Do you go to a teacher?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

laurensarah925 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:42 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:20 pm
hivkorn wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 pm Never had a single guitar lesson, i think a teacher can learn you how to shred, how to play like your guitar hero but he will not learn you how to translate your feelings into music, i look a lot of youtube video and there is a lot a of good guitar player who shred better than God himself but...damn it s so boring ! There is not soul in their song, always the same "shred" in your face with no soul...it s only my opinion..
An opinion I share completely........... :tu:

Has anyone ever cried while playing Guitar ? Not tears of pain but tears of a joy that can't be properly described. I call it the Soulgasm.

To me playing guitar has always been a way to express emotions. I may suck but playing has always fed my soul......... 8)
Lol. No offense but do others feel the same way about it? :)
people are free to feel ;) just my point of view

Being broke recently and unable to buy gear has given me perspective. That I suck on guitar. I’m sick of it. Going to a teacher as soon as I have money, no more gear. I’m not afraid it’ll affect my creativity- that’s my responsibility. No more excuses, no more reinventing the wheel. Time to take advantage of humanity’s thousands of years of struggle to understand what we’re doing.

I wish I had started with a teacher that understood what I wanted to learn and was capable of helping me do it. I taught myself, but having started on an old home reed organ, I could read basic music fairly young, so that helped me with certain things. Then I became too full of myself, that and needed my measly extra money after food and rent for beer and weed. When I was 21, I had an opportunity to learn from a guy who went on to get a few IMDB credits. I went to see him for one meeting so we could check each other out. This is one of my 'I wish I...' moments in my life. Beer and weed were more important. And I lacked the objectivity to see the weaknesses in my playing (quite a few people around me when I'd play, so I thought I was 'all that'). He said I knew the fretboard well, and that he could definitely help me. I didn't think I needed help. I was somewhere in my own little Dunning-Kruger Field, or something.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Hey! Teacher!

Leave those soulful guitarists alone!

Bombadil wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:31 am I wish I had started with a teacher that understood what I wanted to learn and was capable of helping me do it. I taught myself, but having started on an old home reed organ, I could read basic music fairly young, so that helped me with certain things. Then I became too full of myself, that and needed my measly extra money after food and rent for beer and weed. When I was 21, I had an opportunity to learn from a guy who went on to get a few IMDB credits. I went to see him for one meeting so we could check each other out. This is one of my 'I wish I...' moments in my life. Beer and weed were more important. And I lacked the objectivity to see the weaknesses in my playing (quite a few people around me when I'd play, so I thought I was 'all that'). He said I knew the fretboard well, and that he could definitely help me. I didn't think I needed help. I was somewhere in my own little Dunning-Kruger Field, or something.
It took me a lot longer to get better on various instruments than it could have, and I think your story is pretty similar to mine in terms of thinking I was better than I was for a time.

I was lucky from time to time to get help from some really good musicians, but there were some long periods when I didn’t progress on any instruments. Piano is the only instrument I’ve ever taken formal lessons on, but I don’t consider it the only instrument I’ve had teachers of some sort for.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:13 pm
laurensarah925 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:42 pm Lol. No offense but do others feel the same way about it? :)
I expected to be ridiculed. :wink:

While you may be laughing at me I'm feeling nothing but pity for anyone who has never felt that level of emotion.

Of course technical proficiency has nothing to do with Soul or the lack thereof but I've always focused on playing with emotion rather than impressing people with technical expertise.

To me Music is an Art Form not a sport. :wink:

Of course YMMV......... :tu:
LOL. Just kidding man. You Rock...! 8) As long as you seek music as an art, you are on the right path, that I can tell for sure.

btw if any advanced guitar (or bass) player here wants to learn piano/keyboard, PM me and we can trade online lessons.

Return to “Guitars”