How long will you wait for a guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tapper mike wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:50 am
vurt wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm so far 5.5 years roughly.
This could be a good story......
Andrew Eldritch from The Sisters Of Mercy is still waiting for some ex-members to return his guitars. And he should know.

And stolen guitars...

Sitting here now, in this bar for hours
While these strange men rent strange flowers
I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours
In the metal and blood, in the scent and mascara
On a backcloth of lashes and stars
In a flood of your tears, in sackcloth
And ashes, and ashes, and secondhand passion
And stolen guitars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fKt8ZSZIxo

It may come but it will pass

Genius.

My 'best mate' robbed my Japanese Fender Squier Strat. Which was a bit cheeky as I'd already given him my first ever Gibson Les Paul copy.

Ah well.

Gonna be waiting a long time for that one to come back around.

Francis Rossi: "It's just a guitaaar!"

Btw, most of the Bass guitar you hear on that Floodland album isn't Patricia Morrison, it's a Yamaha RX-5 drum machine. All programmed in a Voyetra sequencer on Dos 3.3

I loved that guitar as well. It was a good guitar. My favourite guitar. And I want it back...

https://vimeo.com/73333698

Just give me back the guitar, Jimmy!

Still waitin'...

That's why I say have just one guitar. Any f**kers steal mine, I'd notice it quite quickly!

That attitude is heresy, right?

On topic, especially after the year I've had if I can't buy something now, I'll pass. Tomorrow is a long time away and you never know what's round the corner..

A year? Kidding me.

tapper mike wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:50 am
vurt wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:52 pm so far 5.5 years roughly.
This could be a good story......
or not.
my luthier is very like me. so it mainly involves lots of sleeping and bongs. plus im not paying so im at the very bottom of the list.

we picked out the woods, and made initial cuts and as far as im aware he has finished the electronics :shrug:

These days I am into guitars made of alternative materials. Carbon fiber, glass fiber, composits, that sort of thing. Why? Because, well... wood sucks! No, wait a minute before you go on a rant... I meant that literally. Wood sucks up moisture. :D And unfortunately it often contains either too much or too little of it, which can cause all sorts of problems. So after losing several expensive acoustic guitars that way I'm done with wood.

Sadly you won't find any non wood guitars in most shops. So forget about try before you buy. This is mainly an online market. Some of these luthiers keep a small batch in stock, but custom ordering is common practice.
So I am used to waiting about 5 to 7 months for orders to finish, but I guess I would probably draw the line at a year.

In the non wood department I currently own 2 Aristides electric guitars, a Rainsong steel string acoustic and an Emerald nylon string acoustic.

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 am Btw, most of the Bass guitar you hear on that Floodland album isn't Patricia Morrison, it's a Yamaha RX-5 drum machine. All programmed in a Voyetra sequencer on Dos 3.3
I read an interview with her about that album, and she said that even where she did play bass Andrew Eldritch overdubbed it with his own bass playing. She thinks he did it so that he didn’t have to pay her for working on the album, as she didn’t have a written contract for her time in the band.

I had to wait over a week for the Revelation bass 6 (in Fiesta Red) to be delivered. It was f**king murder. :x

Worth it though. :love:

Forgotten wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:26 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:20 am Btw, most of the Bass guitar you hear on that Floodland album isn't Patricia Morrison, it's a Yamaha RX-5 drum machine. All programmed in a Voyetra sequencer on Dos 3.3
I read an interview with her about that album, and she said that even where she did play bass Andrew Eldritch overdubbed it with his own bass playing. She thinks he did it so that he didn’t have to pay her for working on the album, as she didn’t have a written contract for her time in the band.

Could be worse I suppose.

She might have ended up playing for The Fall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zav2yrC7M

:party:

[Joke's on us probably and Jim Steinman overdubbed the lot! - it's probably not even a bass guitar, but a maraca detuned to 25 cents...]

:help:

Then again, who the hell played Tony James' bass parts?

(probably called in Patricia Morrison)

https://www.listal.com/patricia-morrison/pictures

Happy Halloween!

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 pm I had to wait over a week for the Revelation bass 6 (in Fiesta Red) to be delivered. It was f**king murder. :x

Wowee. Not seen that one before.

Looks superb!

I'd be well up for one of them.

:tu:

Didn't know you could get it in Red.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:18 am
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 pm I had to wait over a week for the Revelation bass 6 (in Fiesta Red) to be delivered. It was f**king murder. :x

Looks superb!

Very nice indeed!. I recall you said you've got a Revelation Jazzmaster already so you'll know how good they are. Also got the 12 string. :love:

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:30 am
codec_spurt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:18 am

Looks superb!

Very nice indeed!. I recall you said you've got a Revelation Jazzmaster already so you'll know how good they are. Also got the 12 string. :love:
12 String?

Kinky!

:o

She's a little beauty. Not ever leaving my side.

And while we're about it.

I hear the roar of a big machine
Two worlds and in between
Hot metal and methedrine
I hear empire down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6idMBElDk

No way did anyone ever think this was ever a human playing a bass.

I had the Yamaha RX-5 for a bit. It was about the best drum machine you could get in the world at the time. Someone hired it for us. That bass sound was unmistakable. In fact, I think it was the only Bass sound in the machine. But it was a good 'un. Sounds a lot like it.

Here's the extended mix for those that care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VuzkzlqP9A

Floodland is probably the greatest album recorded in the 20th Century.

You won't get what you deserve - you are what you take!

Hypnotic. Drawing on higher literal influences like T.S. Eliot.

Oberheim DMX (Dr. Avalanche) who got usurped by the RX-5 later IIRC.

One Oberheim keyboard. I think. I might just be making it all up now.

f**k-all outboard. But a £50,000 budget for the record. NO - the single - silly!

Jim don't come cheap.

Walking around Leeds with an iron bar up your leather sleeve.

But it's when we venture off in to the dream land of Flood this record really takes us.

Those that know, 'know'.

A record that will never be bettered in the 21st Century.

Probably the most maligned musical genius from the whole of the 21st Century.

Hard to come by, and harder to hold!

I can wait a year. I've waited a year. I've waited more than a year (YRG)

I can't wait a day though. I hate it when I get notifications it's on a truck somewhere and is expected to be delivered by X. Especially when its an hour or more or even a day after.

I most especially hate it when it arrives the minute I have to leave for work and I can't even open the box.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:57 am

I can wait a year. I've waited a year. I've waited more than a year (YRG)

I can't wait a day though. I hate it when I get notifications it's on a truck somewhere and is expected to be delivered by X. Especially when its an hour or more or even a day after.

I most especially hate it when it arrives the minute I have to leave for work and I can't even open the box.
Spot on! :lol: I'm the same; once I know somethings supposedly on its way then the irritation starts..

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:56 am

Working in the bonkers Harehills area of said city, I sometimes wonder about something like this (without the leather.. :hihi: )

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:13 am Then again, who the hell played Tony James' bass parts?

(probably called in Patricia Morrison)
If I remember right from the same interview, she brought that up and said that Tony James didn’t play a note on the album, but got paid as he insisted on signing a contract early on. So she was pretty pissed off about that...

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:07 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:56 am

Working in the bonkers Harehills area of said city, I sometimes wonder about something like this (without the leather.. :hihi: )
Just play The Sisters of Mercy really loud on your personal sound system (wtf it is) - I'm sure they'll leave you alone!

That Eldritch lad was on to something.

And if you don't have a personal sound system, just sing out aloud in a very deep baritone voice: I hear you calling Mari Aaannne!

Works for me, when I'm in the hood!

As for Tony James, I think he's probably more of a business man than anything else. He got together Sigue Sigue Sputnik, so... he really milked that Generation X thing.

Guess which one Tony is?

:party:

Martin was a bit of a dick, but Ray was cool as!

Bought my band at the time a couple of beers (and at silly London nightclub prices too!). He's a geezer!

Shit band though.

Even worse than The Sisters...

(but still not as bad as The Mission)

:hyper:

I seem to remember that Ray had great difficulty in pulling the birds!

No idea why!

Anyway, did Andy ever get his guitar back from Tim Bricheno?

(or was it Andy who stole it off Tim?)

Ah well, I'm sure it's all forgotten about now!

Check out their guitar collection though - some real bits of kit in there:

http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/tec ... uitars.htm

You might be interested in the Hohner models (of which I owned both the headless bass and the headless Jack guitar - Steinberger 'clones').

Alan Entwistle who designed and built your bass also had a hand in building them as well!

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/about.php?fllstry=y

This is an absolute must-read for any guitar nut. He talks about the ATN circuitry and his relationship with Trevor Wilkinson (Harley Benton fame and guitar guru in his own right).

Ctrl+F for "Hohner" - it's in there 38 times! :o

'Leo Fender' this, and 'Les Paul' that, but we got our own real time guitar guru from our own generation. Alan Entwistle is God! (Er, sorry, no, that was Clapton...) Oops...

This is another good page giving more info on the Revelation Guitars guru:

https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/our ... entwistle/

How long will you wait for a guitar?

I'd probably wait a good while for a Revelation.

Apparently, they don't sell them in America, so just count your blessings if you live in Europe (or Asia somewhere).

Return to “Guitars”