useful source of ideas for that.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:22 am
Neon Breath wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:38 am Would love to have cycle modulation available the Pitch parameter like the other grain parameters. No idea why it's not there and it's empty under the Pitch knob...
The reason was two fold: (1) pitch cycle is basically done already by pressing midi notes and (2) frankly, when tested it just almost always sounded bad.

Not totally against the idea for completeness, however although there are plans for that space already (showing the played chord), will certainly bear it in mind however and add it to the Granite official feature request poll, when we open that...
Thanks for considering and putting the feature on the wishlist still. I still think pitch modulation especially with the random cycle would be useful and great for creating organic textures & non-musical sound design stuff of all sort :)

With today’s computers, I think Granite could very easily have more overlapping grains when needed and could produce even more dense grain clouds. It would be great for ultra lush soundscapes and fluffy diffused clouds. Even with its Density set to maximum, Granite tends to sound on the harsher side sometimes (although this can be useful to for some needs & specific sounds).

Still, giving the possibility to crank up the number of grains higher for the users who need and can have more would be fantastic!

Neon Breath- noted and passed on.

I would love if there was a true polyphony option. Per voice amplitude envelopes. Select-able per voice re-triggering of modulators, cycles, etc.

A full ADSR or MSEG instead of just AR would be cool too.

pinki wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:07 pm Neon Breath- noted and passed on.
Thanks!

Do you think there's a possibility and hope for more density & overlapping grains?

I'll find out.

Hope to see a Granite V2 soon, a big revamped update that is long overdue I think. Granite is pretty much the same without any major significant improvements since its initial release in 2012... :ud:

Return to “New Sonic Arts”