Getting this clean tone. . .

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking to upgrade my gear and get Sander's tone down here, or something very similar. Obviously he's got a nice flowy reverb on it, but his tones are killer imo. Got that string sound without being twangy, and his bass notes are nice and warm without being muddy. Has a lot of clarity/air to it. I've tried to find what gear he uses but haven't found anything.

How can I get a tone like this? At first I thought an amp is probably the primary sound, but then I saw he uses a lot of vintage guitars. Here he has a shell pink jag, looks like the black ones are a duosonic/mustang. Looks like he maybe swapped out the pickups, but idk, let me know what you think about that one.

In his second video I have linked (show me) he says he's "just using a reverb." Don't know if he's plugged into an amp, computer, whatever. Would you say spend more on the guitar, or the amp? My max for guitar is 500, amp 700.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWj4QSIWHls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-pvHK1W22I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea27lFH7g7s

That second one just sounds like your typical Jaguar into a Fender amp with reverb to me. I could probably get close with my homemade Jag and my Princeton Reverb. They all sound like Fender-ish amp tones to me, so I'd be looking in that Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb area. That'll get you in the ballpark. That first video has a lot of modulation on it (CE-1 style maybe?). Outside of the modulation in the first video, and lots of reverb, I'm not hearing a ton of effects.

If you want a tone in that ballpark, get some Fender guitars and a good Fender tube amp with reverb. That would be like 80% of the way there. Then maybe get an additional reverb pedal for a more dreamy verb like in the first video (I'm guessing that's not the amp's spring in that one - I have a Ventris reverb which is terrific) and a modulation pedal and you should be good to go.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:44 pm That second one just sounds like your typical Jaguar into a Fender amp with reverb to me. I could probably get close with my homemade Jag and my Princeton Reverb. They all sound like Fender-ish amp tones to me, so I'd be looking in that Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Reverb area. That'll get you in the ballpark. That first video has a lot of modulation on it (CE-1 style maybe?). Outside of the modulation in the first video, and lots of reverb, I'm not hearing a ton of effects.

If you want a tone in that ballpark, get some Fender guitars and a good Fender tube amp with reverb. That would be like 80% of the way there. Then maybe get an additional reverb pedal for a more dreamy verb like in the first video (I'm guessing that's not the amp's spring in that one - I have a Ventris reverb which is terrific) and a modulation pedal and you should be good to go.
How about the part I mention 500-700 😂 They sound great but Twins are the cheapest on the list, and they're just over budget. Even though 700 is my max I'm looking for a couple of options to weigh my choices, wouldn't want to blow all my cash in one place if something else could get me a pretty similar sound. Appreciate the response though. Also, when you say homemade Jag, did you build it yourself/use a kit? Looking into that now, seems like a good option to grab a kit, finish it myself and just upgrade the pickups.

Hana Suarez wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 am Also, when you say homemade Jag, did you build it yourself/use a kit? Looking into that now, seems like a good option to grab a kit, finish it myself and just upgrade the pickups.
Me and a woodworker buddy of mine cut, shaped, painted and finished the body from a blank. The neck, electronics, and hardware were all purchased. I'll tell you this: in the end, it was more expensive than just buying something. Kits would of course be a cheaper option. Those new Squier's like the Classic Vibe line look like insane bang-for-the-buck guitars. It's insane to think that for $400 (I'm sure you can find them cheaper used) you can get a brand new Jaguar with blocks and binding:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Cla ... 44da016fb5

Regarding the amp and price: look for a used Fender Princeton Reverb. You can find a used one in the $700 range with some patience if you can swing that. I think that's what I paid for mine. They're AMAZING sounding amps. Twins are insanely loud, so if you're gigging regularly they may be terrific but you don't want that in a house/apartment if there are other people around. Princeton's are relatively low volume, but are great for apartments/recording studios where volume isn't the most important thing. Deluxe's are kind of in-between.

Anyway, my advice is: look to buy used wherever you can to save money.

Nah, never mind.

Why not ask this guy running his channel - he is probably very helpful on this matter.
With two cathedrals of reverb anything sounds terrific.
Why he does that is a mystery, if to tutor. You just drown everything you hear.

Also downtuning a full two steps make a guitar sound different. Strings become wobbly and you loose some highs, which can be beneficial on single coils. And you might have to go up one step in gauge on strings to get more normal feel. It really starts to be rubber bands otherwise. 011-set maybe.

Hot Rod Deluxe or Vox, done

I am a big fan of the guys music as well as bitbird label.

I think that electric guitar tone is pretty standard. you can get it with IKM fender collections 2. just keep low on the volume knobs and raise the master volume in the software. i usually use clean tones in what i do but i tend to use a Roland Jazz Chorus amp sim. They sound a little brighter than fender clean and works nice in a mix with a lot of lower end and low mid synth sounds.

if you actually want to go out and buy a combo amp .maybe this one, its 1 x 12" and has reverb and tone controls.

https://shop.fender.com/en/intl/guitar- ... 05700.html
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Return to “Guitars”