Purchasing a Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio as my first electric guitar.. is it a good choice?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

warlock :band:

morelia wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:55 am
Mikelo wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:01 am Thanks for the input guys.
I'll see how the Floyd does. If all fails, I guess I can upgrade later or block it.
But must admit, when I tried the shop floor model, it seemed ok.
Having a guitar is better than not. I just found I spent more time tuning than playing with a crappy Floyd Rose. That was over 20 years ago so maybe things have changed. Best of luck. Nice looking guitar. I block the trem everytime any way.
that's simply because people dont know how to set them up, I jump around from one tuning to the next on my 4 locking nut guitars and it probably takes me about 50% more time than doing it on a hardtail :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

@Mickelo

Congrats on your Jackson purchase. I have a DK34Q. The construction is first rate.
While there is a small gap between up and down on the trem overall I find it just fine for the price range. You can upgrade to a Floyd Rose at any time. Not only with the actual version not have the gap for up down it also has a heavier plate which allows for more sustain.

With regards to string changes. There used to be a tool that fit between the back of the trem and the top cavity. I'm not aware of anyone who makes them anymore. However there is a cheap solution. A little Krazy glue, the trem cover and a micro fiber cloth. Glue the cloth to cover one side of the cover as to protect the surface of the guitar. Slide the cover between the trem unit and the body to lift it up so the bridge sits parallel to the guitar. Then do your string changes. When your strings are adequately stretched and tuned push down the bar, remove the support and retune a final time.

If at some point you wish to lock the trem so it only goes down....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aIXPiFjW60
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:46 am @Mickelo

Congrats on your Jackson purchase. I have a DK34Q. The construction is first rate.
While there is a small gap between up and down on the trem overall I find it just fine for the price range. You can upgrade to a Floyd Rose at any time. Not only with the actual version not have the gap for up down it also has a heavier plate which allows for more sustain.

With regards to string changes. There used to be a tool that fit between the back of the trem and the top cavity. I'm not aware of anyone who makes them anymore. However there is a cheap solution. A little Krazy glue, the trem cover and a micro fiber cloth. Glue the cloth to cover one side of the cover as to protect the surface of the guitar. Slide the cover between the trem unit and the body to lift it up so the bridge sits parallel to the guitar. Then do your string changes. When your strings are adequately stretched and tuned push down the bar, remove the support and retune a final time.

If at some point you wish to lock the trem so it only goes down....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aIXPiFjW60
Thanks for the tip!

My new Jackson arrived yesterday, opened it to find it in perfect condition, not s scratch or ding anywhere!
Action was low and good, pretty much ready to play. No frett buzzes either!
Extremely happy!
Purchased a Hercules GS414B Plus stand for it too, another fantastic product.

Be careful about purchasing name brands. I got a Gibson years ago and it's not that great. In hindsight, I'm sure I could have gotten a really good guitar for less money.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Gibson, some years in particular, has had a pretty bad reputation that way.

I hear they’ve improved on quality control, but yeah, not a brand I’m keen on pouring money into either.

LPs sure can sound good, I’ll give them that - tone and sustain for days. But in the end, some random other guitar with nice pickups and solid setup will often be just as good, IMO.

Anyway, great you found a guitar you like already, OP. Takes some people a lot longer, and/or a lot more money.

On Gibson and Epiphone.

Prior to Gibsons acquisition of Epiphone... Epi's were considered finer instruments than Gibson.
When they closed up shop, The Epi workers went to Guild. Guild made copies of Gibsons not Epi's with slight modifications. (pickups nut width) Guilds aren't well remembered for their archtops though are well remembered for their acoustic guitars. Guild was bought out by Fender they closed the plant down and occasional production was made in Korea. (Peerless)

As for Epi production after the aquisition this happened at the Kalamazoo factory for many years (60's) they used downgraded materials but the same labor force in order to downgrade Epi's rep. Still the quality was there and many first time Epi buyers were impressed with the build quality that they upgraded to Gibsons when they had the money.

Epi's took a serious dive in the 70's with regards to quality and stayed low through the 80's and 90's. This wasn't due to the location of manufacturing but by Gibson wanting epi's to be cheap. In fact when the quality of the guitars happened to go up and or prices for manufacturing went up they would shift suppliers. FGN, Peerless, to Samick, to Cort and others. At those times Gibson would pressure these builders to stop building knock offs. Cort and Samick were both guilty of building guitars offshore in China, Indonesia and India. When you have slave labor who's only interest is three hots and a cot without any previous experience a lot is going to slip through the cracks. Gibson being pissed off that the Korean companies were merely agents took the reigns back and decided to go to the source in China.
As always it took a few years to get the quality up to a level. But over time Gibson put their foot down on raising the quality of the workmanship and improving the standard for hardware. They went through a few manufactures to do it. Prior to my recent purchase of the Epi Joe Pass, The last time I touched a new Epiphone was 5 years ago. It was an LP and it was less than stellar. It had wiring issues as well as neck issues.

That being said I was desperate for a 16 inch box and didn't have a lot of money to operate with. I went to a brick and mortar shop and tried it. I found it without flaw though the action and the pups were not to my taste. Without workmanship flaw is a big thing. Since then I've made minor adjustments to the pickup, the action and the standard neck adjustment. It's been great. The Joe Pass Emperor Pro II is the finest box I've ever played bearing the Epiphone brand name since I've been playing the guitar back in the 70's. It was $650 new with ohsc. Maybe it was the luck of the draw, maybe it was because I purchased the instrument through a reputable dealer who actually inspects and sets up guitars before they are displayed. Or maybe Gibson has gotten their act together with the cash cow.

What I have learned is that you can't judge current production values based on previous ones.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

It's true. Gibson and Epi have gone thru a LOT of quality ups and downs. Both Gibson and Fender went thru huge dips in quality when they were bought out by Norlin and CBS back in the day. And even after they regained control quality was still hit or miss at times as they tried to remain competitive. Another thing to bear in mind is that the name on the headstock GREATLY increases the price tag. Personally, I'd rather put my money in the guitar itself than the name on the headstock. Also, as has been mentioned, Epiphones have gone through many price/quality variations often due to changes in countries/companies they were made in. The same can be said in Fender's Squier brand. Now Gibson is starting to make some Epiphones in the US again. So there are now some high end Epi's that are better guitars than some low end Gibsons. This all brings to mind the phrase....."What's in a name."
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Return to “Guitars”