Mixing Guitar DIs with mic tracks. Is it worth it?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic

Do you mix your DI tracks with the mic tracks?

Absolutely, yes!
33%
Sometimes.
56%
Never!
11%
What's a DI?
No votes

Total votes: 9

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love to mix my DI tracks with the mic tracks. It gives some extra spice with the DI having a better attack and sharp transients. It's perfect for bass guitars, clean & crunchy guitars and even for heavy guitars on some occasions. Who's with me?
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

It depends. Sometimes it’s worth it, particularly when you want to blend in a clean part to give more emphasis to individual notes.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:16 pm It depends. Sometimes it’s worth it, particularly when you want to blend in a clean part to give more emphasis to individual notes.
Absolutely agreed. I would say it's better for solos and licks than rhythm.
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
― Arthur C. Clarke
https://www.forward-audio.com

like I say I record up to 6 tracks (7 if they are mono), up to 3 mics, dry from a radial aby box, line out from amps (or from attenuators) and stereo returns from a lexicon mx400. I do use the line out input but not always, I find typically it's best with an ir but again not always :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My Yamaha THR splits the signal so there is a direct in and an amp in. 80% of the time I'm happy with the THRC amp/effects in. The other 20% I'll use the DI and then use what is in my host to do the rest.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Never, but that's probably because my cheap piezo pickup can't keep up with my £8k mic recording chain. I have never recorded with it, as it sounds terrible, although if I was going for something experimental with FX, or playing live, I might consider using it.
Last edited by Hermetech Mastering on Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

For rhythm acoustic parts I'll often record with both DI and mic and double it all up so I've got 4 tracks then pan them as mic and DI left and right in pairs from the different takes, but in opposition. Gives a nice thick sound if you don't use too much of the DI, and probably also roll off some of the top end.

Return to “Guitars”