PC/Mac based amp sims live/on stage--Please share your knowledge!

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This doesn't seem to be done too much. I'm interested in how you are getting it done, pros/cons, tricks/tips, etc.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Most guys don't mess with it for several reasons.

1) Many guitarists are Luddites when it comes to tech.

2) Many guitarists are tone purists and would never dream of playing
live with anything but a tube amp and stompboxes.

3) It's more of a hassle to set up.

4) Reliability/fragility computers have been known to hang and crash.
A hassle in the studio. Unacceptable on stage. Amps and stompboxes
are damn near bulletproof. They are made for the rigors of the road.
A laptop, on the other hand, is real easy to destroy. One spilled beer
and your done.

Now all that being said....I never use a computer when playing live with bands
in bars for all the above reasons. I do however have and use TONS of hard and
soft ampsims in the studio. I also use a pc live when playing smaller acoustic
gigs in more laidback venues.....wineries, coffeehouses, museums and such.

the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

:D
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

CapnLockheed wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:09 pm A laptop, on the other hand, is real easy to destroy. One spilled beer
and your done.
You would kill any electronics that way, a stomp box is just cheaper to replace... (unless there is a computer hiding within and its so powerful because of that, that they can ask for a similar price...)

Mainstage on a Mac is a good option

As long you have an Hi-z input on your interface all should be fine.
And as long there is such a big market for amp sims...
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=529757

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:11 pm As long you have an Hi-z input on your interface all should be fine.
And as long there is such a big market for amp sims...
viewtopic.php?f=290&t=529757
Yes, it was that thread that led me to start this thread. If you will notice, my comments are scattered all throughout that thread--and a great thread it is!! :-) It just surprises me that with so many people using that equipment, there surely must be some that are gigging with it. I'm curious as to what their experiences have been--good and bad. These programs don't market themselves as being primarily for studio use. In fact, marketing that I've seen seems to act like these programs are for live use. Yet, conversations here seem to indicate that these software packages are seldom used in this way. I find it strange, and I am hoping to find some people who actually use it live--or plan to use it live. :-)

I was recently helping my friend set up Helix Native with Ableton Live for his live set. It just mainly came down to mapping his external midi controller to specific functions within Helix Native, and that was pretty straightforward. I don't know what your specific use case would be, but latency would be my biggest worry (depending on how you would be running the amp sim on your computer).

Latency for sure would be a problem for real feedback sounds, but else-wise its just as if your amp is a bit further away, as if the stage is virtually bigger...; - )
In the end you create sound by listening. Its more important that it sounds good than that it sounds the same as....

transmisser wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:34 pm I was recently helping my friend set up Helix Native with Ableton Live for his live set. It just mainly came down to mapping his external midi controller to specific functions within Helix Native, and that was pretty straightforward. I don't know what your specific use case would be, but latency would be my biggest worry (depending on how you would be running the amp sim on your computer).
How was the latency in your friend's set up? What hardware was he/she using? :)

not helping this forum for free. figure it out your damn selves and let the mods run you with an iron fist
Last edited by debra1rlo on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

debra1rlo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:22 pm I've used amp sims onstage for going on 7 years now. I use a MacBookPro running MainStage and use Guitar Rig, Amplitube and PA plugins. I use a Komplete Audio 6 interface (and often a 2nd mixer for submixes when sending click & backing tracks to a live drummer) going into my Mackie PA speakers. Mostly because I switch between bass & keys or guitar & keys AND most of the bands also launch clips for FX and backings as well. I have no problems getting feedback with a guitar if I need it. And haven't had any latency issues, but I have a pretty decent interface, which helps. Most of the issues I've ever had involve the use of backing tracks + external drives, but I've learned (eventually) what not to do. Hope that helps. :)
Very interesting! Yes, that is very useful information! Could you please explain the issues you've had with backing tracks and external drives, and what you learned to do and to not do? Thank you!!

screw off kvr

f kvr

All of these things are exactly the things I wanted to know about!! Thanks Debra1rlo!! I like the Rock-N-Roller Multi-Cart idea as well! Do you have everything set up in a ATA Travel case of some kind and have it strapped down or mounted like pedalboard gear so that you can just open the case, plug in, and boot up?

Return to “Guitars”