My timing is precise but ... inaccurate.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

under? I have had one half a cup of coffee in my life...I did drink pepsi or coke for decades and that was either two 2 liter bottles a day or 10-12 cans a day but I kicked 'fein in 2010. FTR in 1993 I kicked a cocaine habit (yes, indeed it has now been over a quarter century clean :D ) caffeine was more brutal to kick. The headaches were horrid but the end reluts were worth it
6. Foot tapping while playing, but don’t become dependent on it.
does anyone actually think about this? Not being a jerk, it's just that that is a reflex for me...I even find myself tapping my feet while listening to a ten second ad jingle on the idiot box (tv) :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I thought the same Hink, but I've recently had a couple of "guitar players" in my studio, and they were incapable of keeping time. " Your sequencer is speeding up" was the cry. I suggested tapping their feet to help keep time, but they couldn't do that either. Both sessions went nowhere. :shrug:

I agree with Hink that foot tapping is a reflex - guitarists can tap in time to their own playing, but it doesn’t mean that the playing is in time in the first place.

my first experiences in a pro studio was in the early 80's and the engineer insisted on a click track then...or as we called it the dick track, so we all bought one for practicing (crazy though, it was good one, electronic, just a met, we paid around 40 bux each in 1982 for them and when we started them together they always drifted apart :? ). Now I use the metronome all the time and ftr I think timing is my biggest issue as well and am always trying to improve on it...but a metronome is no longer a distraction. In fact often I forget before mixing to to shut off the metronome :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I used to think I could drum in time until I tried it in the studio - I could jam with people no problem, but drumming to a click track was so difficult and I ended up playing through god knows how many times and being dropped in over and over.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:31 pm I thought the same Hink, but I've recently had a couple of "guitar players" in my studio, and they were incapable of keeping time. " Your sequencer is speeding up" was the cry. I suggested tapping their feet to help keep time, but they couldn't do that either. Both sessions went nowhere. :shrug:
bloody jazz robots! :o

Forgotten wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:13 pm I used to think I could drum in time until I tried it in the studio - I could jam with people no problem, but drumming to a click track was so difficult and I ended up playing through god knows how many times and being dropped in over and over.
OMG this is 100% me. I bought an electric kit just to practice to a click track.

First thing you learn drumming in the studio is to really admire guys like Hal Blaine.

I've gotten a lot better at laying back in the groove now, and it's improved my live drumming. But I still come out of my fills and crash into the one, hear the click, cuss, and start again. We move a lot around in ProTools :)

JoeCat wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:18 pm I've gotten a lot better at laying back in the groove now, and it's improved my live drumming. But I still come out of my fills and crash into the one, hear the click, cuss, and start again. We move a lot around in ProTools :)
Groove is one thing, and the first time I played in the studio I found it difficult to get the bass drum in time with the bass player, as I was playing the groove too straight to synchronize with the bass notes perfectly.

Fills were an entirely different matter - I always came out of them too early, and as I tried to adjust they were just sloppy. I’m sure even now I would struggle to play to a click track (don’t own a kit, so don’t practice), but if I did, I know I would have to keep things very simple.

Forgotten wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Fills were an entirely different matter - I always came out of them too early, and as I tried to adjust they were just sloppy.
As one of my friends once said to me, "what happened there then - did you throw the drumkit down the stairs?"

Tosser.

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:43 pm
tapper mike wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm A lot of jazz musicians work on slowing tempos down then... work at being ahead (pushing) or behind (dragging) the beat. This is something that will help every artist.

Also... Practice in the morning Perform at Night.
good tip :tu:

dont worry about your timing and tell everyone its jazz :)
vurt wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:14 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:31 pm I thought the same Hink, but I've recently had a couple of "guitar players" in my studio, and they were incapable of keeping time. " Your sequencer is speeding up" was the cry. I suggested tapping their feet to help keep time, but they couldn't do that either. Both sessions went nowhere. :shrug:
bloody jazz robots! :o

Which is it?
Or is it just jazz.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

jazz is all encompassing. biddip bup bup! scoodebadabah!

tapper mike wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 pm Or is it just jazzweed.
FTFY :P

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 pm
scoobedeewahwah!! :party:

vurt wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:13 pm
scoobedeewahwah!! :party:
Nice

tapper mike wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 pm Or is it just jizzweed.

I aint smoking that

two can play this game

Return to “Guitars”