What is your practice regiment?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 am Which is why I don't come here much anymore. One persons "opinion" is somehow treated as god, when another's is treated as garbage.

There is no use in trying to single it out, the mob rules..........
I’m not trying to force my opinion on anyone - I just thought you didn’t really recognize the helpful element of the post (and I did point out that it came over as blunt).

It’s just different perspectives :shrug:

The way to get better it to practice.

But when I feel like I am only practicing I get bored and stop playing.

So what I do to practice is force myself to play a little bit every day. Sometimes it is 10 minutes and sometimes it is 2 hours.

Rehearsal time with my band appart, that it.

It works for me.

It has to be fun!

When one practices the same songs day after day, year after year it becomes tedium/

Some people like to be incentived before starting work and some do as a reward for efforts afterwards.

That's where improvisation comes into play for me. I'll pull up one or more "Styles" in band in a box and select the demo song. Removing any melody or solo. Then just play. If you do this before you practice you may feel "rusty" If you do this after practice... take a break first. when you come back you'l feel refreshed and may enjoy the experience more because "You have deserved it." Generally I play improvised solos at least 15 minutes after my practice regiment. And I notice the improvement.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Forgotten wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:11 am Which is why I don't come here much anymore. One persons "opinion" is somehow treated as god, when another's is treated as garbage.

I’m not trying to force my opinion on anyone - I just thought you didn’t really recognize the helpful element of the post (and I did point out that it came over as blunt).

yes you do. Force and so on. It's what matters in these shitty forums.

You obviously dig it though, you've posted an average of nearly five times every day since you joined just over a year ago. ;)

Merry Xmas Scrooge!

you can bitch all you want but I tried to be a stand up dude and got shat on. Of course that doesn't matter, even though I've been QUITE absent of late. Please continue your goal towards dominance, you'll likely get it.

So as an update

I'm now practicing scales for an hour daily. Major and melodic minor one key per day across the entire fretboard though I may be switching to bebop scales.

I still am practicing drop 2 voicings. Have gotten better at dropping them into my improvised soloing but want them to fit like playing a scale pattern or arp over changes. I spend an hour on improvising using the key of the day. Firmus cantis is falling off but patterns and licks are coming back.

Past that learning standards is kind of a struggle as my attention gets weak into the third hour.

This week I'm going back to a setlist. There are always sections of songs I forget.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I recently started keyboard practice, level 1 sight reading,some blues pattern stuff and 2 octave scales. Then all of a sudden my fingerpicking improved dramatically.

I'm an advocate of learning keys, bass and guitar, all which help each other with coordination, dexterity and finger independence.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:41 pm I recently started keyboard practice, level 1 sight reading and some blues pattern stuff. Then all of a sudden my fingerpicking improved dramatically.

I'm an advocate of learning keys, bass and guitar, all which help each other with coordination, dexterity and finger independence.
Try a woodwind instrument with Boehm fingering if you want to improve coordination and dexterity. Not so bad in the root key for the instrument, but difficult to even learn glissandos in keys with a lot of sharps or flats.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:48 pm Try a woodwind instrument with Boehm fingering if you want to improve coordination and dexterity. Not so bad in the root key for the instrument, but difficult to even learn glissandos in keys with a lot of sharps or flats.
Easier said than done. I picked up a flute from a charity shop recently ... can't get a note out of the thing :hihi:

See! And that’s before you get to work on the fingering!

Forgotten wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 am See! And that’s before you get to work on the fingering!
premature ejaculation mike?

reggie1979 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:26 am
Forgotten wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:13 pm

yes you do. Force and so on. It's what matters in these shitty forums.

its what binds us
not this crude matter are we.
yes? mmm

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 am See! And that’s before you get to work on the fingering!
premature ejaculation mike?
No thanks, already had one.

saucy.

Return to “Guitars”